Author Topic: TE-101 • Finger Stretching Exercise  (Read 61965 times)

Offline BabyBlue

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
Re: TE-007 • Finger Stretching Exercise
« Reply #105 on: January 03, 2017, 09:58:52 pm »
Any advice for someone who's pinky finger consistently lies on its side turned toward the center of the hand?

Thanks

Was the post just below in response to this?  I have this problem too (but fortunately not the wrist pain).  I feel as though my fingers are deformed, pinky especially.

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
Re: TE-101 • Finger Stretching Exercise
« Reply #106 on: January 03, 2017, 11:12:26 pm »
BB

Exercise 2 is great for sorting the pinky out but be patient. As Justin says start on the 8th fret were the frets are closer and get stretching there before moving down towards the neck. Just take your time. Exercise 4 will also help but start Ex2 and see how you get on. One thing I would say is that it takes some concentration at the beginning, almost more a mental rather than physical challenge.

Thanks for the prompt as I need to incorporate back into  my practice as there's a pattern in the Blues Rhythm course I'm really struggling with !!

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline CanadaMike

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #107 on: April 15, 2018, 01:19:15 am »
I just stared Stage 3 of the beginners course today.  I'm sure like many people I was having difficulty with G & C chords.  I couldnt get the notes played because my fingers werent in the right position. 

I then went onto the finger stretching exercises and did them for a few minutes.  I then went back to G & C and was able to play them properly.  Cant argue with immediate results :)

I'm not claiming next time I play them it will work, probably just because my fingers were loosened up.  But its nice to be able to see results right away.  And I know if I'm having issues with some of the chords I can do some of these stretches to prepare. 

Offline willsie01

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #108 on: January 06, 2019, 07:55:24 pm »
Not sure this post is very visible as I have a notification it's at least 120 days since last posted to.
However, the title is just what I want to post on so I'm keeping my fingers crossed I'll get some responses.

Last Christmas I started on the first lesson of the IM Blues rhythm course but struggled so much with the first lesson shuffle that needs a giant stretch (for me) of 5 frets, from 8 to 12 that I gave up and for a year I've been doing the finger stretching exercise TE-007 hoping to improve my stretch so I could do the shuffle exercise.
Unfortunately I still can't do it and I think it's my little finger that is the problem because with the blues shuffle it has to be placed on the 5th string while the first is still pressing on the 6th. not quite the shape of stretching on the same string. and suggestions for exercises to overcome this problem?

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 203
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #109 on: January 06, 2019, 08:03:32 pm »
Not sure this post is very visible as I have a notification it's at least 120 days since last posted to.
However, the title is just what I want to post on so I'm keeping my fingers crossed I'll get some responses.

Last Christmas I started on the first lesson of the IM Blues rhythm course but struggled so much with the first lesson shuffle that needs a giant stretch (for me) of 5 frets, from 8 to 12 that I gave up and for a year I've been doing the finger stretching exercise TE-007 hoping to improve my stretch so I could do the shuffle exercise.
Unfortunately I still can't do it and I think it's my little finger that is the problem because with the blues shuffle it has to be placed on the 5th string while the first is still pressing on the 6th. not quite the shape of stretching on the same string. and suggestions for exercises to overcome this problem?

Saw the post Willsie, but regret that I can't suggest any exercises,  but thought I'd reply just for moral support.

Offline willsie01

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #110 on: January 06, 2019, 08:06:49 pm »
Saw the post Willsie, but regret that I can't suggest any exercises,  but thought I'd reply just for moral support.

At least I know it's not quite a "dead" thread  :)
Thanks, David :)

Offline jono

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #111 on: January 06, 2019, 08:45:59 pm »
A wise man told me to use the D string 8th fret instead of stretching the pinky( barre with the 1st finger). It's also hard to do but is easier.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline jono

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #112 on: January 06, 2019, 08:48:57 pm »
PS - that pattern also works with a 5th string root.

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 156
« Reply #113 on: January 06, 2019, 08:54:40 pm »
Willsie there are no dead threads the warning show uo on any thread not posted
on in a 120 days but the new post will activate the thread.
As for your stretching problem jono's suggestion is one possibility or keep at it.
Keep practicing as far up the neck as you can then work your way down as your
finger stretch increases.

Offline willsie01

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #114 on: January 06, 2019, 11:07:59 pm »
A wise man told me to use the D string 8th fret instead of stretching the pinky( barre with the 1st finger). It's also hard to do but is easier.

I’d already thought of finding the right note on the 4th (D) string but in the sequence I’m talking about it would mean pressing down on the 7th fret not 8th, and so shuffle becomes: first triplet is 8th fret on 6th string & 10th fret on 5th string; second triplet is 8th fret on 6th string & 7th fret on 4th string, muting 5th string in between. As I’ve said I’ve tried that but the muting of the 5th string is proving very difficult.
Or have I misunderstood you?

Regards

Offline willsie01

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #115 on: January 06, 2019, 11:18:54 pm »
Keep practicing as far up the neck as you can then work your way down as your
finger stretch increases.
Unfortunately I’m trying to practice already at the optimum position on the neck for me. This is governed by the peculiar curve and twist of my little finger. I can’t go higher up the neck because of the frets widening and I can’t get lower because of the orientation my hand has to assume to even reach the 5th string with my little finger the body of my acoustic gets in the way. I’ll keep trying all suggestions though.

Offline jono

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #116 on: January 06, 2019, 11:24:00 pm »
If you are doing the standard shuffle then it ( for example) 6th string fret 8 and 5th string frets 10 and 12 and stretch to 13.
Instead of stretching to  5th string fret 13 keep the finger on 5th string fret 12 and strum strings 5 and 4 with 4 barred at fret 8.
But now I am thinking you are struggling to reach fret 12 in my example.

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 402
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #117 on: January 06, 2019, 11:32:17 pm »
Not much help willsie ... but let it give you some additional respect for Parfitt and Rossi who played those 12 bar rhythms for hours on end night after night.
 :)

Offline willsie01

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #118 on: January 06, 2019, 11:38:15 pm »
But now I am thinking you are struggling to reach fret 12 in my example.
Yes!

Playing a shuffle on the C chord first finger at 8th fret 6th string the alternating notes on 10th and 12th frets of 5th string using fingers 2 & 5. The stretch for the little finger to make the 12th fret while maintaining the position of the others is my problem.

Offline willsie01

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #119 on: January 06, 2019, 11:42:57 pm »
Not much help willsie ... but let it give you some additional respect for Parfitt and Rossi who played those 12 bar rhythms for hours on end night after night.
 :)

Nah...probably just got long fingers.

I’m disadvantaged. Had the same problem working on my wife’s mini all those decades ago.  ;)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App