Author Topic: CH-001 • Basic Open Chords  (Read 120957 times)

Offline bika

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
Re: CH-001 • Basic Open Chords
« Reply #100 on: February 19, 2010, 11:40:25 am »
I don't know the song you're referring to, but perhaps I can give you a website:
www.jguitar.com Type in 'F6' and try the fingerings.
Good luck.
Alternatively, you can try looking at other 6 chords (C6, D6, E6, and so on), and try moving the various shapes to your root note (F) and see (listen!) how they sound.

Thanks for your reply Cue.
I checked out the above site you recommended and am trying out a couple of the configurations.

Have a listen to "Love In Vain" sometime.  It's originally by Robert Johnson but the Stones, Clapton and others have all covered it.
The Stones more famously on "Let It Bleed" (Drop D tunining) then much later on their album "Stripped" (standard tuning... I think) I also found  a great clip on Youtube with the Stones recording the song with some good close ups of Richards (acoustic) & Wood playing (resonator).

Anyway thanks again
Bika

UKFretboarder

« Reply #101 on: February 22, 2010, 01:18:06 pm »
Hi guys and girls, I've just noticed something in my chord changing technique and was wondering if you could help me. I'm not sure if it is cool to do it or not, but when changing to an open G chord, I find the part under my index finger on my palm just gliding against the neck, it isn't supporting it but I can just feel it there. I thought maybe it is natural because it's quite a stretchy chord. I've read the only contact should be with your thumb but the chords ring out clear and I'm pretty sure my thumb is in a pretty good position, maybe a little high, so it peeks out behind the neck, I check my hand position, and the chords ring fine with a gap underneath the neck, except for my C chord, there's still a gap but the angle of my index kinda pushes my hand in closer to the neck. Is this all ok technique? I'm worried if I've got my hand position wrong. Thanks  =)

charlieguitars

« Reply #102 on: February 22, 2010, 09:04:32 pm »
the thing is that if it sounds right its right, if you can pick each string individually and get a note to ring out clear, then your fine.  If not, just slide that thumb down to the middle of the back of the neck and you'll find you can do a lot more in that position. 
Whatever suits you as long as your getting all the notes

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #103 on: February 22, 2010, 09:08:49 pm »
I've been playing with thumb over for quite a long time, but I realised it's better to play with the thumb on the middle of the neck, this is essential for playing barre chords. I do still occasionally use my thumb for some chords.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion
Production and mixing

UKFretboarder

« Reply #104 on: February 23, 2010, 01:44:50 pm »
Thanks for your replies  :)  Yeah the notes ring out so I guess I can just leave it, I think the best way is definitely with thumb in the middle, it creeps up high for me though, especially when I'm playing the bass strings. Another thing I noticed is my F barre to D open in 1 minute changes, my index just lays against the side of the fretboard for D, I feel it against the neck ready to barre and then it drops to the side for the D again. It doesn't affect the sound of the chord, it's just I don't want to develop lazy fingers   :P Unless it's a good thing because it means my index is in a better position to barre again. I guess it works both ways? I'm a little cautious about my overall hand position. Most of the time when I'm standing or playing in a mirror the top of my thumb is visible. Is that an ok position?

charlieguitars

« Reply #105 on: February 23, 2010, 10:16:26 pm »
yeah dude like i said if it sounds all right its fine, there is no right way to play guitar, only wrong ways.  If its not wrong, its right

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #106 on: February 23, 2010, 10:48:16 pm »
If there are no right ways and you say if it isn't wrong it's right, but that's wrong man. :P
Production and mixing

charlieguitars

« Reply #107 on: February 23, 2010, 11:00:25 pm »
haha I realized when typing that it was a paradox, but I was kind of banking on the fact that no one would notice.  Well played Cue

awfulguitarnois

« Reply #108 on: March 23, 2010, 06:15:49 pm »
Hi, I've looked all over the site and forum, and can't seem to find an answer to this question: I'm learning a song that uses a B maj chord, and I've seen tons of conflicting answers on how it is to be played.  I'm guessing the most accurate way is to barre the first fret and then use your ring finger to barre the 2nd, 3rd and 4th strings of the third fret.  This seems to be a very difficult grip to repeat.  Is there another grip someone could recommend?

Thanks in advance

PS - crap, I just realized I probably should have put it in the Barre section.  sorry.

Offline Tourniquet

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 75
  • Time exists in abundance until it runs out
« Reply #109 on: March 23, 2010, 06:28:09 pm »
Hi, I've looked all over the site and forum, and can't seem to find an answer to this question: I'm learning a song that uses a B maj chord, and I've seen tons of conflicting answers on how it is to be played.  I'm guessing the most accurate way is to barre the first fret and then use your ring finger to barre the 2nd, 3rd and 4th strings of the third fret.  This seems to be a very difficult grip to repeat.  Is there another grip someone could recommend?

Thanks in advance

PS - crap, I just realized I probably should have put it in the Barre section.  sorry.

You have the right form but the wrong location, but you are forming a Bb instead of B. gotta start at the 2nd fret.
And it is a very difficult grip to get used to... but it's worth it.
If you are familiar with the open B7 chord, muting the G string will give you a regular B chord.
       Road Case        Singing Primer guide

awfulguitarnois

« Reply #110 on: March 23, 2010, 06:30:14 pm »
Got it... thanks very much.

Jack Scurlock

« Reply #111 on: March 31, 2010, 01:23:07 am »
Thanks for the wonderful lessons.  I have found that my fingers just do not make the chords anymore.  Well, after 37 years of not playing my Gretsch Diamond Anny guitar (she sat in her case and waited until my career at sea finished) I just can't get the full chords.  So...is there a way to use, like, the top strings (E B G) to form the chords I need to fill?
I loved your new CD.  I can see you sweated blood putting that together.  I promise that someone will purchase it for me for my 'surprise' Father's Day (Grandfather's and Great Grandfather's) present.  What the heck, at 68 I am learning each day.
Fair winds and trailing seas....thanks again

Capt Jack

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #112 on: March 31, 2010, 02:09:26 am »
Yes, these are called triads. Justin did a lesson on these too. Good luck.
Production and mixing

jojox

« Reply #113 on: July 22, 2010, 12:47:56 pm »
Hi! I would like to know how should I behave when I do a chord, in particular I wonder if, in the beginning, could be better to look at the picking hand while strumming so that to hit the right number of strings for every chord or look at the frettting hand so that to make the chord sound as clearest as possible... Could be useful to improve my picking skill so that to know exactly where is the first string i have to pick without see it? I saw Justin look at the camera when playing a chord but I am just a beginner :) Moreover I would like to know if I have to stop the chord after I have played it or just let the strings ring and cover the sound with the next chord... and if I have to stop the strings from ringing how can I do it? I hope you can help me, otherwise i'll try to find out the answer gaining more experience... in the meanwhile i have to say that i am really thankful to Justin for what he does cause i think that teaching is great but do it with a smile is better :)

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #114 on: July 22, 2010, 01:13:46 pm »
I always, really, almost always look at my fretting (left) hand. But I think that is mostly because I play fingerstyle and travel up and down the neck quite a bit more than with open chords (although technically most are actually open chords).
And, just let them ring, you want to be able to hold your chords long enough. If you want to stop the strings just drop your right hand palm on the strings.
Production and mixing

UKFretboarder

« Reply #115 on: July 23, 2010, 12:37:46 pm »
Hi Jojox. When you're starting I think it's a good idea to look at your picking hand when playing chords, but make sure you concentrate on the chord shapes with your fretting hand to make sure they're in a good position first, because you want the cleanest sound possible. But as you play longer I think not looking at your picking hand when playing chords and just 'feeling' the strings and knowing where your picking hand is positioned by feel is what you are after. One great exercise on Justin's strumming techniques is when you pick the bass and play the chord, forcing your picking hand to make smaller movements when picking the bass and improving picking accuracy. Your hand will just sit there beside the strings and you'll know what string you're next to. This  just comes with time but it also makes for a great picking exercise if you are just relying on feel and will speed this process up  =)   As for ringing, as cue says you can mute the strings with your picking hand, if you are strumming then you can use an upstrum between changing chords to mute them. And as your changes improve you will just naturally relax your fingers, they won't lift off and cause ringing as much as relaxing during your changes, this will cut down on string noise too

jojox

« Reply #116 on: July 23, 2010, 11:23:29 pm »
Many thanks!

Rustyshackleford

« Reply #117 on: August 04, 2010, 12:39:21 am »
I was trying to figure out what chords go to  which scales.  That would be real useful to know.  I know chords and scales but how do you know what goes with what?

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #118 on: August 04, 2010, 01:19:32 am »
Scales have notes, the notes can make up chords. Whether it's major or minor that is determined by the intervals.
E.g.:
G A B C D E F#
GBD = G
F#AC = F#-
EGB = Em
It's too late here now to write a paragraph on it. Maybe someone else will do that for me.
Production and mixing

Offline irishalkies

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 36
« Reply #119 on: August 05, 2010, 12:13:42 am »
@Rusty

Have a read of this, it should answer your question.

http://www.justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=20935.0

Barican Nick

« Reply #120 on: February 13, 2011, 03:30:54 pm »
I have a question about the A chord.  I got an acoustic guitar for free from my uncle last week and found this site and have been practicing for a few days now.  I think I'm doing pretty good, but my finger tips are killing me!  Because I don't want to stop practicing, I found a new way to play the A chord.  I place my first finger in a position that holds down the 3rd and 4th strings so they are clear, and I mute the 2nd string, but leave the 1st string open.  I place that finger at an angle to leave room for my 2nd finger to hold down the 2rd string so it is no longer muted.  I find this is a very easy way to play the A chord, so my question is this a bad habit or will it make it harder to learn something else later on?

Thanks in advance!
Nick.

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #121 on: February 13, 2011, 03:58:28 pm »
Whoa that sounds overly complicated to me.  Why don't you just barre the 3 strings with your index finger.  A mini barre if you will.  All you have to do is angle you index finger about at a 45% angle and make sure you don't mute the high e string.  Voila an A chord.  This way your not using your fingertips really.  Your using the bottom of your finger.  Your fingertips will take time to toughen up. 
Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 670
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #122 on: February 13, 2011, 04:32:04 pm »
sounds like you are developing bad habits from the very very start
as mentioned, you can barre across with 1st finger
or
if finger tips hurt - and they will as you start
play for shorter periods and come back a little later
don't push through a pain barrier too much
don't invent strange shapes that will hold you back later on
 :)

btw

welcome
and good luck with the learning

Barican Nick

« Reply #123 on: February 19, 2011, 04:10:01 am »
Thanks for the help, but I can't seem to make the 'mini barre' for an A chord without muting either the high e or the b strings.  That's how I figured out my own way to play it.  I'm practicing both how it's taught in the videos on this site and my own way.  Seems to be working out pretty good so far.  Again, thank you for the help and support!

P.S.- My fingertips are already toughening up pretty good!

O.G. Loko

« Reply #124 on: August 26, 2011, 04:50:56 pm »
I'm having problems getting my chord changes sharp. Ive been doing my minute changes and gotten most of my changes up to 60 changes in a minute. Can someone give me some advice ?

Get The Forum As A Mobile App