Author Topic: CH-004 • Power Chords (Part 1)  (Read 47623 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
CH-004 • Power Chords (Part 1)
« on: July 14, 2008, 04:29:19 pm »
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 05:45:20 pm by justinguitar »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

RoyaleWithCheese

Re: CH-004 • Power Chords (Part 1)
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 08:11:16 pm »
In this video you mention how some power  chords can be played on only two strings. What is the difference between these two-string power chords and the more common three-string power chords? Why would a guitarist choose to play one instead of the other?

YannDoggyDawg

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 10:41:47 pm »
Hello Everybody,

My issue with power chords is how to mute the E string when playing power chords with the A string and the D string

|-------------| E not muted: very annoying sound -_-
|-------------| A Played
|-------------| D Played
|-------------| G Muted
|-------------| B Muted
|-------------| E Muted

Offline mike42

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 12:51:18 am »
Yann-

When playing power chords on the 5th string, try to mute the thick E string with the tip of your first finger. It may take a little getting used to but after a while it will become almost mechanical :)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 07:39:46 pm »
In this video you mention how some power  chords can be played on only two strings. What is the difference between these two-string power chords and the more common three-string power chords? Why would a guitarist choose to play one instead of the other?

Some guys, like in Metallica - use the two finger version. It doesn't sound as fat, but can be moved a little faster...

"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Scuzzlebutt

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 12:30:31 pm »
Hey Guys!  Smiley

I'm now playing electric guitar for about half a year. But i've got a problem where i can't find the answer  Embarrassed

It's about the thumb of the left hand. When i'm playing powerchords for some time my thumb starts to hurt real bad. So I want to know where and how i should put it on the neck while playing powerchords.

It annoys me because i'm playing in a band and at the middle of a song i've got to stop  Lips sealed..

I would be really happy if you could help me with that  Smiley

Greets,

Tobi from Germany (excuse my bad english  Wink)

Offline mark767

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 08:11:21 pm »

I think the thumb is hurting because you are squeezing the finger and thumb together.  Instead try to pull back with your hand/arm and only sqeeze enough to keep things stable.  If you do this correctly you will not have this problem anymore.  You can tell if you are doing this right by moving your right hand off the guitar...the neck should move back and the body move forward.

Mark.

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 06:23:11 pm »
scuzzle - mark is mostly right - try watching the barre chords videos - I explain it all in them! might help.

It is a combo of hand squeeze and pulling with your arm!

Good luck

J

medusa

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 04:21:48 am »
i dont get it what makes a power chord sound power chordish

Offline PetefromFinland

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 04:03:13 pm »
Hello again folks. I was wondering, Justin mentions quickly about the second finger that it may be like not straight, but that it doesn´t really matter. I noticed that he keeps it sticking quite straight there but I find it a bit strange and difficult so I let it just hang there, it tend to go curved. Maybe it is something not to be thought, though but just asking if it´s something that may affect something in the future?
I don´t see how it´d affect anything, though. Sorry about a dumb question, but I gott make sure ( .. and look like I´m posting, lol)

PhillD

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 10:58:43 pm »
Medusa - What makes a powerchord (a fifth chord) sound like a power chord? Well you are only playing two (possibly the octave as well) notes which means it sounds chunkier and lacks the notes that make a minor a minor or a major a major. If you put in the octave then the chord sounds more metal / hard rock like Judas Priest or Black Sabbath (I think they pioneered fifth riffing in but I could be wrong). Also played with palm muting and down strokes it sounds hard rock, play with up and down strokes and its more grunge like Nirvana Smells Like Teen Spirit, etc...

If you want a cool tune play your power chords muted and then in your last couple of bars add the octave and release the mute - sounds awesome and highlights the difference, makes a great effect with a bit of distortion.

You can also get cool tunes by doing power chords and using the bass string for the fifth as well, if you play bass guitar you will know what I'm on about but for those who don't - if you look at C on the A string its 5th note is G. Directly above C on the A string is G. Now that allows us to construct a special chord called a slash chord so in this case C5/G. With this you play the fifth on G note on both the D and E strings as well as the C note on the A string. Sounds really complex but isn't and gives a lovely tone. I won't go into too much detail as slash chords are another topic but it has a nice sound.

Here is a tab of it:
C5/G
e  x
B  x
G  x
D  5
A  3
E  3

Pete don't do anything that's causing you pain, that's your body telling you to stop and you can do a lot of damage getting into awkward positions on the guitar.
I am not really understanding what you mean with your positioning though - if you have a pic of it off your mobile or something and stick it on here I'll take a look. I play power chords with my first and third fingers.

Offline PetefromFinland

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 06:45:13 am »
Oh, I mean just if there´s any "rule" how to hold your middle finger, since it´s not plugging any strings. But I don´t think it matters then.. Justin says it doesn´t really, but I was just wondering will it later somehow.. since he keeps it straight. But I can´t think of what it would affect to..

bynars99

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 01:42:53 am »
One useful thing to try with these is going through the circle of fifths. Start on F, then go up to C, then G etc. stepping in fifths until you get back to F. The complete pattern is: F, C, G, D, A, E, B, F#, C#, Ab, Eb, Bb, F. Start wherever you like and when you run out of room on the fretboard just jump down an octave. It really helps with learning which notes go on which frets and you cover all 12 keys. Also try going through the pattern forwards and backwards.

-JD

abominationn

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009, 07:21:28 pm »
Hi guys,

Just a little tip for those who have problems with playing power chords on the 5Th string.
It worked for me but I'm not sure if it's useful to you guys but when playing power chords on the 5Th string I found it handy to mute the 6Th string using your 2ND finger (that would be your middle finger).
The 2ND finger is just hovering above all of the strings anyway so why not put it down a bit?
I just couldn't mute the 6Th string using my 1st finger so i used the 2ND

and BTW
a good song to practice your power chords would be "Bro hymn" by "pennywise"
It's a very well known song and freaking sweet to play  8)

Dr. Acula

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2009, 02:03:27 pm »
When I'm playing a power chord, is it a bad habit to mute the 3rd string with my little finger?  I find that if I mute the bottom 3 strings by lying my index finger over them I often apply too much pressure to the 1st string causing it to sound, but if I mute the 3rd with my little finger I can apply less pressure and mute them properly.

Thanks.

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2009, 03:19:13 am »
Hey Guys!  Smiley

I'm now playing electric guitar for about half a year. But i've got a problem where i can't find the answer  Embarrassed

It's about the thumb of the left hand. When i'm playing powerchords for some time my thumb starts to hurt real bad. So I want to know where and how i should put it on the neck while playing powerchords.

It annoys me because i'm playing in a band and at the middle of a song i've got to stop  Lips sealed..

I would be really happy if you could help me with that  Smiley

Greets,

Tobi from Germany (excuse my bad english  Wink)

OMG I had the same problem.  My left thumb would kill me.  I would stop and have to take a break and then go back to it.  Glad I'm not the only one and I will try what has been suggested!

Licksnkicks
Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

PhillD

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2009, 10:18:33 pm »
licksnkicks - its a very common problem, I find it more common on the fast neck guitars - the thin Wizard necks and less on the chunkier Gibson types. However do not do anything that causes you serious pain. It's just a symptom of pressing on too hard and the fret which causes the whole hand to tense up and bury your thumb into the neck.
It will also slow you down as you won't be able to slide between chords as easily.

I have found this to come back to haunt me whenever I am doing unusual barre chords or a chord I haven't encountered / played much for a while, basically you get so concerned about a muted string you end up gripping on for dear life - when what you really need is to relax and pull your whole hand back more. Don't worry you'll get there.

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2009, 02:11:32 am »
I have noticed when playing like a power G cord that I actually have a death grip on the strings themselves and also the thumb is just rammed right into the back of the neck.  I really noticed how fatigued and sore my thumb became right at the joint.  I really have to be very conscientous about how much pressure I use with my thumb.  I know it's NOT necessary to have a death grip and I don't know why this ever happened.  Such a stupid I guess habit to have.  I have been playing for 2 1/2 months now so I guess you could classify this as a  very BAD habit that I have nipped in the bud!  Thanks PHILLD for the info and for your support!

Licksnkicks
Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

megadeth213

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2009, 06:56:23 am »
hey  i have a problem or a its a good thing don't know but when i do a power chord lest say

-------------------
-------------------
-------------------
--7----------------
--7----------------
--5----------------

I press the 5th fret with my first finger and then barre the next to 7's with my third finger
Also my first finger just lays there like its barring all the strings and my third is just barring the rest so the E string is just open

CortMarshall

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2009, 08:46:43 pm »
hey  i have a problem or a its a good thing don't know but when i do a power chord lest say

-------------------
-------------------
-------------------
--7----------------
--7----------------
--5----------------

I press the 5th fret with my first finger and then barre the next to 7's with my third finger
Also my first finger just lays there like its barring all the strings and my third is just barring the rest so the E string is just open

I don't know what you're trying to ask.  ??? If It is that you're using your first and third finger and wondering if it's ok. Well it is. If that is easier for you then Justin's way than you should probably use that way. It is a very common way of playing it.

cortmarshall

megadeth213

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2009, 08:11:43 am »
Ya My finger the first part of my finger the first joint near the tip bends to press the power chord it presses the two 5's

PhillD

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2009, 11:43:38 am »
If your first finger is barring the two other frets it won't matter as the fretting at 7th fret will mean no other notes will be heard. Just make sure you either miss any other strings or aren't fretting them (lust lying across them so they are mute) otherwise you'll make a G minor chord instead of a power chord.

megadeth213

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2009, 07:04:58 am »
thanx apriecate the help i can switch powe chords way faster  and sorry i mean my third finger and two 7.s sorry

chay007

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2009, 08:41:13 pm »
Im trying to play power chords at the moment and i am placing my figners on the approriate frets (ie for G the 1st finger on the 6th string 3rd fret and muting the rest and 3rd and 4th finger on the 5th fret of the 4th and 5th strings respectively ) When i play pluck each string indivivually they seem to come out fine but when i play them togeather then sound comes out quite ruff and unpleasent, am i missing something

Carmine

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2009, 11:36:47 pm »
Hello,

I have a question towards tabs for powerchords.
Im following the "Master powerchords lessons" from Justin (with music coach player) and its going very well, but....

I cant seem to find any good site who got some tabs with songs 2 play.
Someone got some sites where you can find powerchord songs orso?

Thx
Carmine

Get The Forum As A Mobile App