Author Topic: CH-005 • Power Chords (Part 2)  (Read 20208 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
CH-005 • Power Chords (Part 2)
« on: July 14, 2008, 04:29:42 pm »
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 05:46:41 pm by justinguitar »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Charminggent77

Re: CH-005 • Power Chords (Part 2)
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 12:05:58 pm »
Hi Justin,

Power Chords in general question. Thanks for the videos. My question relates to playing  Power Hendrix/ SRV style. i.e. Please correct me if I am wrong:
6th note Power Chord Hendrix Style: The Thumb replaces the 1st finger on the 6th string and the 1st finger now mutes the low E & B Strings. 3rd,4th and 5th fingers remain the same on the video

5Th note Power Chord Hendrix Style: The Thumb mutes the 6th string and the 1st, 3rd and 4th fingers remain in the same place.

Or is this question irrelevant because Barre Chords are the ones played in the Hendrix/SRV style?? Thanks 

Cannabitch

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 01:16:46 pm »
Hello Justin,

I'm having trouble getting power chords to sound clear when playing standing up. I keep my guitar fairly low, like Johnny Ramone. Also my thumb and wrist start hurting after a while. I've tried holding the guitar higher but that didn't help. Any advice? It's very hard to play in a band this way. :(

Big thanks in advance.

P.S You should do a video on playing standing up. ;)

Tidus

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 02:40:49 pm »
Cannabitch - keep your guitar low at the same, just position the neck higher and your wrist will be a little comfortable :) at least it helps with me (sorry if it's a pain in the ass to read my english x) cool nick btw \m/)

my question is a little bit teoric, probably it doesn't even makes sense :-\ well power chords are the fifth note or something like that right? so a G power chord will be a G, a D and a G again (correct me if I'm wrong please, I want to understand all this stuff even if it doesn't matter while playing xD)

but if I do a power chord with the root note on the D string, and play for example a F power chord, it will be F-C-E...

Is it wrong to play the root note higher than the A string or am I just missing the point? Or there's no point at all in my question, whatever :P

Haggis10Aus

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 03:31:35 pm »
When I was first shown how to play power chords it was the root note & the 5th with the 1st & 3rd finger and just play the two strings. Now I see that using the 4th finger on the octave completes the power chord.  Although I would say that you could get away with just using the 1st & 3rd finger and just play the two strings in question.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 03:33:46 pm by Haggis10Aus »

BenyRamone

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 11:50:25 pm »
hey Justin!
                I just wanted to know about the index finger muting the 6th string.  I'm learning to play guitar and I play acoustic (I only have an acoustic guitar).  Is it normal if I can't mute the sixth string with my index or am I doing it wrong?  Or, will it just come with practise?

PS: A good song to practice power chords could also be Brain Stew by Green Day  ;D

PhillD

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 03:04:02 pm »
Beny you should be able to mute the 6th string with the tip of your finger, is it that its too much of a stretch or just that you don't get the mute in place before you strike it?

If its the first one then your fingers will get more limber and you'll be able to make these stretches in time, if its the second one just practice slowly and then it will all become natural - its like muting strings in 6th chords becomes natural but at first you get ones ringing out and sounded awful.

uinthejungle

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 12:23:55 am »
is there a music theory reason why that on the smells like teen spirit u only have to move down a string with the power chord and it sounds the same as if u were still on the last string but on the lower frets.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 08:10:55 am »
is there a music theory reason why that on the smells like teen spirit u only have to move down a string with the power chord and it sounds the same as if u were still on the last string but on the lower frets.

I think I know what you mean

Fret 1 6th string - F power chord has these notes ...
F, C, F
Fret 1 5th string - Bb power chord has these notes ...
Bb, F, Bb
Fret 4 6th string - Ab power chord has these notes ...
Ab, Eb, Ab
Fret 4 5th string - C# power chord has these notes ...
C#, Ab, C#

So, each chord has a root note in the bass which is repeated an octave higher and one other note.
This other note is always the same relative 'musical distance' from the root note - the same interval. If you have any knowledge of the major scale you an trace the path from each root note and find that in all cases of these power chords, the other note is the 5th note in the major scale.
These power chords are often called 5 chords, eg F5, Bb5, Ab5, C#5 etc.

Hope that answers your question.

:)

uinthejungle

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 02:58:34 pm »

I think I know what you mean

Fret 1 6th string - F power chord has these notes ...
F, C, F
Fret 1 5th string - Bb power chord has these notes ...
Bb, F, Bb
Fret 4 6th string - Ab power chord has these notes ...
Ab, Eb, Ab
Fret 4 5th string - C# power chord has these notes ...
C#, Ab, C#

So, each chord has a root note in the bass which is repeated an octave higher and one other note.
This other note is always the same relative 'musical distance' from the root note - the same interval. If you have any knowledge of the major scale you an trace the path from each root note and find that in all cases of these power chords, the other note is the 5th note in the major scale.
These power chords are often called 5 chords, eg F5, Bb5, Ab5, C#5 etc.

Hope that answers your question.

:)

Thanks totally helped

Maver26

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 03:40:56 pm »
Hi,

I think there is fault on the site in this part. You should put your first finger in the 3rd fret of the 5th string (C) and mute the 6th string (G).

Grtz.

Maver26

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 04:23:24 pm »
Hi,

I think there is fault on the site in this part. You should put your first finger in the 3rd fret of the 5th string (C) and mute the 6th string (G).

Grtz.
It's the same text as of the Power Chord lesson part I.
(6th string is E of course and Justin.. great site, great lessons. You've helped me out alot man.)

Moo

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 05:52:07 am »
Hi I'm able to play both 5th root note and 6th root note power chords pretty well now, but something that causes me trouble is how to mute the 6th string when you are playing an A 5th root power chord. My index finger is placed below the 5th string, to mute the three highest strings, but what do I do to mute the 6th? I've tried curling my thumb over the neck to mute it, but I have relatively short fingers, so it's kind of difficult. Are there other ways to mute it?

Linsen

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2009, 11:13:37 am »
I'm not sure I'm understanding your question. Are you trying to play A5 like this?

e--x--|
B--x--|
G--3--|
D--3--|
A--0--|
E--x--|

If so, I guess you would indeed have to use your thumb to mute the low E. However, I would assume that the regular way to play A5 would be with the root note on the 6th string like this (unless you have a reason to play it with a 5th string root):

e--x--|
B--x--|
G--x--|
D--7--|
A--7--|
E--5--|

CPSTRAT

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2009, 05:43:28 pm »
Hi,

I am working away on power chord rhythms and trying to find good song examples. You mention in this lesson a product that you developed and marketed through a company (Charanga) with a bunch of songs that use power chords. Unfortunately, that program only works on PC. Any chance you could post files on the site that would be suitable for MAC download or viewing? Would like to work on more than just Teen Spririt and the blink 182 song mentioned in the lessons. Alternatively, can you point me to some suitable songs on your YouTube site?
Thanks

jimmy8879

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2010, 05:09:01 am »
Hi All,

I have been following the Beginners lessons etc... and am still quite new on the guitar but I am now facing a bit problem!!!
I am a lefty and I can't figure out how to play 5th card power chords as my fingers are the opposite way down.
Does anyone have a solution to this?

Thank you in advance.

chapman13579

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2010, 03:28:39 pm »
how to press chord A# without making weird sound please tell me
i can control my 2,3,4 finger,but i can't control the first finger.
HOW  :o0.0?? :o

Offline ashishc316

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2013, 10:31:15 pm »
hi justin,
i want to play open power chords(E5 and A5) which are used in many riffs.
can you please explain how to execute them?

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2013, 11:35:50 pm »
hi justin,
i want to play open power chords(E5 and A5) which are used in many riffs.
can you please explain how to execute them?

Not Justin, but....

You can play then the same way, *but* you don't need your index finger on the root note, as the root note is on the open E or A string. So you can use your index finger to play the rest of the chord which usually fits in better when playing other open chords:

Use your index finger to press down the 4th & 5th strings at the 2nd fret and play 6th, 5th & 4th strings for E5, or press down the 4th and 3rd strings at the second fret and play 5th, 4th & 3rd strings for A5 (with thumb muting the 6th string). In both cases, your index finger would rest lightly on the thinner strings to stop them sounding.

E5: 0 2 2 X X X

A5: X 0 2 2 X X

Oh, and open D5 is very similar, but you either need to wrap your thumb over both thickest strings to mute them, or use a spare finger.

D5: X X 0 2 3 X

Rock on!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App