Author Topic: CH-001 • Basic Open Chords  (Read 109746 times)

Offline PetefromFinland

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Re: CH-001 • Basic Open Chords
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2009, 06:50:27 am »
Yes, I was kinda thinking this. I was asking since the problem is that I´ve learned lots of the open chords before my guitar playing got more organised so it´s really like going back to learn to use those forms too, since I´m otherwise a bit ahead and learned to use those alternatives in some songs.

But surely you´re right that those would make some chord progressions easier. I think it won´t take me that much time though, since I know a bit more so my fingers are a bit more used to in changing things..

I think I need to arrange my practising also a bit cause of this..

Well, thanks mate!

ashman1

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2009, 03:20:22 pm »
help.  im new to the site and new to the guitar.  been playing about 3 months.  when im looking at some stuff and they say 'put this finger on the root then to the octave' what does this mean.  wheres a good place to learn about roots and octaves and how to decipher a chord?

steamjam

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2009, 02:54:40 am »
Steamjam Update! Guys, I'm 3 months on since my last post as a total beginner. I have callouses on my fingertips, open chords sounding sweet (mostly) and a big thankyou to fprintf. I stuck with your advice mate, thankyou.
I know i'm only 3 months in, but honestly, you wake up one day and your fingers suddenly find the strings. I'm focusing on trying to learn some basic strumming/fingerpicking, so I can attempt to playalong to a couple of favourite songs. Wish me luck guys, I'm loving every moment apart from 'F'  :)

PhillD

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2009, 09:05:07 pm »
ashman - a root of a chord in most cases (this will change later so everybody don't wade in) is the lowest note (thickest string) you strike in a chord and hence the one the chord's name is derived from.
A major (strike the A String open)

An octave is 8th note in the major scale, and is the same as the start note of the major scale just higher.
If you play the A major scale and count 8 steps in you will be on A again.

Hope this is what you were after.

Steamjam good work keep it up and don't worry about the F chord, its frustrating but keep with it and you'll get there

Naolslager

4-finger "F" chord?
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2009, 03:29:47 am »
Any technical or philosophical reasons not to use four fingers for the "F"?

PhillD

« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2009, 01:26:21 pm »
The four finger F is harder to get to while doing a progression of barre chords than the full barre.
Also it doesn't have the bass notes so doesn't sound as full on as the barre - although that may just be me.
I find it useful when using open chords though.

Hope this helps you but if you're using barre chords regularly and playing quickly you will see what I mean.

Phydeux

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2009, 07:57:16 pm »
Hi there.  I am transcribing Polly by Nirvana and I am trying to play the whole thing with open chords.  I have the verse (E, G, D & C) and the chorus (D, C, G & A#)  My question is on the A# which is a barre chord, how do I play it as an open chord?  I have looked for tabs, which are all for power chords and I watched the unplugged video on youtube, but he seems to be playing it as a barre chord.  Anywho, I hope I have stated my question clearly (my fingers tend to ramble).  Thank you.

PhillD

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2009, 12:31:58 am »
A# is also called Bb (just in case you don't know your fretboard not criticising, both are correct) but what you are trying to achieve is really the reason barre chords exist, to make chords more accessible. The only way I can think to do what your asking without a barre is to use just the 6th and 5th strings, but this wouldn't be the full Bb major as it would exclude the fifth. It would sound approximately right though.

A  5
E  6

I would recommend you learn the A based barre chord though, it is much better sounding for the Nirvana tunes and will be good as a learning exercise.

Moakoky

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2009, 12:30:58 pm »
The idea that guyray posts to play C chord is a good idea,but I've seen many videos where they play the G chorus 320033 in stead than 320003,,I can't understand that but they play  so, is it correct? ???
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 12:36:36 pm by Moakoky »

PhillD

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2009, 03:51:38 pm »
Yes its one of the many variations of G is the short answer, I use it for Good Riddance by Green Day.

mhelmy84

« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2009, 10:12:56 pm »
I have a question i dunno how to strum

PhillD

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2009, 08:07:20 am »
mhelmy - go and watch Justin's lessons on strumming techniques.

Moakoky

« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2009, 06:41:10 pm »
I don't know very much about guitar,but I've seen in you tube, Korean children playing guitar with very small hands, and they play like angels.

jamie 1990

Re: CH-001 • Basic Open Chords and strumming
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2009, 10:26:22 pm »
hi i have been learning how to play guitar for about a week now and i have been told its best to start off with your chords. well i can strum all right and i can find the notes i want pretty easy but i cant do both at the same time at the moment, i started off with the chords to knocking on heavens door by guns n roses and i picked it up pretty quick but i want to move on to nothing else matters by metallica  (one of my favourites)  but i cant hit the B note. am i going too far ahead of my self trying to play something that is a little harder.

flyhead

« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2009, 10:36:43 pm »
You are running way ahead of yourself! There is a lot of technique that you need to practice before attempting difficult songs. You need to be adept at chord changes and strumming patterns before trying to combine the two.
Follow Justin's lessons linearly. These are not listed in a random manner, they are sequential and based upon Justin's experience of teaching.
Even if you have no intention of becoming a blues player, the 12 bar blues lessons (as an example) are important to be able to master as a matter of pure technique and adaptation in order to progress.
There are no shortcuts worth taking if you wish to develop as a player.

jamie 1990

« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2009, 07:27:47 am »
ok thanks for the advice thnaks for telling me that i was going too far ahead.

PhillD

« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2009, 08:13:30 am »
Jamie, its all down to practice and going at a sensible pace mate. Kirk Hammett didn't become a rock god overnight and neither can anyone else!

Don't worry if it takes you a while to get your chord shapes sorted its all part of the learning.

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2009, 04:03:03 am »
I'm really sorry for this retarded and stupid question but they are called open chords because the string name is not be played for example the D open chord the D string is open and not being played.  or any of the other open chords for that matter.

Licksnkicks
Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

PhillD

« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2009, 11:13:38 am »
It's open because the root note is played open, ie no fingers involved - but you definitely play it! But it also applies to any chords with unfretted strings in them, anything where there are no unfretted strings is a barre chord.

For instance C is an open chord but its root is fretted (to make C) but it also has open strings in its production, hence open chord.

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
Re: CH-001 • Basic Open Chords and strumming
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2009, 03:22:01 pm »
hi i have been learning how to play guitar for about a week now and i have been told its best to start off with your chords. well i can strum all right and i can find the notes i want pretty easy but i cant do both at the same time at the moment, i started off with the chords to knocking on heavens door by guns n roses and i picked it up pretty quick but i want to move on to nothing else matters by metallica  (one of my favourites)  but i cant hit the B note. am i going too far ahead of my self trying to play something that is a little harder.

This was me about 4 months ago.  I just didn't realize that before you get to start playing songs that there is SERIOUS info and technique that you must learn or you will get no where really quickly.  Just start out with Justin's progression of beginner lessons and you will begin to progress very nicely and the good thing is you do it at your own pace.  There's so much to learn about guitar!  It's much harder than people give it credit for!  If your in it to win it, PRACTICE!!!  Practice as much as time will allow you and learn as much theory as you can.  This will really up your learning curve and make it that much more enjoyable because you will  be able to eventually figure out songs by yourself and not depend on tab or other crapola like that.  Ya, I'm a tab hater.  Sorry.  Have fun.
Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

guitarchic97

« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2009, 08:44:42 pm »
I AM BEGINNER.. I GOT MY GUITAR LIKE A WEEK OR TWO AGO BUT CANT PLAY IT BECAUSE MY  HIGH E STRING POPPPED I DONT KNOW HOW TO FIX IT! CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME BECAUSE TRIED TO FIX IT BUT I CANT  ??? :(

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2009, 02:44:47 am »
http://www.justinguitar.com/en/TB-003-ChangeStringsElectric.php

Is this what you need?  This is for an electric guitar.

OR

this is for an acoustic guitar

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/TB-004-ChangeStringsAcoustic.php

Hope one of these will help.  That sucks having a guitar and you can't even play.  I wish you the best in getting your guitar back to a playable condition.

Licksnkicks

MediaMan09

« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2009, 03:57:45 am »
Is there a link somewhere which gives a full tabular text listing of chords? , ie something like this:

C        X32010
Cm       X35543
Cm7      X35343
Csus4    X3301X
Cadd2    X32030
C6       X3221X
C+       X3211X
C+7      X3X354...

Quark

« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2009, 05:01:24 am »

MediaMan09

« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2009, 09:48:05 am »
Thanks - but those links provide the typical graphic for chords ... I was looking for a text listing...

C         X32010
Cm       X35543
Cm7     X35343

I would imagine there is a spreadsheet out there somewhere - its hard to find though.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App