Author Topic: CH-001 • Basic Open Chords  (Read 107695 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
CH-001 • Basic Open Chords
« on: July 14, 2008, 04:27:30 pm »
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 05:45:39 pm by justinguitar »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

photography27

Re: CH-001 • Basic Open Chords
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 02:25:09 pm »
Please tellme how to do an easier A chord PPPLLLEEEAAASSSEEEE, i have big fingers and i cant squeeze them all in, i'm a newbie of about 10 days playing.
i have tried the 1 2 3 finger position, the 2 1 3 finger position, its all still a squeeze. I'm on an accoustic.
thanks
mik

BaNa

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 11:13:46 am »
Mik, you have to put more effort into your question, if you want people to put effort into a reply (it's only fair?). That goes for every one else who uses crap texted style question and then expect a concise reply. U no hu u r.

Every one struggles within the first days/weeks. I do and did.  Your question doesn't make sense but I am guessing you, like me are looking down at the old Walls Sausages and thinking how the heck can I get those into that tiny little chord shape  ??? Two answers.

1.  Time and practice:   Will eventually crunch those little porkers into the the Barre. It's important to look at the strings around the fingers.  If the string next to the finger which is holding down a note, is not being played, don't be afraid to rest against it. For instance in the C chord, it's OK to rest the index finger against the open E string, which will only mute it and stop that pudgy index muting the D.  Trust me, it's amazing to look back after a few months a remember how hard you found the D Chord and how easy it has become. It gives you the confidence to know, that when you get a new Chord which is HARD as hell, you can persist with it, knowing it will eventually be as easy as the D has become.

2.  Customize:   Some times it just won't work. There is just no way of stuffing those Porkers into that tiny Gap. Now I should add here in defence of those that might say I am having a go at Fat People "It's not the case"  I am not fat or even close to it, it's just like many I am blessed with short, strong, handsome ;) if slightly portly fingers. This for those of you that don't know means we have Pads much bigger than your average? player. I have met loads of Chubby players with the slenderest of fingers.
So use those fingers to your advantage and hold down two strings if needs be, where people with pin head fingers haven't the hope in hell of crunching two strings to the board.

A recent example of my own custom hold, is in Justins Triad lessons. Shape 1.   Justin Barres two strings with his index and holds the G string down with his middle finger. My Middle finger won't get in there. It wants to mute the strings around it and the string of my neighbours Ukulele, it just won't work. No problem, I use my ring finger on the G, same sound less crowding.

If you need some confidence take a browse around You tube and see some of the portliest fingers tiptoeing over the fret board. It will come to you. It maybe a little harder than for others but maybe that will make you a more accomplished player. If you want to fell humble take a look at Mark Goffeney he is a Genius http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mlfTYAaUWc or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOTXk3Ba7aY I am  driven to not complain when I watch him :-[

Message for the Site:  How about a forum for the Finger Challenged?  It would be good to hear people with short/fat/thin fingers and how they have had to adapt patterns to work for them.

Oh and by the way Hello :D  First post here :)  Thank Justin you are an inspiration.

Bans (Steve)

Offline hmtaylor

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 06:13:33 am »
I have very small fingers...mine are not fat fingers I think they stopped getting bigger when I was 15...I am 23...........I'm having an impossible time with the open F chord!!!

the problem is, to get the two bottom strings to ring clear it is near impossible to arch my other fingers to meet the strings....they're just not long enough......basically, I do the cheat F chord....any suggestions???

Everyone keeps telling me that with practice it will fall into place I hope......(I plan on playing F as a barre chord!)

*PS I'm afraid I will suffer with triad chords as the one position also barres the first two strings with the first finger

Outside of barring strings, my short fingers are okay, I adapt...I have no problems playing anything else...yet (I'm new)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 06:21:35 pm »
I'm sorry but there is no solution other than practice.

I have seen and taught people with huge fat fingers and others (like kids) with small hands and they get there in the end.

Check out Andea Segovia - on of the greatest players that ever lived - he has HUGE fingers, he was a fat dude!

Good advice Bans :) cheers J
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline routerbooter

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 12:53:10 am »
Does anyone else have any trouble with the B string on the first fret.  I don't have particularly thick fingers but it seems I have great trouble with chords such as C major and A Minor, since the first finger always seems to be either touching the G string or the high E string.  I don't seem to have any trouble on any other open chords which don not involve fretting the B string on the first fret. 

Was hoping that someone could tell me that this is nothing to worry about before I stick my first finger in a vice to make it thinner.

Thanks

Offline mike42

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 01:25:11 am »
How long have you been playing? We all have issues with one chord or another, and at first it seems impossible to make all your fingers go where they should, but practice should solve this.

So put down the vice router, and pick up your guitar. All you need is some more practice ;)

Francisco

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 11:56:35 am »
Hi All,

My main problem with D chord is that I have thick fingers and have developed the (perhaps bad) habit of doing this chord using the 3rd, 4th and 5th fingers instead of the usual 2nd, 3rd and 4th...

But it becomes a bit of a problem when trying to tie a DSUS4 chord afterwards in my folk acoustic guitar (steel strings, narrower arm than classic nylon strings guitar!).With the "convencional" D chord arrangement it is easier,though....

As you can see, I 'm in a sort of dilemma...
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 12:49:42 pm by Francisco »

Rezn8r

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 12:44:48 pm »
No dilemma at all.  Just like the previous posts say, the answer is practice.

You might be happy you can play the D with those fingers sometime, though, for quick changes between D and Dm, like if you ever try Tommy Johnson's Big Road Blues.

Offline knighty 1

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 11:10:44 am »
Questions...
      first of all i'd like to thanks justinfor all his dedicated work to this site,i have learn't so much from your site  , thanks.
  been playing a few months and its getting there, got some easy song books but dont understand on some songs there are two chords together ie  f/g at the end of bar 4 ,do i play both as in 1,2 or is it a choice of either,can anybody help. also rhytm patterns where there are only chords, is it all down to ear,been on justins rhytm sites and have got them down ok. thanks again .

Rezn8r

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 11:31:06 am »

steamjam

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2008, 04:35:16 pm »
Hi guys, just registered on the forum. I'm an absolute beginner and bought my Guitar a week ago. (Fender CD60) I've found it easier to get 'A' sounding sweet by using Justin's 2, 1, 3, finger position approach.

I'd like some advice however, on finger position for 'D'. I can play it sweet switching fingers 1 and 2 around on the 2nd fret. My finger positions are therefore 2,3,1, as opposed to traditional 1,3,2, Is this ok, or bad practice? I know i've only been at it a week but your thoughts would be appreciated.

fprintf

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2008, 04:50:03 pm »
Steam, your best best is to follow the fingerings as Justin has recommended. While it may seem easier to play the chords the way your fingers want to fit on the strings, usually there is some method to the madness. In the case of the D chord, (edit on second thought) it is probably alright, though I prefer the traditional way.

In any case, you have only been playing a week. My recommendation is to follow the chords *exactly* as written until you become skilled and then you can decide how you like to do things. For example, I play my A chord as 123 or sometimes 234 or sometimes as a barre with my 2nd finger.

Regardless, the guitar has been played for centuries and the fingerings are pretty old. People are always playing around with tunings and fingerings, so what we have seems to be a well-settled set of efficient rules. No sense modifying the rules until you know what you are doing... stick with it, it is very very hard the first few months.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 04:52:21 pm by fprintf »

guyray

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2008, 10:30:26 pm »
I was just checking out the Basic Open Chords page, as an added comment to the C chord fingering, it is also common, at least for bluegrassers, to finger it with the third finger on the third fret of the 6th (low E) string and the forth finger on the third fret of the 5th string. This way one can alternate between the C note on the 5th string and the G note on the 6th string. This is used in lots of country arrangments as well. Of course, now that I think about it, this fingering is a bit tough to get your hand around right off the bat, so learn the one shown first and then give this one a try later on...

don't worry it will come, and when you feel like smashing your guitar, just set it aside for awhile and chill, frustration will be along with you for the rest of the ride, but when you finally get something down, revel in it...

LearningGuitar

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2008, 02:23:13 pm »
How one should practice chord progression to get the maximum?
n How long one should practice? Whether one should practice with metronome or without it? If with the metronome, what should be the bps to set?

PhillD

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2008, 08:17:06 pm »
How one should practice chord progression to get the maximum?
n How long one should practice? Whether one should practice with metronome or without it? If with the metronome, what should be the bps to set?

Well mate simple answer is start out without the metronome while you are not attempting a rhythm or just learning how to finger the chords - after that its a must have item in my experience. Before that its a distraction...
As for how long to practice well as often and for as long as you can, do at least 15 mins per night.

Jason1

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2008, 05:53:41 pm »
I looked for Andea Segovia on youtube and didn't find anything? Anyone have a link?

Rezn8r

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2008, 08:43:41 pm »
Try searching for Andrés Segovia instead.

fprintf

Jason1

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2008, 09:21:21 pm »
Thanks.

Welshdai

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2008, 11:56:14 am »
Please tellme how to do an easier A chord PPPLLLEEEAAASSSEEEE, i have big fingers and i cant squeeze them all in, i'm a newbie of about 10 days playing.
i have tried the 1 2 3 finger position, the 2 1 3 finger position, its all still a squeeze. I'm on an accoustic.
thanks
mik
I there new to the guitar myself and i had trouble with the A chord so added 5 mins to my practice time, just for this one chord and it worked out great for me. Also try switching from the D chord to the A chord, i found that i could do this fairly easy as there is not much hand movement needed. This also built up my confidence at the same time making me more relaxed. What i found to my surprise was that when i got the 213-finger position sorted out for some reason i could also play the 123-finger position as well.

The F chord is my next challenge as I am finding this really hard. I will attack it the same way as the A chord, watch Justin playing the chord to check out his hand & finger position, set myself an extra 5mins practice time just for the F chord, find a chord that I can change too (I am thinking the C chord) get myself relaxed and practice, practice and more practice. Good luck and keep up the good work.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 11:58:43 am by Welshdai »

jnbastin

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2009, 06:28:05 pm »
Hello Everyone!  Newbie here, been dreaming and wanting to play for many years and finally got my first guitar (Fender-cd60) on Christmas day and have been playing it at least 30-45+ minutes everyday since.  Luckily, I knew about a month prior that I was going to get it so I started researching and found this site.  Here's my question:  I'm getting open chords down OK and was wanting to work on my chord progressions.  Is there a listing of basic or common chord progressions out there or should I just base my chord progression practice to whatever the next song is I want to learn?

jnb

Dhaga2

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2009, 08:03:55 pm »
Yea, it's best to base it on songs you want to learn.

Offline PetefromFinland

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2009, 05:32:12 pm »
I'm sorry but there is no solution other than practice.

I have seen and taught people with huge fat fingers and others (like kids) with small hands and they get there in the end.

I was wondering would it be essential to know the recommended variations showed if one has bee playing some time using others? For example, I find it easiest to play A with fingers 2-3-4 in a row and of course that recommended pattern would be easier with those fingers, cause they´re smaller. The same with A7, which seems surprisingly difficult played with finngers 1 and 2. I find alot easier to use the finger 2 and 3. Also with these variations it is way easier to mute the 6th string with the thumb.

So if one has been playing and using some other alternative, should one still learn to play those recommended ones? Is there a huge benefit from it? Sure I know it may be better to know more variations, but does it make a difference in every case, for example A?

I started to play more "for real" not that long ago so there are some things I know more and some maybe basic things that I need work on, so I´m not sure how will it be in the future with this.. so if I get to learn to use the other variations properly, is it ok to use the ones I´ve been using on songs for example? Or should I make the effort and start only using for example that cramped A?

Thanks, great site!
Petri
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 05:41:38 pm by PetefromFinland »

PhillD

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2009, 10:42:24 pm »
Pete - having alternatives can be handy but the standard ways of doing a chord are there because they are the best for going to all different chords you might want to. For instance if you learn an alternative you might find it virtually impossible to go to another chord from you version, whereas the 'standard' ways are really easy. There are no hard and fast rules as long as you get the notes that make up the chord correct.

I find Justin's alternative A chord method (2-1-3) perfect for the D-A-D-A bit of Summer of '69 whch uses Sus chords (these are a bit ahead so don't worry if you haven't heard of them), try your alternatives but learn the standard ones too. Also as you progress you will see the A and Am chords develop in Am7, Amaj7 and A7 which again are nice in 'standard' form. Also it will make a lot more sense when you go onto Barre chords, which without going into too much detail use the 1-2-3 finger pattern of A but using your 2nd, 3rd and 4th fingers instead as your first finger is otherwise occupied.

Hope this helps you out.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App