Author Topic: CH-002 • Dominant 7th Open Chords  (Read 25969 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
CH-002 • Dominant 7th Open Chords
« on: July 14, 2008, 04:27:50 pm »
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 05:46:02 pm by justinguitar »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline JC

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 8
Why mute?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 02:01:41 pm »
In the Dom 7th chord lesson it says You should mute the 6th string (B7- and C7-chords). I was just wondering about the reason for this. Why not just avoid playing that string? (as is usually recommended) Am I missing something that's pretty obvious, maybe...?

cheers
JC
"Förr var det nu fast jävligare desto värre. Men så här jävla sämre har det tamejfan aldrig varit dåligt!" - Refaat El-Sayed -

royp

Re: CH-002 • Dominant 7th Open Chords
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 02:37:50 pm »
I had one teacher who said to just avoid hitting the strings you don't want to play. My present teacher and Justin both say to mute them. I guess it is up to you, but if you do get in the habit of muting them then you can not play them by mistake.

Offline JC

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 03:51:18 pm »
Yes, I guess that would make sense. :)

Thanks Roy
"Förr var det nu fast jävligare desto värre. Men så här jävla sämre har det tamejfan aldrig varit dåligt!" - Refaat El-Sayed -

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 07:45:52 pm »
you should do BOTH.

mute it and try and avoid it!

when playing with lots of volume, muting become VERY important!

J
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

royp

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 11:46:51 am »
Thanks Justin.

Yes, of course the string that should be muted will make a sound when you have the volume turned up even if you don't hit it, because of resonance vibrations.

So yeah, mute it and avoid it, both.

Offline JC

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 10:31:28 pm »
Yes Sir, will do!  :D

royp

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 01:25:46 pm »
 ;D  Even hitting a muted string will make a percussive noise, so I guess Justin commands and we obey.  ;)

Offline JC

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 05:41:19 pm »
Yes, we shall be good students!

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 06:18:50 pm »
And what do you prefer

1. looking a hot chicks in the audience or

2. watching you hand to miss the strings.

;D

LearningGuitar

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 02:09:27 pm »
Any song based on Dominant 7th Open Chords?

I am wondering is there any known song based on the dominant 7th Open chords to be played. I want to practice the chord progression. A song can be very handy to practice that. So , guys, PLEASE tell me a song based on the 7th dominant open chords.

Thanks.................................................
Take Care............................................

crazyguitar

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 03:07:53 pm »
Yeah, i'm also looking for a song that is based on the dominant 7th open chords... The song may contain also the basic chords (like C,E,D,A, Em, Dm, Am, etc.). Please give me a song!!! =D

Thank you,
    CrazyGuitar

girafferesident

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 08:55:28 am »
hey justin,

what theory is it behind the derivation of the dominant 7th chords?

CortMarshall

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 08:25:08 pm »
Yeah, i'm also looking for a song that is based on the dominant 7th open chords... The song may contain also the basic chords (like C,E,D,A, Em, Dm, Am, etc.). Please give me a song!!! =D

Thank you,
    CrazyGuitar
Hello
I do not know any songs. But you can make up your own songs. Just make sure you're in the right key. Say you want to right a song in the key of C. In the key of c major, the notes are C D E F G A B C. Those notes get numbers according to their position and interval within the key. If you want to make chords out of these notes then you must use a formula. The formula is numbers 1 4 5 are major and numbers 2 3 6 are minor. Number 7 is minor7b5. But i assume you dont know how to play one of those yet. lol
C d e F G a b
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
The lowercase stand for minor or minor7b5(you do not have to know what this chord is). The uppercase stand for major.

The formula is like that because you are only using notes from the key of C in the chords. You don't have to understand that right now though. Just if you know the formula then you can use chords to make your own songs.    8)  Oh and i forgot. you can make any major chord into a dominant 7th.
   The key of G has more begginer chords in it but i am going to leave the figuring out of that one to you. Just write down the notes, number them and follow the formula. This is a big step in your guitar knowledge.
And with the song writing don't feel like you need a big long chord progression. There are a lot of three chord songs. It also sounds real cool to arpegiate the chords. That is to pick them out one note or so at a time. Have fun making music. Isn't that what you want to do anyway.  :)

hey justin,

what theory is it behind the derivation of the dominant 7th chords?
The dominant seventh chord is just like a major chord except that one of the root notes is changed to a flat seventh.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 08:29:17 pm by CortMarshall »

PhillD

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 12:07:52 pm »
Guys a dominant 7 is a bluesy sounding note, so look into the 12 bar blues and make sure you get that blues shuffle going.
Quick example
E7 E7 A7 A7 E7 E7 B7 B7 A7 E7 B7 E7 go slow and get the feel right - blues is more about the feel than being perfect in your playing, but being fluid helps. Notice how the quick four at the end makes the song sound cool.
Some 12 bar blues songs to listen to:
Blue Suede Shoes, Rock Around The Clock, Johnny B Goode...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 12:14:39 pm by PhillD »

FrancescoZZ

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2009, 07:23:45 pm »
Justin do you have any lesson explaining how an A becomes an A7 or how D becomes a D7? which note changes what is the relationship, etc. I really would like to learn that stuff in order to be able to create my own chords anywhere on the neck. Hope you can help :)

Quark

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2009, 10:05:54 pm »
Justin do you have any lesson explaining how an A becomes an A7 or how D becomes a D7? which note changes what is the relationship, etc. I really would like to learn that stuff in order to be able to create my own chords anywhere on the neck. Hope you can help
An A chord contains the notes A,C#,E the first, third and fifth notes of the A scale (A, B, C#, D, E, F#, G#). The A7 chord is made up of the first, third, fifth and flatted seventh of the A scale. Therefore the A7 chord is made of A, C#, E and G.
The same principle holds true for the D and D7. Work out the D scale (D,E,F#,G,A,B,C#). The D chord is made up of the 1st, 3rd and 5th (D, F# and G) and the D7 adds the flatted 7th it is made up of the (D,F#,G and C notes).
Justin has a great chord book called the Chord Construction guide.
Hope this helps.

W

Makoky

Re: Why mute?
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2010, 12:04:16 pm »
You wnat to mute the 6th string be cause the root note is in the 5th one,the chord will sound properly when the root note is the lowest one, in b7 the 6th string is E note, and you want B as lowest note then you mute the E note to have B in the 5th string.

steveo2

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2010, 09:26:44 pm »
Any song based on Dominant 7th Open Chords?

I am wondering is there any known song based on the dominant 7th Open chords to be played. I want to practice the chord progression. A song can be very handy to practice that. So , guys, PLEASE tell me a song based on the 7th dominant open chords.

Hi I can't think of any song using Dominate 7th chords there are many I just don't know them.
I know a cool progression for the 7th chord.
The 1 6 2 5 progression sound good using all Dom chords.
Yes this is jazz so you will not want to use open chords to much.
The dom chord has a very in your face sound , the chord really stands out.
There are many songs they are all jazz
Steveo

bluesfloyd

A7 chord / A major 7 chord.
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2012, 01:06:07 pm »
hi guys,
            hope this question is in the right area, i am new here , still finding my way around,

the A7chord is (A C# E G) the A major 7 chord is ( A C# E G#) we use the A major scale ( A B C# D E F# G#) to work out a A chords, the 7 th note of the A major scale is G#,  also in the A major 7 chord, i understand that, all clear so far,                  so how is the A7 chord worked out???????????? simple anwser please guys,

all the best,         bluefloyd.

Offline sophiehiker

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2012, 01:54:42 pm »

The formula for the A7 chord is just 1 3 5 b7 in the A major scale.  That is the the first, third, fifth and flat 7th of the A major scale.
...where the deer and the antelope play.  Well, they're not really playing.  They're fleeing in terror.

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2012, 03:09:18 pm »
This website shows these "chord formulas" for all sorts of chords, including the various names and abbreviations used for them:

http://www.chordmine.com/guitar-chords/Chord/default.aspx

bluesfloyd

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2012, 05:24:13 pm »

The formula for the A7 chord is just 1 3 5 b7 in the A major scale.  That is the the first, third, fifth and flat 7th of the A major scale.

hi,   still a bit confused, A major 7 seems to stick to the rules g# being the 7 th note, so is it fair to say A7 is just another variation of the A major 7 chord , thats the only sence i can make from it, please can you explain further,

all the best,                       bluesfloyd.

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2012, 05:31:51 pm »
I'm not sure if this is clear, so I'll just tag it on: when you're talking about a "major 7" chord, the "major" does not refer to the chord being a major chord, it refers to the 7th being major (7th scale degree of the major scale), whereas the (dominant) 7th chord always contains a flat 7th (b7), the 7th lowered by one semitone.

Hence there's actually a "minor major 7th" chord, the chord formular being 1 b3 5 7.

Hope that helps a little along the way ;)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2012, 06:32:28 am »
the answer lies in the formula

1, 3, 5, 7

1, 3, 5, b7

:)

no more no less