Author Topic: TE-101 • Finger Stretching Exercise  (Read 61020 times)

guitarpadawan

Re: TE-007 • Finger Stretching Exercise
« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2010, 10:00:35 am »
Hi all,

On this tutorial I have a big problem, and would need some help.

When I do this finger-stretching exercice, my wrist gets naturally to a 90 degrees angle, to help placing the fingers. It gets painful quite soon (after 2 minutes) for me, the pain being focused on the back part of my wrist.
(If I try to let my wrist at a 0 degrees angle, I just can't put my fingers where they should be).

Is this normal ? People here speak about the "finger stretching feeling in the fingers", I only feel pain in my wrist (pain stops when I relax and stop doing the exercice)

Am  I doing it wrong ? Any advise is very welcome folks :-)

Thank you,

C.

Daya

« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2010, 08:53:24 am »
Hi all,
I logged in to ask the exact same question.
My wrist hurts as hell, and I'm using all the tips offered ,as bending and placing the thumb in the middle and not on top.My friend told me I should keep my arm distant from the body, but truth is nothing helps.There are chords I can't get If I don't "twist" my arm,and the stretching exercises hurt my wrist and arm too,but I feel nothing in the fingers.
I'd really like to hear some tips on how to prevent that.Since I'm a stubborn person and won't stop because of pain , especially with my new electric guitar :o) , my wrist will soon be a goner.  :-\

Thanx  :D

Daya

Offline Blackheathen

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2011, 04:56:17 am »
I have found that Blackbird is a really good finger stretching tune.
Takamine, Santa Fe, DSF 45C

Sl8sh

« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2011, 01:47:10 am »
I wasn't sure where to post this question (things have been busy since I transferred to a four year school in a four year music program for french horn):

I managed to get my guitar for the quarter to help out in my singing tests (when I can't get a hold of a piano) and since I haven't been playing a lot (really hardly at all), I've noticed that my 2nd and 3rd fingers are weak and are not that flexible.  Any suggestions to stretch out those fingers to make them just as limber as my 1st and 4th fingers?

Sl8sh

And to those who are new, no I'm not the former GnR guitarist in case any one gets confused or sends questions to my inbox regarding my avatar...if it's still up.

Zandalor

« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2011, 10:59:58 am »
I a problem with finger stretching (and my hand in general).
When I am pressing the string my little finger gets twisted and I can't get it rounded, it is hard to press it, etc. Well, I can't explain that with words so I'll post some photos.
That photo is on 6th string

And it gets even worse on 1st string

Is there something I can do to hold that finger straight?

Offline Bootstrap

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
  • Never yield.
    • The Tale Of Bootstrap
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2011, 01:14:43 pm »
My only suggestion would be to try and build up the muscles either side doing a bit of resistance work - try spreading your pinky from your other fingers whilst holding pressure on it with your other hand for a count of 12, relax, repeat. Then let your pinky seperate from your other fingers and try to pull it back towards them but hold it our with your other hand for a count of 12, relax, repeat.
The best guitar is the one you have in your hands
Road Case last update 11 Mar 2012

Offline Gandalf

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 7
  • Suffolk/Cambridgeshire Border, UK
« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2011, 01:25:57 pm »
Have look at this thread http://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=25329.msg200548#msg200548 and my last post about finger stretching exercises, they will certainly help you.
George
Yamaha FG730S

Diesel McGunner

« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2011, 11:55:30 am »
I've noticed that this lesson concentrates on seperatin between the 1st and 2nd and 3rd and 4th excercise. My 2nd and 3rd fingers have practically to space between them, is there some way I can work on that? I assume from the excercise that they aren't supposed to go too far apart but at the 5th and lower frets they have so little space between hem I can'teven get them buth right behind the frets so 'm developing really bad tecnique.

Should I be trying to excercise stretching between 2nd and 3rd? I really think I need to but the lesson doesn't have a part on doing that.

Diesel McGunner

« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2011, 12:36:53 pm »
Ah sorry just realised I put this in the wrong place and this lesson does have a bit on that. I don't know whether I should be trying to practice that though, I can't even do the excercise it says in this lesson for 2 and 3...

Offline Gandalf

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 7
  • Suffolk/Cambridgeshire Border, UK
« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2011, 01:23:57 pm »
Something that may help stretching the space between fingers, is a video I saw on Jamplay by Erik Mongrain.

He recommends taking the guitar neck at the 7th fret and pushing that part between your fingers everyday, don't force it, until the neck of the guitar touches the web where your fingers join.

I have been doing this for the last couple of months and am now using the 9th fret.

I also go for a minute stretching between each set of fingers. Maybe just start with 15 seconds or so and build it up.
George
Yamaha FG730S

Padge

« Reply #70 on: August 12, 2011, 01:38:03 am »
In the beginning of the video you mention keeping your fingers square to the fret. My middle, ring, and pinky have no problem with this, but my index finger likes to roll off to it's side (if that makes sense). The left side of the index finger touches the string more than the right side. Kind of when you roll over your index finger to the side when barring chords.

Is this a bad habit? Thanks.

I have the same problem. When doing the stretches I just can't seem to get my index finger to hit dead on like my other fingers. I keep playing with the side and it's making me upset because I feel like it's wrong but I can't do anything about it.

PLEASE HELP!

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2012, 05:35:29 am »
Hi guys,
 I've been trying to do this exercise, but my hand just does not work that way. My third finger will not stay square, and bends towards my second finger until they are almost touching. I can touch with the tip fine, but the angle of my finger as it sits on the string is pointing almost directly at the dot on the 9th fret. I guess the best way to describe it is if you hold your second and third finger outstretched to make a V, and then bend them in, my two fingers are spread at the knuckle, but touch at the tips. That's the way they are on the frets.

Is this just a matter of an underdeveloped muscle? Will this straighten out? Is there something else I can do to straighten this out some so that my fingers are more parallel to one another?

snailspace171

« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2012, 05:58:30 pm »
I dont know.

this is a good lesson though, because it has made me realise how bad my fingers were at stretching.

I am only just starting out on guitar... but when I try to move my finger across from the 8th fret to the 7th, I just cannot get it to go across!

If I move up a bit, I can just about do it on the the B and E string. But it's not easy.

Does anyone know if there is anything I can do to stretch my fingers when away from the guitar? when I'm sitting at the desk at work, etc.....

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #73 on: April 24, 2012, 06:12:28 pm »
Find something that can double as a sort-of guitar neck (ruler, rolled up paper) and use that. Just don't do it while you're in parliament and a TV camera is aimed at you - unless you badly need the publicity (including the coolness factor) :)

Or you could buy yourself one of those "neck-only" excercise thingys. I find them quite hilarious. And with one of those you can even work on your calluses absent actual guitar.

ghostdancer

« Reply #74 on: April 24, 2012, 09:43:46 pm »
just a question ?
have a relatively weak grip on my left hand so cant exert much pressure with my little finger on the stings espec the low E
what exercises can you recommend ?

will a sponge ball work ?

Get The Forum As A Mobile App