Author Topic: CH-001 • Basic Open Chords  (Read 116815 times)

dj_madmatt

Re: CH-001 • Basic Open Chords
« Reply #75 on: November 04, 2009, 04:18:05 pm »
That's a C/G chord, a C with a G in the bass.
I used to play this one too, but it didn't fit everywhere I needed a C chord, so I kind of unlearned it again.

thanks that will help in the future. i mean I'm just picking up the guitar again i never had any lessons and this site is helping out a lot. i use to play trumpet so i have theory down and terms and what not its just tricking my self in to trans scribe in to guitar is all. well thanks again.

Irost

« Reply #76 on: November 13, 2009, 09:48:39 am »
Hey, couldn't find this anywhere, I'm wondering how to play the "H chord"? Justin mentions it in one of his video lessions, but he doesn't tell how to play it.

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 653
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #77 on: November 13, 2009, 09:58:26 am »
there isn't an H chord

muscial notation stops at G

pin-point the reference in the vid ... maybe he's joking

Irost

« Reply #78 on: November 13, 2009, 10:03:21 am »
"The note circle" he mention that germans use it.

Offline Bootstrap

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
  • Never yield.
    • The Tale Of Bootstrap
« Reply #79 on: November 13, 2009, 11:07:06 am »
Irost - for reasons that I'm not sure of, though maybe some of our German friends who frequent this forum might.... the "H" is actually the B natural note....

Cheers, Bootstrap
The best guitar is the one you have in your hands
Road Case last update 11 Mar 2012

Irost

« Reply #80 on: November 13, 2009, 11:47:56 am »
Ok, Thank you :)

Offline MadCat

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 6
  • Kassel-Germany
« Reply #81 on: November 13, 2009, 06:58:44 pm »
If you find a german song with a b note, that could also be the english b-flat.
I struggled with that quiet long, as I'm used to the german system.

Here is a little note translator:  ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_signature_names_and_translations
My gear is here

alias_noa

« Reply #82 on: December 11, 2009, 10:13:55 pm »
Hi my name is Wayne, and I used your website and video's to learn some guitar basics over a year ago. I just came across you again on youtube, and found your video about chord exercises. I went from there to your website, and found your guides on which chords to learn first. I'm really glad someone finally organized it, because not all of us can afford music lessons. I just have one question...if i'm trying to play stuff more like breaking benjamin, disturbed, godsmack, and even stuff like slipknot or u know any of that modern stuff, should I still learn the same chords in the same order? I want to make music with violins, piano, and guitar and drums, and i'm realizing its all based on chord progressions so i'm trying to learn all that stuff, but your music is a lot different from what i'm going for so I don't want to learn the wrong stuff :D. BTW i like page 99 it cheered me up when i spilled my coffee everywhere haha

-Wayne

Offline Tourniquet

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 75
  • Time exists in abundance until it runs out
« Reply #83 on: December 12, 2009, 08:47:12 am »
if i'm trying to play stuff more like breaking benjamin, disturbed, godsmack, and even stuff like slipknot or u know any of that modern stuff, should I still learn the same chords in the same order?

No matter what you want to play you require a solid foundation in the fundamental techniques. once you have those down you can afford to specialize a little.
       Road Case        Singing Primer guide

UKFretboarder

« Reply #84 on: December 12, 2009, 11:03:50 am »
Hey everyone, this is my first post.  I've been using Justin's site since february this year and it's amazing! So a big THANKS!  I have a question about the D chord, it's more a concern really. I consider myself around the start of intermediate, my chord changes are pretty fast but I just noticed, the E chord ringing out when I change to D...and also when I change to A. I've been playing D with no thumb muting the 6th and 5th, I tried this for the 1st time last night and it just felt so awkward. I know I will probably get used to it with practice but I just would like to know, is your writst supposed to bend when you hook your thumb over for the mute? Mine does, I'm not sure if that is just natural movememnt but I am a little concerned, if I keep changing to D will it affect my wrist, as you're supposed to keep it as straight as possible? That's harder down by the open chords but when I try with my thumb over it looks pretty squashed  :-\  Is it ok to play D with no muting too?

Offline Bootstrap

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
  • Never yield.
    • The Tale Of Bootstrap
« Reply #85 on: December 12, 2009, 11:16:50 am »
Of course you can play D with no muting - if you accidentally hit the 5th string no big deal as A is a note found in the D chord ie D, F#, A - even if you are way out and hit the 6th string it isn't going to be an absolute clanger as E is also found in the D scale.

Whilst I often mute the 6th string, I never bother muting the 5th string when playing the D chord - I try for accurate strumming and if I hit the occasional 5th string so be it.

Didn't quite know what you meant about the bent wrist so can't help you there.

B

UKFretboarder

« Reply #86 on: December 12, 2009, 11:30:28 am »
Heya, thanks for your quick reply. I started panicking about that lol, like I was changing to the D chord for so long without muting. The wrist bending is more like an angled wrist when I hook the thumb over. Usually its right in the middle of the neck. My palm pushes up when I put my thumb over for the mute and pushes my wrist slightly leaning towards
the neck, like this. I'm a little worried if that can lead to wrist problems or if that will be ok for just 1 chord  =) 

Offline Bootstrap

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
  • Never yield.
    • The Tale Of Bootstrap
« Reply #87 on: December 12, 2009, 12:28:00 pm »
Ok - I think I see what you mean about your wrist - I'm no physio but I can't imagine bending your wrist would cause you problems - biomechanically speaking your wrist is designed to bend backwards and forwards it is only when it goes sideways or hyper-extends forwards or backwards that the problems start.

B

guitar and pen 2010

« Reply #88 on: January 03, 2010, 07:06:35 pm »
Hello,

I have been playing the D,A and E cords for one week. My finger position is good but I have trouble muting some cords. Is this because my finger tips are still very soft? Will it become easier to play a clear cord when they harden up?

Offline Bootstrap

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
  • Never yield.
    • The Tale Of Bootstrap
« Reply #89 on: January 03, 2010, 10:21:32 pm »
Hi G & P - good decision to take up guitar :)

When you say "muting" I'm guessing you mean make the notes of the chord sound - muting actually means to stop the sound - as soon as you release finger pressure that should happen automatically. If you are still getting sound as you release the chord grip it means you are "flicking off" the string and need to work on your technique a bit to get a clean lift off the strings.

If you did mean you can't make the notes sound clearly then yes your finger tips hadening will assist with this - also making sure your finger pressure is as close to the fret as you can get it (not so easy on E & D)

A week is not very long so stick with it - success will come.

Sorry if I misinterpreted your question.

Cheers, Bootstrap

micah888

« Reply #90 on: January 06, 2010, 12:08:26 am »
Hi, my name is Micah. I have just been playing guitar for about a week now and I am having trouble switching from chord to chord. I need some advice for ways I can improve this. Thanks.  :)

Offline Bootstrap

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
  • Never yield.
    • The Tale Of Bootstrap
« Reply #91 on: January 06, 2010, 12:27:43 am »
Hello Micah and welcome.

Sorry but there is no silver bullet - what you are going through is what we all did - hard work and a fair amount of pain to be able to play anything that sounds good.

Stick with it though as the satisfaction of success is hugely gratifying.

The only tip is to see if there is a common note in the chord you are changing from - to. You can use that note to anchor your finger ad just move the others - this anchor finger gives you a known point of reference (a bit like the home keys on a qwery keyboard) and make placement a bit easier.

Good luck and keep us posted with your progress.

Cheers, Bootstrap

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 653
« Reply #92 on: January 06, 2010, 07:23:52 am »
+1 to bootstrap

welcome Micah  :)

I presume you are just learning chords A D and E.

pick just combinations of two chords at a time (e.g. A to D ... E to A etc) to try this then progress to combinations of three

hold the 1st chord
play it clean
move to the 2nd chord
play it clean

approximately how long did it take to move your fingers from one chord to the next?
ok
let's say it took 4 seconds to change
divide that time into quarters ... one second intervals
play the first chord again
hold it for 8 seconds
count very slowly
one mississippi, two mississippi, three mississippi, four mississippi
you could set a metronome to 30bpm so every beat is 1, 2, 3, 4
maybe strum the chord twice to begin (on the count of one and on the count of three)
when you reach four
anticipate for your fingers that they are going to move to the 2nd chord
allow yourself 4 seconds to change
if you can continue counting in your head, you are going to have this much time - one mississippi, two mississippi = 2 beats on the metronome
play that chord as you did for the 1st

knowing that you have a good amouunt of time within the context of a simple but slow beat should help you make a change without getting that 'gotta rush gonna fumble' state of mind
and it's helping you start to be musical
and it's obviously a start point from which you can increase the speed as you improve

I hope it helps

:)

Offline routerbooter

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #93 on: January 26, 2010, 01:52:56 pm »
Great advice close2u.  Thanks very much.

K2LU

« Reply #94 on: January 31, 2010, 05:26:58 pm »
hi all, i am new just starting to play guitar and i have probleems witch the d chords.
I have attempt the D chord, but when i put my first finger on the 3th string it mute the 2th string. I tryd to move first finger more to the 4th string but it still mute the second string.  I hope some can give tips to get a  good d chord.

Offline Tourniquet

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 75
  • Time exists in abundance until it runs out
« Reply #95 on: January 31, 2010, 06:20:39 pm »
hi all, i am new just starting to play guitar and i have probleems witch the d chords.
I have attempt the D chord, but when i put my first finger on the 3th string it mute the 2th string. I tryd to move first finger more to the 4th string but it still mute the second string.  I hope some can give tips to get a  good d chord.

Might want to double check that, the third string (G) is physically incapable of muting the second string (B) in an open D chord because of the finger positions.
       Road Case        Singing Primer guide

RePeter

Re: CH-001 • Basic Open Chords - getting frustrated
« Reply #96 on: February 06, 2010, 05:44:25 am »
I'm starting to get very frustrated with myself and my guitar.

I have been practising for about 2 months now. I say practising because at this stage I'm for sure not actually playing anything yet. I practise at least 15 minutes a night, usually a half hour or more if I can stand it. Lets say I'm trying to play a G chord. I put my fingers on the frets and strum. My fingers are always touching the strings next to the one they are fretting so the chord sounds terrible. So now I pick the notes and I straighten my fingers, shift them around up down left right and after what seems like a minute I finally get the chord to sound good. Sometimes it just won't work no matter what I do, but lets say this time it works. So now I change to a D chord. Same problem. It takes a lot of fiddling to get it to sound right. Now I change back to G. Just as bad as the first time.

I can do semi OK with some chords like E but if my fingers have to reach like C or G I have a lot of trouble. I just can't get the F at all.

If I take my time to get the chords to sound clean I can't do 5 changes in a minute. If I move from chord to chord quickly, like say 25 changes in a minute the chords sound horrible bad.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but I don't know what.

I know the answer to every question here seems to be practice, but I am practising. I would really like to start playing one day.

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 653
« Reply #97 on: February 06, 2010, 07:55:20 am »
heloo reperter

welcome

sorry to hear of your frustrations ... but you are not alone in them

go back to just the first 3 chords

A D E

use them
play them
strum pick strum them
do one minute changes with them
slowly strum a few chords with them
practice them using different rhythms from the rhythm basics lessons found throughout the beginners course
buils up your left hand finger strength, flexibility, manoeverablity, etc and your right hand strummimg and your body tempo and timing on just these three chords for a while
re-build your confidence in yourself by doing what you can achieve for a while

forget about C G and definitely F ... it sounds like you have tried to learn the next thing too fast
good luck
keep us posted

:)

Offline bika

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #98 on: February 07, 2010, 01:25:50 am »
I am trying to find fingering for a good F6 chord sounding  for the Stones "Love In Vain" taken from their Stripped album.

I bought the music to the album some time ago.
I consider this my first tentative steps into transcribing.
I know using the book  is not 100% transcribing but there are some riffs and licks to be figured out.

Appreciate and suggestions.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #99 on: February 07, 2010, 01:57:35 am »
I don't know the song you're referring to, but perhaps I can give you a website:
www.jguitar.com Type in 'F6' and try the fingerings.
Good luck.
Alternatively, you can try looking at other 6 chords (C6, D6, E6, and so on), and try moving the various shapes to your root note (F) and see (listen!) how they sound.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion
Production and mixing

Get The Forum As A Mobile App