Author Topic: CH-001 • Basic Open Chords  (Read 116814 times)

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
Re: CH-001 • Basic Open Chords
« Reply #125 on: August 26, 2011, 04:59:44 pm »
Slow down the changes, get them sharp, then speed up. Good luck.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion
Production and mixing

Cozza

« Reply #126 on: November 10, 2011, 07:24:30 pm »
Hi there Justin/ everyone.

My guitar instructor has recently been teaching me B7, G, C and D as chords for a song he will eventually teach me. I've been able to play D for ages. B7 is easy, and G is almost there (just need a bit more practise).

I am having a difficult time with C. The stretch is becoming a little easier and I know with time I will be able to play this ok.
I struggle to understand what you mean when you say "don't fret the chord square". As soon as I put them slanted, my 1st finger has a habit of lying on it's side and making a 'C' instead of a '|' if you understand me. Is it good practise to play them as "square" as I do?

(I don't have a lesson until next Thurs and I'd like a heads up from you if you don't mind). Thanks x

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #127 on: November 10, 2011, 10:22:45 pm »
Your index can 'tilt' a bit to the side to form a slight 'C' and not being completely straight. That will be the most natural position for it. Just don't let it lie totally on it's side.
Production and mixing

Cozza

« Reply #128 on: November 11, 2011, 10:42:08 am »
Your index can 'tilt' a bit to the side to form a slight 'C' and not being completely straight. That will be the most natural position for it. Just don't let it lie totally on it's side.

For some very strange reason, it does. Stupid finger.  >:(
Might have to get my instructor to take a look at my chords... for some reason I magically get them 10 times better when I know he is watching me hahah

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #129 on: November 11, 2011, 09:22:28 pm »
Actually my index finger almost did that too. It would be 'leaning in' more than the other fingers. I'd just look at my fingers holding a chord and try to tilt the index finger back in such way it was more parallel to the other fingers.
Production and mixing

Cozza

« Reply #130 on: November 13, 2011, 10:16:40 pm »

This is me fretting the C chord. Playing it from memory so may have a note wrong. But is it normal to have the index finger leaning over towards the nut so much? x

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #131 on: November 13, 2011, 10:46:07 pm »
Hi,

For what it's worth, I think the *angle* of the fingers vs the fret board is OK.....but......:)

....I think you need to turn your wrist a little (like turning a door knob anti clockwise, but without moving your fingertips from where they are now) to bring your hand a bit more parallel to the neck and stop the index finger being so scrunched up.

I guess you're holding the guitar up for the photo, but if not, we can talk about that, too ;)

HTH

Andy

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 653
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #132 on: November 14, 2011, 06:47:57 am »
it's the elbow wedged against the body that bothers me ...
make a conscious effort to push that elbow out and away from you ... that will have the automatic effect of freeing up your movement and placing your whole hand / wrist / fingers in a better position

and the palm of your had is very low ... too far away from the neck
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 06:40:01 am by close2u »

Cozza

« Reply #133 on: November 14, 2011, 12:39:59 pm »
Eh, not the best approach for a photo. I was sitting on my bed with my back against the pillow.
But that is how I would do a C chord. I'm going to take your advice on board and see if I can train myself to change it... x

shreypai44

« Reply #134 on: November 25, 2011, 06:50:44 am »
are there lessons for maj7 and min7 chords ? why not ? these chords are quite important.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 653
« Reply #135 on: November 25, 2011, 06:55:09 am »
@ shreypai

they are in the Intermediate Course

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/IM-000-IntermediateMethod.php

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #136 on: November 25, 2011, 04:40:01 pm »
You can refer to one of the Jazz lessons that is about 10 basic chord grips - 5 with 5th string root, 5 with 6th string root. Them being maj7, m7, 7, maj7b5 and dim.

As for open maj7 and m7 chords, I don't really know.
Production and mixing

shreypai44

« Reply #137 on: November 27, 2011, 10:22:35 am »
I was kinda looking for open maj7 chords  :) .. but can i play these without muting the 5th n 1st string ?

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #138 on: November 27, 2011, 10:57:02 am »
Sure you can, but that's chord specific, e.g. Cmaj7 = open C majpr + lift off 1st finger (b string). But it's probably easier in the long run to learn a little bit of theory here and to apply that instead of memorizing lots and lots chord shapes. Maybe that's why there isn't a specific lesson on this (just a guess).

If you know your chord construction rules and the notes on the fretboard (or at least you're able to count them), it's usually rather simple to turn any major/minor chord into a maj7 or min7. With all 7th chords, all you do is add one note to the chord. For starters (a little simplified, but it works):

maj7 = add the note one semitone lower than the root (just an octave higher), e.g. Amajor + Ab/G# = Amaj7. The rule is 1 3 5 7.

min7 = same principle, but 2 semitones lower than the root, and you need to start from a minor chord. Amin + G = Amin7. Here the rule is 1 b3 5 b7

7 = major chord + b7 (2 semitones down from the root, an octave higher) = 1 3 5 b7

min maj7 = minor chord + 7 = 1 b3 5 7

The numbers always refer to the major scale (with the root of the chord as root note), even if you're playing a minor chord.

To find a string you can play the added note on, look for redundant notes (like the second C in the open C chord, played on the b string).

If this is all one big "wtf?" for you, then check out the (e)book "Practical music theory" on the website. Personal opinion: if you want to go anywhere on guitar, you need to learn it anyway, and it's so much easier than learning chord-shape after chord-shape.

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #139 on: November 27, 2011, 10:57:59 am »
I was kinda looking for open maj7 chords  :) .. but can i play these without muting the 5th n 1st string ?

Yes you can - there's no specific lesson that I know of, but they are mostly just slightly altered versions of the major chords - This site shows them nicely, I think:

http://gosk.com/chords/basic-c-chords-for-guitar.php

Andy

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 653
« Reply #140 on: November 27, 2011, 11:00:21 am »
open major 7 chords:

Amaj7   C maj7   Dmaj7    Emaj7    Fmaj7     
e --0--------0--------2--------0--------0----
B --2--------0--------2--------0--------1----
G --1--------0--------2--------1--------2----
D --2--------2--------0--------1--------3----
A --0--------3--------x--------2--------x----
E --x--------x--------x--------0--------x----

kiwisue

« Reply #141 on: November 27, 2011, 03:29:36 pm »
@Close2U:  Awesome, I diagramed these in my chord chart collection, thanks!

shreypai44

« Reply #142 on: November 27, 2011, 04:08:22 pm »
@misterg

awsm site mate. all the other chord websites show a lotta junk chords. thanks a lot  :D

shreypai44

« Reply #143 on: November 27, 2011, 04:10:18 pm »
btw in justin's video lessons does he show when to use these maj7 n min7 chords ? n the chord progression ? sorry low on bandwith  ;D INDIA  >:(

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #144 on: November 27, 2011, 05:47:34 pm »
Well, the odds are good that anywhere you see a minor chord you could substitute a minor 7 chord.  And you have about a 66% chance of a major 7 chord working as a substitute for a major chord.

Bottom line try it and if it sounds good it is good.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline paulmahoux

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #145 on: December 11, 2012, 07:01:01 am »
Hi Justin,

Thanks for the beginners course book, it's awesome  ^ ^

Two questions:

-Why is it "bad" to have the thumb reaching over the fretboard ? I see so many advanced players do so and,  plus, it really helps for the D chords in muting the low E string.

-I just purchased the songbook to match the beginners course book and it's on it's way, but while watching the songs list i noticed that the tonality is not as the originals : for example the level 1 song from Dire Straits, Walk of Life has a E A B chord progression but at this stage we're only supposed to know tha E A D chords. Does this mean we have to use a capo ? Maybe it will be clear when the book arrives but so far it's a bit confusing ^ _ ^

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 57
« Reply #146 on: December 12, 2012, 11:34:44 am »
Paul, that is a yes to the capo.

And regarding the thumb over technique... yes, you will use it alot in the future, for muting, and maybe even for fretting. But, at the beginning it is important to build up the muscle between the thumb and first finger. Keeping your thumb on the back of the guitar will work that muscle, so that when you get to barre chords and power chords in a few stages it will be strong enough.

The Beginners Course is a masterpiece of design, and every little bit of info is there for a reason, which you will realise when you look back.
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Fender Bass breaker 18/30, Yerasov GTA 15, Big Muff, Tubescreamer, Vox Wah,, Belcat Analog Delay, Phase 90,, Splash MkIII, Electric Mistress, Trelicoptor

Deacon022

« Reply #147 on: December 21, 2012, 02:50:57 am »
I have been playing the Open A chord with just my first and second finger, holding down the D,G and B strings.  Is this a bad habit to get into?   It seems easier for me than putting three fingers. 

I already am trying to get out of bad habits such as playing a G with just both e strings in the third fret pressed down.  (I know it is acceptable some times, but it seems I play that G all the time.)

Anyway, thanks for the help and this great site.

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 106
« Reply #148 on: December 21, 2012, 03:03:56 am »
I have been playing the Open A chord with just my first and second finger, holding down the D,G and B strings.  Is this a bad habit to get into?   It seems easier for me than putting three fingers. 

Everyone has issues with the A. It's the first you learn and no one ever believes it's physically possible at first. Millions of players will loudly disagree.

Yes it's a bad habit. Learn the right way first - breaking the rules is only a good idea when you know why and how to.

The G chord you're doing is a legit variation which is show later in the course, but again, you're simply going to limit yourself by sticking with it. The Rock G not only provides a fuller sound, it helps you learn how to move to other chords, and to fully use your fingers.

If you keep finding ways to make stuff easy, then you'll really struggle when stuff gets hard. Try and make an F chords easy, I dares ya.

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 252
« Reply #149 on: December 21, 2012, 04:21:24 am »

That's the way I play my A chord and have had no ill effect. I've played for over 35 years and have
always played my A that way.
Make sure you can play the A7 with the same two fingers X02020. If you can't then learn the three finger A.

I already am trying to get out of bad habits such as playing a G with just both e strings in the third fret pressed down.  (I know it is acceptable some times, but it seems I play that G all the time.)

There are are 4 acceptable ways the play an open G 320003, 320033, 3X0003 and 3X0033. When finger
picking a G is often played 3X000X. You will learn all these different way to play the open G and when to
use them as your playing progresses

Get The Forum As A Mobile App