Author Topic: SC-301 • The Minor Pentatonic Scale: Essential Information  (Read 111279 times)

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
Re: SC-002 • The Minor Pentatonic Scale
« Reply #180 on: February 17, 2013, 12:49:00 am »
Yeah fat fingered that bit.

In short, I don't think you have to worry about it.  You are not playing chords.  Keeping your palm away from the neck was a temporary beginner's thing to help you get the chords to ring true.  You are playing a scale.  You are playing the low E string.  So I don't think you care.  Pictures would help, but if I understand what you are saying you are fine.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #181 on: February 17, 2013, 01:10:31 am »
Yes, that is pretty much the thing. I don't think I am muting anything, but figure that if it isn't ideal, it may be easier to correct now than it will be a few months from now.

I tend to do it on the G chord sometimes too when I transition to it, and on Am if I am trying to put my thumb over to mute the 6th string (nothing I can do about that one).

I wouldn't worry about chords - I thought the problem was reaching the low E with your little finger without touching adjacent strings when playing a scale? If so, it would help to get your thumb on the back of the neck, rather than the area between your thumb and fore-finger (if I have understood correctly!)

0.02p

Andy

seppuku

« Reply #182 on: June 29, 2013, 06:08:19 pm »
Hi, first post! Hope it's in the right spot.

Been playing guitar for over 20 years, but have zero theory so trying to learn.

I've just read about the CAGED system and it makes sense, but when I move onto this minor pentatonic lesson I'm stumped.

I don't see the 'E' shape or all it's notes in the position 1 diagram? It looks more like the 'G' shape to be honest.

Am I being really dense?

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 436
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #183 on: June 29, 2013, 07:14:47 pm »
It is an E shape ... but think minor ... can you see an A minor barre chord shape within that pentatonic pattern?
CAGED is used a frame of reference for Major / minor etc.
So in that shape you have
e - 5
B - 5
G - 5
D - 7
A - 7
E - 5

A minor in the E-shape chord right?

:)

ps welcome

seppuku

« Reply #184 on: June 29, 2013, 07:24:54 pm »
Hi, thanks for the reply!

I suppose I can see an A minor in there, maybe that's where I'm getting confused. Do the positions modify themselves if you're in a minor key? So if you're playing a minor pentatonic, you use the minor versions of the CAGED shapes?

I can see the root notes are in the places that are consistent with the positions as learnt.

But I'm not sure how I would extrapolate the rest of the notes in the scale from that.

Is it just the A minor chord shape with all the 'duplicate' notes added in?

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #185 on: July 03, 2013, 11:29:35 pm »
So you are at the fifth fret  playing what I think of as box 1. 

So is you playing thinking hearing Am pentatonic your root is under index finger on the sixth string (as. well as two other spots).  Anyhoo since its an E shape Am chord  you'd say that was the E shape minor pentatonic.

But if you are in the same spot playing thinking hearing C maj pentatonic your root is under your pinky (and in two other spots in the pattern as well).   In this case it is a G shape C maj chord and you'd call it G shape major pentatonic.

So E shape minor pentatonic and G shape major pentatonic define the same collection of notes in a particular spot on the neck.

Works the same way for each of the five pentatonic shapes... Dm shape/E maj shape...

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline Snaz

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #186 on: November 07, 2013, 02:49:44 pm »
Hello. I have pretty simple question. On the website Justin shows 5 positions. But on the web I also can see different 'counting' of positions. I always thought that Justin's position 1 is actually position 2. Justin's position 2 is 3 and so on. I asked my guitar teacher and he said, that my way of thinking is good. I know that is not quite important, but i want be sure. Can anyone make it clear to me?

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
« Reply #187 on: November 07, 2013, 05:08:58 pm »
Think of the positions as the chords they are derived from and not as numbers. This will clear everything
up for you.

The CAGED system(what Justin teaches) comes from the shape of the 5 open chords and their minor
shapes.

Most people start with the E(Em) shape so they call it position 1. D is 2, C is 3 A is 4 and G is 5.
Here's the 5 minor shapes. Click on the image and it will go full size and is easier to read.

Offline Snaz

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #188 on: November 07, 2013, 06:20:40 pm »
Firstly - Don't know if you didn't notice or what, but in the D Shape there are one note out from Penatotnic. I mean, in case of Emin[as in your example] it's F#[i know it is in natural scale and still fits].

Ok, so I understand, that numbers are meaningless and i should look for CAGED Shapes. It is still not clear for me[how this shapes exactly relates this pentatonic shapes], so CAGED system'll clarify it?

And by the way. This rule applies also in other scales?

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
« Reply #189 on: November 07, 2013, 07:35:41 pm »
D Shape there are one note out from Penatotnic. I mean, in case of Emin[as in your example] it's F#

Nice catch I didn't notice that I just grabbed the chart of the net.

Ok, so I understand, that numbers are meaningless and i should look for CAGED Shapes. It is still not clear for me[how this shapes exactly relates this pentatonic shapes], so CAGED system'll clarify it?

Yes the Caged system will clear thing up for you. It is easier to see the shapes if you start with the Major
scale. I'll try and use the Em in the chart to explain it with out going into to much theory.(theory is not
my best subject)  ;)

If you look at the E shape but picture it at the nut and not the 12th fret. The top red dot is your root E
the notes in the Em chord are E B E G B E The notes of the Em pentatonic scale are E G A B D.

If you play an Em chord and look at the diagram you will see the 2 note you are fretting are B and E now
add the rest of the notes of the scale to the chord which are G and A.

Now play a Fm bare chord. What you have done is move the Em chord up one fret and have to use your
index finger for the nut. Same if you move up to a Gm barre This is why it's called and E shape You can do
the same thing with all the chord shapes in the CAGED. 

It's easier to explain using the major scale so here's Justin's lesson on it.  scroll down to the bottom
of the page where the diagrams are and you'll see how the shapes relate to the chords.

http://justinguitar.com/en/SC-001-TheMajorScale.php

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
« Reply #190 on: November 07, 2013, 10:43:35 pm »
Minor and Major chords are triads (meaning 3 notes)
Pentatonic scales Major or Minor are 5 notes(Penta meaning 5)
Major,Minor and Modes have 7 notes.

Everything is derived from the major scale.
So you may want to read up on the major scale before you start the CAGED system.
C major is the easiest to understand.

Offline Steve St.Laurent

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #191 on: March 09, 2014, 10:09:22 pm »
So I'm starting to work on the other positions of the minor pentatonic.  I have the 1st position down and I also have the blues scale down (adds 1 note to the scale and with the 1st position it fits right in with Justin's suggested fingering).  I've laid out this diagram of the different positions which helps me to connect them after I've worked them out (I did this for the major scale as well - have all 5 positions of the major scale down).  Now since the blues scale just adds one note to the minor pentatonic I'd rather learn a fingering of the minor pentatonic that would incorporate the blues scale if I want to play it unless there's a good reason not to.  So I've changed Justin's suggested fingering slightly (one finger up or down) to allow me to include those blues notes. 

So the question is - am I about to make a mistake learning these positions with these fingerings and should I go ahead and learn Justin's suggested fingerings shown on this lesson instead?

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
« Reply #192 on: March 10, 2014, 01:46:53 am »
Don't waste your time learning dots. Learn the intervals see my post 5 or 6 before this one. it lays out
the intervals. once you know the intervals the dot will make way more sense.

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #193 on: March 10, 2014, 02:23:04 pm »
Steve,

I don't understand; The blue notes are included in that diagram already?
Insert humorous signature here.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #194 on: March 10, 2014, 02:52:06 pm »
am I about to make a mistake learning these positions with these fingerings

Pos1 = No
Pos2 = Yes --- I would play low E as 2 4  and reach up 1 fret on a string for a 1 1 4
Pos3 = No
Pos4 = No
Pos5 = No

Do This
Don't waste your time learning dots. Learn the intervals see my post 5 or 6 before this one. it lays out the intervals. once you know the intervals the dot will make way more sense.

BUT.. Also see the 'Positions' as ACTUAL CHORD SHAPES.

IOW... Position 3 = C Shape Chord ( some will name / argue it is C minor shape but it's basis is C SHAPE ). this may/will have a determination as to how you will play the notes.

Also... consider that the fingering is to facilitate the playing of the scales so as to learn the notes. In practice, you may use that fingering but will probably find you use other fingerings. This is where people fall apart when they learn the scale steps and chord shapes because they have these two patterns and can't play between them. They need to be in one box or the other and can't 'tie them together'. Obviously if you tie them together you will be using a completely different fingering for any given strings.

But at the end of the day.... no you are not going to hurt anything.... just don't think that is the end of the line. There is actually a tunnel up around the bend and way back inside is a dim light if you keep moving forward. Pack a lunch.... it's a pretty long walk.
Gone

Get The Forum As A Mobile App