Author Topic: TE-107 • String Bending Vibrato  (Read 11848 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 139
    • justinguitar.com
TE-107 • String Bending Vibrato
« on: August 31, 2008, 03:37:24 pm »
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 03:46:08 pm by Indigo »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline Bluebuthappy

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 7
Re: TE-009 • Bend Vibrato
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 01:23:59 am »
First thanks for the vids very informative.  One thing that seems to be happening a lot when I try a vibrato on a bend is that the strings which I'm not bending slip under my fingertips making unwanted noise.  How do you stop that?  Is it finger position or pressure on the string?  The annoying thing is it's not happening all the time so it's hard to figure out what's going on.

Anyway thanks again

t0pw0p

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 03:46:34 pm »
When I bend the 3rd string up, my finger goes into the 4th string which slips under my finger and makes a slight noise as it hit the metal on the fret board.

Any ideas how that can be prevented?

Offline DeadlyChicken

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 22
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 07:19:48 am »
I just wanted to say O M G revelation. thank you Justin  :)

The thing with bend vibrato for me was.  Well with normal vibrato, you start on a note, and bend up and back to the note, up and back to the note ... .to get vibrato effect

So when I came to try and figure out bend vibrato, I was trying to reach the pitch with the bend, then bend up and waver between pitch and above pitch.  I just assumed it would be the same as unbent vibrato in that regard.

This is why I had so much trouble with it, and possibly why others are too ( You seemed a little confused as to why people thought it was so much harder ) now hitting pitch and letting it come down a bit and then back to pitch..... SOOOO much easier, sure its still going to take time to get right but its so much closer already.  I feel a bit stupid really :D

But thank you so much for this lesson, it just had me stumped for ever.

With regards to the other two questions, I will let Justin give his advice, but have you tried using your index finger to bend the string above the one you are trying to get vibrato on.  Do not pick the string, but use your index finger to bend it out of the way of the string you are working on with your ring and middle finger.  I think its quite a common method to mute out strings when just normal bending as well, could be worth trying.
Gear:~
Electric
Epiphone Les Paul Std, Fender MIM Strat, Gherson SG copy
Amps
Roland Cube 30X, V Amp pro, Marshall DSL401
Acoustic
Ashton SL29CEQ, Fender Malibu SCE
FX
TU-2, crybaby JH-1b, DS-2, EH Stereo Memory Man w Hazarai

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 139
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 10:47:18 am »
my guitar is still being modded but I was too curious and checked out all the vibrato vids.

even without guitar a learned a lot of technique I was so puzzled about... thanks a lot J!

indeed chicken ... I both hear and ee people either bending the string above too as well  muting it...
A friend of mind that is quite educated in music and guitar does neither and still never finds himself tumbling over the other strings. his hand is almost flat on the fretboard when pushing the string up... guess his picking is very precise.
my band Point Fifty

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 139
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 06:38:42 pm »
muting the strings is a tricky one when you start.

you should make sure that tip of your first finger is touching the string above it... and your picking hand should be also muting the strings above the bent string.

I'm sure I answered this someplace else...

Cheers DC ;)

J
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

BORNintoMUSIC

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 09:24:49 pm »
Hey Justin,

Thank you so much for Comfortably Numb - and everything you do!

My question applies specifically the Comfortably numb video and TE-009.  You do a bend Vibrato during the first solo at the following second marks: 0:26 and 0:33.  Do you use the same technique taught in your TE-009 video at those second marks during the comfortably numb video?  Or is this just one of those situations where I have to "work" at it?

Thanks man,  :)
Brandon

whiteboy1150

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 05:26:25 pm »
Hey Justin thanks for the site, very helpful.

I've been working on my bending vibrato for a while now, about a month I guess and it doesn't seem to improve all that much ???. I watched your video on it at least 6 times but it seems like I can't get it right. I can sort of get it on the higher frets (12-15), yet it seems impossible on the lower ones. Maybe it's a problem with my pivot point or something like that I don't know but any advice would be appreciated.

greatbigbrain

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 07:15:31 pm »
Hiya Justin,

I have a couple of questions on your technique if you don't mind...

• Is your index finger resting on the strings below the string you're bending (to dampen them), or are you higher up on your fingertips than that?
  • How do you manage to silence the strings above the bend, specifically with your left hand? They tend to get stuck under my 3rd finger and ring out.

I think that's it. I'm probably over-thinking it a bit, but I keep making the same mistakes!

Thanks a lot!

-steve

Offline perfopt

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 04:19:58 am »
I am trying to follow this technique. I think I got a hang of the action. I let the string move down a little and push back. But the sound gets damped very quickly so I dont get the vibrato sound after about 1-2 times.

What could I be doing in correctly.
Anything I can do to fix this problem?

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 330
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 07:31:21 am »
@ perfopt ... in other words you have a lack of sustain?

on your guitar ... a better set up designed for bending ... slightly raised action

on your amp ... a bit more volume or drive

on your effects ... some compression

Offline perfopt

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 09:35:13 am »
If I dont try vibrato and just hold the bend the sound lasts for some time. So I think the guitar and amp set up are probably fine.

The moment I try vibrato the sound damps to zero by the time I do one or 2 movements of the string. So I suspect it it largely a technique thing

Get The Forum As A Mobile App