Author Topic: SC-301 • The Minor Pentatonic Scale: Essential Information  (Read 109926 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 152
    • justinguitar.com
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 04:46:40 pm by Indigo »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

j10jep2

Re: SC-002 • The Minor Pentatonic Scale
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 06:05:02 pm »
i know the first one is in A minor but what are the others? or does it depend on where on the neck you play these scales?

Offline knighty 1

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 12:21:48 am »
Questions...
            hi justin, do i need to know all 5 pentatonic exersices by heart as you said for the major scale
                                       thanks 4 making things clear

Inspired Insanity

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 07:49:13 am »
i know the first one is in A minor but what are the others? or does it depend on where on the neck you play these scales?

hi j10jep2...
The potition in the chord boxes are all the Aminor pentationic scale. This is because the ROOT notes are 'A' therefor the scale is Am pentatonic. Im still a beginer to all the scale stuff but ive picked that up so far. I dont know what the positions for the other scales such as Cm pentatonic are but im prettu sure all those poitions hes shown are Am. I hope this was help enough. :)

Inspired Insanity

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 07:53:40 am »
Questions...

With the scale postions shown in sc 002...are they all Am pentatonic? If so where can i find the rest of the minor pentatonic scale postions. any help is much appreciated.

JoshLovesMusic

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 09:44:34 pm »
I'm sure I could help you with that but do not fully understand what you are asking...

Also this has lead me to an idea that Justin's first post should also contain a link to the lesson this thread is about, in this case the Minor pentatonic, will help those trying to help others, say like Inspired here, is asking about something from the lesson, with a link it means those who can try to help can easily navigate to the lesson and check the page to answer. Saving time for the guys helping.

Inspired Insanity

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 03:26:59 am »
I'm sure I could help you with that but do not fully understand what you are asking...

hi josh

uhm yeah im just starting out with scales. I mean in that lesson hes got 5 minor pent positions. Im pretty sure they are all Am as their root note is an A so i take it that all those positions contribute to one scale.Therefor i was just wondering what the other minor pent scale postions are? For example Cm or Gm...

Thanks in advance for any help.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 03:36:18 am by Inspired Insanity »

Quark

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 05:02:09 am »
Therefor i was just wondering what the other minor pent scale postions are? For example Cm or Gm...
Ok, if you take position One (E-shape) and start this on the low E string 5th fret then you are palying Am as you have already determined. Now if you play position One starting at the eighth fret on the low E String then you are playing the Cm pentatonic. (the eighth fret of the E string is the note C). If you start on the 3rd fret of the low E string and play Position One you are playing Gm pentatonic (3rd fret on the low E string of course is the note G). You can move position one up and down the neck. The root note will be on the low E string.
Now remember that you can use all five positions for each Key. Start with position one for all keys then work on to the next position. Hope this helps.

W

angle_fbi

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 01:52:31 am »

hello mr jason

this is your youngest brother abdulla from " BAHRAIN " small country in asia

teacher i want to ask you that theres a teacher taught me a minor pentatonic scale but not as the same way that you taught as

see below to the diagram

i hope that you understand the diagram because i just did it..

so mr jason i am confuse now

which minor pentatonic scale should i practice?

the one that you taught us? or the one who's my teacher taught me in the diagram above?

i am waiting for your replay

regards

PhillD

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 04:54:58 pm »
angle_fbi - not exactly sure what your diagram is showing but I'm guessing the confusion stems from that fact you can play a minor pentatonic scale in multiple positions. You may have learned a different position to the one Justin shows and that's why your confused.

If you are still confused then detail the fingering for a two octave version in Am. I will then try and help you out.

juindjmj

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2008, 10:41:55 pm »
ok. i know all the positions in the key of Am.. and now i would like to play songs in this key.. but the problem is that i don´t know any songs and i am an intermediate player.

I like blues rock, rock, blues, may be pop, like cream, zeppelin, clapton, beatles, etc 

can anybody tell me a few songs in the key of Am?

thanks a lot.. and sorry for my english

MrRoboto

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2008, 11:19:45 pm »

Hello All,

In Justin's rendition of "Crossroad" and elsewhere, he make reference to a Pentatonic "shape," which appears to involve making a Minor Barre chord shape in the position where he wants to do the scale (e.g. 5th fret for A) and then rotates it to play the rest of the scale. Are my eyes deceiving me? If I've got this right, is the pentatonic shape covered in some lesson I haven't come across yet or am I totally out to lunch here (always a possibility)?

Thanks a bunch,

Matt.

stevendale1

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2009, 01:52:14 am »
Greetings,

SC-002 The Minor Pentatonic Scale lists the shapes as being 1-E, 2-D, 3-C, 4-A and 5-G.  It seems to me the shapes are actually 1-G, 2-E, 3-D, 4-C and 5-A.

stevendale1

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 434
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2009, 09:10:01 am »
They are being named after the major chord that would sit over those root notes - look at those root notes, if they are A notes to make A major chords you would form the shapes as given.

Position 1 - E shape
Imagine an A major barre chord at fret 5

Position 2 - D shape
Imagine an A major chord in the D shape at frets 9  and 10 (with first finger holding bass note A on fourth string at fret 7)

Position 3 - C shape
Imagine an A major chord in the C shape with either barre or capo on fret 10

Position 4 - A shape
Imagine an A major chord in the standard open position or at fret 14 with barre or capo on fret 12

Position 5 - G shape
Imagine an A major chord played in the same way as an open G chord with barre or capo on fret 2 (or barre or capo on fret 14)

Hope this helps

stevendale1

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2009, 10:52:43 pm »
Thanks for the reply.  I see a different naming convention used for the five minor pentatonic forms.  As shown at http://www.highcountryguitar.com/caged.htm (you have to scroll down to see the pentatonic forms).

stevendale1

Get The Forum As A Mobile App