Author Topic: TE-101 • Finger Stretching Exercise  (Read 100813 times)

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
Re: TE-007 • Finger Stretching Exercise
« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2012, 01:16:13 am »
Do Justin's finger gym exercise.  There is link to it from the main page click Technique.  Do it daily.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

snailspace171

« Reply #76 on: April 26, 2012, 02:30:29 am »
if i have my fingers on frets 8,9,10 and 11....and try to move my index finger to fret 7... It will not go there... even if I physically move it with my other hand!!!!!!!!!!!!

do I have different hands to everyone else? or am I just doing it wrong?!

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #77 on: April 26, 2012, 06:01:42 am »
I had the same problem. It's just practice. Start with just index and middle finger and get that move down, the add the other fingers. You can also turn it around: keep the index finger in place and move the middle finger up and down.

You can make up your own exercises. Try to find things you can just about do and take it from there. It will probably take some time.

And btw: don't be too bummed about it. Having four fingers down on different frets of the same string and then moving the first towards the nut is really just an exercise, it's hardly a "required skill" ;)

snailspace171

« Reply #78 on: April 26, 2012, 03:23:57 pm »
thank you.

I keep persisting with the excercise.

I find that if I switch it around, and start on the high strings, it becomes easier, and then I move down, until I eventually can't reach. (about the D or A string)

One last thing... I find it pretty much impossible to arch my fingers over enough while doing this... especially my little finger, they end up lying flat and touching the strings underneath? is this normal? as I think I must have quite short stumpy fingers.

I am worried I may be doing this excercise wrong... but I'm assuming that as long as I can feel the "stretch" it must be improving my flexibility, if I keep doing this for a few minutes each day!

Offline Chantal

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 40
  • Live today as if there's no tomorrow.
« Reply #79 on: April 26, 2012, 06:03:48 pm »
At which fret are you starting?

If you don't have the reach to place your fingers on the thickest E string, starting at the first fret, then you need to start further up the neck. I was advised to do this exercise, but I had to start with my first finger at the seventh fret. One of the reasons for starting that high up the neck, is that I have short (and stubby) fingers (I'm 5'2" so that should indicate how small my hands are).

Now, of course I misunderstood the part where I was told to practice at the same frets until I was comfortable doing that stretch. I went from the seventh fret to the first fret in 30 minutes or so and that was a BAD idea. After doing that, I was unable to play any chord and I was in a lot of pain. It has taken me weeks to fully recover from that mistake. I can only be very grateful I exercised for 20-30 minutes (even though you shouldn;t do it for more than 5), and not for an hour or so. Imagine the damage I would have done, had I continued to overstretch for that long!

So, try the exercise with your first finger on the seventh fret (or fifth or sixth if you find the seventh too easy). Do that for 5 minutes and repeat once or twice a day until you can easily place your fingers right next to the frets. Dont worry about how it sounds. Then, move up a fret and repeat. You should have no trouble reaching across 4 frets if you do that for a couple of weeks. The seventh fret was a challenge for me first, but I can do the first fret now without pain. If I try really hard, I can even reach across 6 frets (just barely, though). You can get there, but you need to take it slow.

And a word of advice Justin gave me: if it hurts (a lot), see a doctor! I didn't, but I probably should have. If you feel a burning sensation, cramp or spasms, STOP practicing! I ignored the pain and risked a lot of damage. I can play without any pain now, but it's been pretty bad for several weeks. So whatever you do, don't push yourself too far.
Thank you for the music!

My Roadcase

iamcline

« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2013, 03:06:21 pm »
This exercise is kicking my butt, but in a good way. :)  It is extremely clear to me now that changing strings will need to be a key focus for me.

Offline Diamond Dave

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
  • Virginia, USA
« Reply #81 on: February 18, 2013, 01:44:41 am »
I found this video very helpful. After doing the stretches I was easily hitting some frets with my pinky that I wasn't able to reach just five minutes earlier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TSrfB7JIzxY

WARNING: Everything I post may be wrong. :)
Some guitars, a ukulele and an amp.

Offline maxi0361

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #82 on: June 03, 2013, 10:03:44 am »
Am I doing it right? is there something wrong with my fingers?

http://imgur.com/QNZFyfx
http://imgur.com/2l8SE0v
http://imgur.com/egeasts
http://imgur.com/hSWzbAY

I think I have a small hand, not short fingers, I mean hand span width.
I don't have much problem on 6th string, but great trouble on 1st & 2nd string.
my pinky curl towards ring finger so much, as you can see in those photos.

I am trying this stretch exercise hopes it helps.
or maybe I should move my palm closer to my pinky and let my index finger stretch even further??

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #83 on: June 03, 2013, 04:24:01 pm »
Am I doing it right?

It doesn't look good from the pictures...

Look at the direction that your fingers are pointing - they should point straight into / out of the fretboard for this exercise, I think (this would make life much easier for your pinky, and you would mean that you didn't have to turn it on its side).

maybe I should move my palm closer to my pinky and let my index finger stretch even further??

^That's probably what to do.

Also, it may help to get the pad of your thumb on the middle of the neck and arch your fingers a bit more.

0.02p

Offline maxi0361

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #84 on: June 03, 2013, 05:03:51 pm »
Am I doing it right?

It doesn't look good from the pictures...

Look at the direction that your fingers are pointing - they should point straight into / out of the fretboard for this exercise, I think (this would make life much easier for your pinky, and you would mean that you didn't have to turn it on its side).

maybe I should move my palm closer to my pinky and let my index finger stretch even further??

^That's probably what to do.

Also, it may help to get the pad of your thumb on the middle of the neck and arch your fingers a bit more.

0.02p

thanks for confirming that I am not doing it correct, I will try my best to align my pinky

Offline Chantal

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 40
« Reply #85 on: June 03, 2013, 06:30:32 pm »
Why would it be wrong, misterg? Everyone's hands are different. The fingers could be closer to the frets, but it doesn't look too bad to me.

Maxi, is your pinky quite long, by any chance?
Thank you for the music!

My Roadcase

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #86 on: June 03, 2013, 11:20:24 pm »
Why would it be wrong, misterg? 

Just *my* opinion.... It seems the first 3 fingers are all sloping up the fretboard, meaning that the pinky has to lay over on its side to reach the next fret. It's my understanding that for this exercise, one should try to keep the fingers as square to the fretboard as possible (not the normal playing position - more like a classical guitar position?). The OP's arm seems to be at quite an angle to the neck, too. (Likely (s)he has their elbow tucked in ??) Also whole of the thumb is resting on the neck, rather than just the pad, meaning that the fingers are flatter to the neck and not as 'arched' as they could be. I emphasise that this is just my opinion.

I attach my attempt to do better (hats off to the OP, it's bloomin' difficult to take photos with one hand while trying to do this with the other!). I make no claims to correctness, just to try and show my point.

I know you (Chantal) have had 1st hand advice about this from J, so you may well know better than me - if so, please put me right! :).

Offline TheCasual

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #87 on: June 04, 2013, 12:23:12 am »
I find this so hard and frustrating to do. I do it 8 minutes a day. Although I'm not sure my fingers are getting anymore stretchier, but my pinky is definitely getting stronger and more flexible.
Fender Modern Player Jaguar,
Fender Squier AffinityHSS Stratocaster
Vintage V100, Epiphone Dove Pro
Fender Mustang 1, Peavey Vypyr 30
Started the guitar journey 10th Janaury 2013.

Offline maxi0361

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #88 on: June 04, 2013, 03:20:41 am »
Why would it be wrong, misterg? Everyone's hands are different. The fingers could be closer to the frets, but it doesn't look too bad to me.

Maxi, is your pinky quite long, by any chance?

I won't say it is quite long, but not short, about 70% long to my ring finger. BUT it curl towards ring finger XC
Thank you both for enthusiasm helping my to fight this pinky battle.

I think, people could play with their feet, no problem, I understand that. there is nothing wrong if it sounds good. I am just exploring ideas and learn from other people experience. every bits help.

I tried misterg suggestion, and my pinky pressing the fretboard 90% is mush comfortable. BUT it limits my span very much, I couldn't do a fret apart from my ring finger.

I think, I will use both position depend on circumstance. and try to practice more to stretch my pinky.

Offline maxi0361

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #89 on: June 04, 2013, 03:24:36 am »
I find this so hard and frustrating to do. I do it 8 minutes a day. Although I'm not sure my fingers are getting anymore stretchier, but my pinky is definitely getting stronger and more flexible.

I did it 15 minutes a day, and do more if I am able to.
and I too don't know if I get stretchier, don't feel much. but I will keep practicing.

just do as Justin said, as slow as you could, I do it very slowing and don't feel that frustrating.

Came across Justin closeup. let's see how J did it.
http://i.imgur.com/eUtwPFj.png

He is so flexible! I mean his pinky.

I think the trick is to move our palm away from the neck. but could be difficult when play with shoulder strip.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 06:07:54 am by maxi0361 »

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #90 on: June 04, 2013, 05:38:08 pm »
I tried misterg suggestion, and my pinky pressing the fretboard 90% is mush comfortable. BUT it limits my span very much, I couldn't do a fret apart from my ring finger.

I *think* that is the point of the exercise - you won't be able to move to the next fret to start with, but if you keep practicing, the spread of your fingers will increase, and then you will be able to reach.

Good luck, anyway :)

Offline Chantal

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 40
« Reply #91 on: June 05, 2013, 07:08:12 am »
I wouldn't call myself an expert, misterg... It's more than a year ago that J introduced me to the exercise and we only brushed the subject when I was in London. So I could very well be wrong!

I only know this: the idea is to do 1 fret per finger, starting at the 7th fret** when you first do the exercise. Stay there until you can comfortably reach across 4 frets, so 1 finger in each fret. Then move 1 fret closer to the nut and repeat. The idea is to not move your thumb about too much, and you need to feel the stretch in your fingers, which is why you shouldn't do it for more than 5 minutes at a time, or you might hurt yourself. Only when you've reached the point where you can stretch across 4 frets starting from the 1st fret, are you supposed to try and reach across 5, starting again from the 7th fret**.

** Or whichever fret suits you best; you need to feel it, but it shouldn't hurt.
Thank you for the music!

My Roadcase

Offline maxi0361

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #92 on: June 05, 2013, 04:05:53 pm »
I wouldn't call myself an expert, misterg... It's more than a year ago that J introduced me to the exercise and we only brushed the subject when I was in London. So I could very well be wrong!

I only know this: the idea is to do 1 fret per finger, starting at the 7th fret** when you first do the exercise. Stay there until you can comfortably reach across 4 frets, so 1 finger in each fret. Then move 1 fret closer to the nut and repeat. The idea is to not move your thumb about too much, and you need to feel the stretch in your fingers, which is why you shouldn't do it for more than 5 minutes at a time, or you might hurt yourself. Only when you've reached the point where you can stretch across 4 frets starting from the 1st fret, are you supposed to try and reach across 5, starting again from the 7th fret**.

** Or whichever fret suits you best; you need to feel it, but it shouldn't hurt.

great details, thank you, I got it.

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #93 on: June 06, 2013, 08:17:13 am »
I got a new video for this lesson coming out soon.

Chantal, you can do it this way, or stay in the same position and do all the stretches - it depends on what each individual is up for! :)
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline Chantal

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 40
« Reply #94 on: June 06, 2013, 08:39:48 am »
Point taken, J :) I was just sharing what you taught me ;)
Thank you for the music!

My Roadcase

Offline txfloods

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #95 on: September 26, 2013, 09:07:40 am »
My question:

How does this Lesson, TE-007, Finger Stretching, relate to the "Finger Gym" Lesson?

In other words, if I'm doing the finger gym everyday, should I do the finger stretching exercise as well? It seems like the hand motions required to do the finger gym would also include the hand motions that the finger stretching exercise includes.

Thanks for the clarification.
Tim

Offline sophiehiker

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
« Reply #96 on: September 26, 2013, 01:36:12 pm »
The two exercises are very different.  The stretching exercise is intended to increase the distance your fingers can reach along the fret board.  The finger gym increases finger strength and independence.

When you go to the local gym to work out, you exercise and then you stretch.  Same idea.
...where the deer and the antelope play.  Well, they're not really playing.  They're fleeing in terror.

Offline av8torfl

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #97 on: April 09, 2014, 12:52:15 am »
Any advice for someone who's pinky finger consistently lies on its side turned toward the center of the hand?

Also finding my wrist gets extremely sore when doing this excercise.

Thanks

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #98 on: April 09, 2014, 12:59:37 am »
Spend some time splaying your hand out like a 5 year old who is very proud to be 5. 

Point the guitar neck towards the ceiling at about 45 degrees.  Then with your fingers still splayed, stretch the index and pinky across as many frets as you can.  Don't play.  You are just using the neck to feel the stretch.  By pointing the neck up, you reduce the strain on your wrist.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline av8torfl

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #99 on: April 09, 2014, 01:26:15 am »
Spend some time splaying your hand out like a 5 year old who is very proud to be 5. 

Point the guitar neck towards the ceiling at about 45 degrees.  Then with your fingers still splayed, stretch the index and pinky across as many frets as you can.  Don't play.  You are just using the neck to feel the stretch.  By pointing the neck up, you reduce the strain on your wrist.

Shadow

Thanks, Gonna try that tomorrow when my wrist stops hurting.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App