Author Topic: CH-001 • Basic Open Chords  (Read 115381 times)

Deacon022

Re: CH-001 • Basic Open Chords
« Reply #150 on: December 22, 2012, 03:56:44 am »
Thanks for the responses.  I can play an A7 with the same two fingers.

As for the F,  I was also cheating.  1st finger holds down the bottom e and b strings with a mini barre.  I have tried the big barre F but I find the b strings muted half the time.  Been trying to get it for a couple of weeks now, and don't know if I should move on or stick with it. 

I have started doing the rock G which is pretty easy.  If the change has to be quick, I revert back to the folk G.

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 106
« Reply #151 on: December 22, 2012, 04:14:17 am »

That's the way I play my A chord and have had no ill effect. I've played for over 35 years and have
always played my A that way.
Make sure you can play the A7 with the same two fingers X02020. If you can't then learn the three finger A.

Difference being, you've been playing 35 years. Some will have learnt that way, and I'm sure lots will do this, but there's good reasons to stick with the approach Justin takes, because of the anchor fingers that you then have in place for moving to others chords.

THat's not as easily done with the Barre A, and removes a really good learning aid, and that's why Justin leaves it til later as an alternative. I use both depending on the situation.

Lotus_

Re: CH-001 • Basic Open Chords (question re: really flat fingers)
« Reply #152 on: May 04, 2013, 08:40:33 pm »
Maybe sounds weird to some of you.....but while I have no probs at all practicing due to finger pain or anything (my fingers don't really get sore for a good 10 or 15 mins) -- I do have a prob with the fact that my fingers are very flat, in particular the index finger. So even though I have cut my nails as short as I can, the actual finger pad is quite a bit lower then the nail/cuticle area, therefore in order to even get the first chords I have to use my index nail which as you can imagine is not going to work. Just was wondering if anyone else had this problem and if it is going to be a big issue or...? Doesn't help I have arthritis and that finger is a tad but crooked too :-( Thanks in advance for any advice or thoughts :-)

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #153 on: May 04, 2013, 09:45:38 pm »
Hi lotus. Just saw your post over on the coursera site too. Small world, no? Welcome to the forums.

We all have "special" fingers at first. You find your way around it.

Have a look at some of the lessons on this site, they are very good and may help you a lot. A good place to start is this one:
http://justinguitar.com/en/BC-106-PostureFingerPlacement.php

Lotus_

« Reply #154 on: May 05, 2013, 06:08:04 pm »
Thanks Brad :-) Yea I have reviewed Justin's lessons about finger placement and chords -- the only time i get the chord is when I am actually pressing on my index finger nail, the pad of my finger is so much lower then the nail area, very frustrating as the nail is cut as short as I can cut it. Anyways I will keep trying :-) Thanks so much :-)

Offline boymilker

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Trouble with A chord
« Reply #155 on: June 15, 2013, 06:44:37 am »
Hi
when I play the A chord I have trouble with the first finger on the middle string. The string always sounds flat and does not ring out as it should do. I have quite fat fingers and think this might be the problem as I can't get all three fingers on the fret very well. Any ideas. Thanks

Offline dianapettit

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #156 on: August 05, 2013, 11:55:10 am »
Hello,
I have gone through stage 1 and stage 2 beginner lessons.  Tonight I started comparing the A,D, and E chords with the A minor, D minor, and E minor chords.  To me they sound almost exactly the same.  Could you use them interchangeably if you wanted to?  Are there other chords like this too?  If so, what chords can I use interchangeably if I want to while I am learning?  I am all about learning new chords but all of the songs I like use chords that I have not learned yet and I am losing motivation because everyone keeps telling me that you can play any song with 5 chords but I know 6 chords and I feel like I can't play much.  What is going on?

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 106
« Reply #157 on: August 05, 2013, 12:10:29 pm »
They don't sound the same, minors have at least one different note. Perhaps you're not strumming all strings.

The beginners songbook has plenty of songs with 2, 3 and 4 chords, but to play songs, you also need to have the right rhythm and strumming patterns for them.

You're not going to learn to play any song simply by knowing 5 chords.

Offline sophiehiker

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
« Reply #158 on: August 05, 2013, 12:11:41 pm »
Be patient Diana.  See what @Drubbing said...

Nobody can play every song ever written after learning six chords.   ;D   True, there are a lot of two, three, four and five chord songs.  But not every song can be played with five chords.

Here's a good example of what you can do with just 4 chords.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pidokakU4I

You can; however, play a lot of neat songs with just those six.  Take a look at the songs Justin recommends after each stage of the beginner's course.   That's a really good start. 

I wouldn't go mixing major and minor chords just yet.  It'll sound kinda strange.  I'd suggest you just keep learning new chords until you can play all the songs you like.   :)
...where the deer and the antelope play.  Well, they're not really playing.  They're fleeing in terror.

Offline mouser9169

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #159 on: August 05, 2013, 10:29:06 pm »
Hello,
I have gone through stage 1 and stage 2 beginner lessons.  Tonight I started comparing the A,D, and E chords with the A minor, D minor, and E minor chords.  To me they sound almost exactly the same.  Could you use them interchangeably if you wanted to?

If I were you I would stop and take an open chord like E and E minor - very easy to play, so you know you aren't 'missing' any strings, and play them alternately until you can hear the difference. Do the same thing with D and D minor and A and A minor. Shift back and forth from E major to A minor.

Major and minor chords are not interchangeable. When you substitute one for the other you are changing the 'character' of the song. Very overgeneralized but major=bright, happy and minor=gypsy,sad,melancholy.

Don't go any further until you can hear the difference. Maybe you'll need to play a song you know that uses major chords and try playing it with minor chords so you can hear what it does to a song (It's not necessarily a Bad Thing(tm) if you do it intentionally with understanding).

You can do a 12 bar blues with A, D, and E  and then with Amin, Dmin, and Emin.
You should be able to "feel" a different mood from those two progressions.
Mouser's Rules of Music:

1) Always Trust your Muse.
2) See Rule 1)

Offline Djordje

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #160 on: August 18, 2013, 01:59:08 am »
Guys, I have started out doing the stage one 1 minute changes and I need a couple of answer and many more to come when I progress!  8)

1. How long should I do the practices? Until I master doing the D-A-E chords or? Also, how long should my practices be? I already have built up my calluses so I can last up to 1h before I notice any significant stinging notion.
2. Does my finger positioning matter since my fingers are mostly pointed like this towards the board "I", while I see Justing placing his hand kinda curved like this \\\ when he does chords. Does that matter or is it just personal taste?
3. How long does it approximately take to learn chord changes because my hand is being really slow at the moment. Can you give me some time estimate or something? Even if it takes 4 months, I won't stop but I'm just wondering on average.

That is it for now. :)

Also, are there any other good chord changes or should I stick with the D-A-E at the moment?

And, do you recommend me doing anything else or just focus on the chord changes and getting the muscle memory working?

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #161 on: August 18, 2013, 02:38:51 am »
1 For now, probably 5 minutes on each exercise. Then stop and do something else once you've done them all. I think that's what Justin recommends in his lesson plans at the end of the stage.

You ever get frustrated with trying to do something so you stop, and when you come back the next day it seems so simple? That's part of how we learn. After a while you start seeing diminishing returns on your effort because you've really learned all you can for that session, and it needs time to settle in.

What I did at first was to set the metronome at 60 bpm, and for 3 minutes go through each change I was working on. If you can't play every beat, just play every other beat. It's just hard to keep time with anything below 60 for me. Then do the 1 minute changes.

2 Some chords you will see more angling than others. C in particular is one that you almost have to angle. For the most part, try to keep your fingers as straight across the neck as you can.

3. How long is a piece of string? No one really knows how long it will take. It took me a couple weeks to get the first few up to speed. Some people can do it faster, and others it takes a month or more.

One thing I would do, especially in the first 3-4 stages, is once you feel comfortable with the material move to the next stage. Don't skip over things or speed through them, but don't feel you have to be really perfect at them either. There's just not much to practice in the first few lessons, and it's really easy to get bored if you stay in one spot too long.

Offline Djordje

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #162 on: August 18, 2013, 03:04:46 am »
Yea, true on that. So you suggest me just to practice and get my muscle memory working? Is it a problem if ( for lets say ) the D chord, I put the middle finger first and then 0,1sec after that the 4th finger on the 3rd guitar threat ( I use the index finger as the anchor finger). Is that a mistake or is it common for a beginner? Will I eventually get the fingers to move together?

Also, should I practice for more than 5min if I am willing to or limit it to 5min?

Offline mouser9169

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #163 on: August 18, 2013, 06:39:30 am »
Yea, true on that. So you suggest me just to practice and get my muscle memory working? Is it a problem if ( for lets say ) the D chord, I put the middle finger first and then 0,1sec after that the 4th finger on the 3rd guitar threat ( I use the index finger as the anchor finger). Is that a mistake or is it common for a beginner? Will I eventually get the fingers to move together?

Also, should I practice for more than 5min if I am willing to or limit it to 5min?

It's better to practice for 5 minutes 12 times consecutively than to practice for an hour straight.

Short bursts of complete concentration. Then do it again and again with different things or come back to the same thing.

As to the fingers thing - I don't know where Justin actually teaches it, but one of the first things I do when learning a new chord is just finger the chord, lift my fingers slightly off the strings, then put them back down again. Over and over. Then I keep raising my fingers and finally straighten them and place them all at once (which you would never actually do while playing - keep your fingers near the strings). When I can do that consistently, then I start practicing some changes.

Chords have a bit of a dichotomy when it comes to learning to play them. In the beginning, you're just memorizing the shape (fingers all acting together). Eventually though, you'll probably want to learn the notes and where they are in the scale (each finger on its own). That's where scale shapes (CAGED, mode patterns, all that stuff) come in to help you out.

As an example there's a very easy to play 'open' C minor chord that I don't think I've ever seen taught in any 'beginner' program (or more advanced for that matter), which surprises me because C minor is not that unusual a chord to want to play. I leave it to you to look at the notes and figure it out  :-X
Mouser's Rules of Music:

2) See Rule 1)

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 106
« Reply #164 on: August 18, 2013, 06:57:53 am »
Little and often is the best way. Concentration wanders and fatigue sets in if you try and cram. I don't believe it works as well anyway. Muscle memory is what you're building, and it takes its own sweet time.

You will get to the point where you can change all open chords automatically, but by then you're working on other things that still require repetition and concentration, so the skill of focussing in fairly short periods, and changing things up is a good one to build.

Offline Djordje

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #165 on: August 18, 2013, 10:39:11 am »
I assume that you mean 5-10min per session multiple times a day or just once?

Offline mouser9169

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #166 on: August 18, 2013, 11:06:52 am »
I assume that you mean 5-10min per session multiple times a day or just once?

If you're referring to my post, they can be back to back to back if you want (and spread out).

The key is that for five minutes (or three or six or whatever works for you) you are completely concentrating on the task at hand. No distractions. When the timer dings, you can take a breath, shake out your hands, and wind it right back up again if you want. Five more minutes of focused concentration.

How much total to practice depends on your, your life, and how much time you're willing to devote to the guitar. Spread out over a day, a beginner could easily do 3+ hours of practice and benefit from all of it. Most people don't have that kind of time. Those who want to be great players make the time. Most of us are somewhere in between the two extremes.
Mouser's Rules of Music:

2) See Rule 1)

Offline Djordje

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #167 on: August 18, 2013, 03:37:05 pm »
Alright. :)

Also, do you guys recommend me starting with a pick or? Since I find it a lot easier to pick notes with my fingers.

Offline mouser9169

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #168 on: August 19, 2013, 12:45:59 am »
If fingerstyle comes easily for you, you may want to look into using a thumb pick.
Mouser's Rules of Music:

2) See Rule 1)

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #169 on: August 19, 2013, 12:57:30 am »
Also, do you guys recommend me starting with a pick or? Since I find it a lot easier to pick notes with my fingers.

Djordje - It's covered in BC107 here:

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-000-BeginnersCourse.php

Justin recommends a pick to start with, even if you want to learn fingerstyle later.

(All the practice stuff is covered in the relevant stages, too)

The best thing you can do is work through the course right from the beginning and do just what's recommended. :)

Offline Djordje

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #170 on: August 19, 2013, 02:43:54 am »
Alright. I did it from the beginning but I just didn't use a pick. :) Thanks though.

Offline Between2Trees

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #171 on: September 02, 2014, 08:49:12 am »
Hi,

I'm not sure where this question goes but this seemed like a good guess. I've found quite few songs to play that have the first 8 chords but I've been noticing that many of these songs also have a Bm chord. I couldn't find this chord on the chords page. Is it too hard to learn as a beginner? Should I keep skipping it like I'm doing now or is there a good way to play it? Thanks for any help!

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #172 on: September 02, 2014, 10:07:01 am »
Bm pretty much requires you to play a barre chord, which is a bit more advanced.  I think that is in the intermediate course.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline Tim Mason

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 15
  • Started learning in September 2013
« Reply #173 on: September 02, 2014, 11:47:19 am »
I really wanted to work on 'Jimmy Row' by the Dead, and Neil Young's 'After the Goldrush.' Both use Bmin, but I decided that as these songs were kind of central to the reason that I picked up a guitar in the first place, I'd go for it. You can either use a chord inversion as this guy recommends - http://www.learn-acoustic-guitar.com/easy-b-minor-guitar-chord:, or you can go for the barre chord, using the Amin shape with a barre on the second fret. I found that once I'd got the F-chord more or less working, the Bmin wasn't that much harder, and, in fact, working on the one helped with the other. I'm still nowhere up to speed on the changes, but I do have these two songs that I am very keen on to work with.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #174 on: September 02, 2014, 03:06:32 pm »
There's somebody on YouTube that teaches a Bm substitute for everybody that only plays open chords. It's a Bm11, played as x20230, but IMO, it doesn't always fit.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion
Production and mixing

Get The Forum As A Mobile App