Author Topic: TE-101 • Finger Stretching Exercise  (Read 72359 times)

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
Re: TE-007 • Finger Stretching Exercise
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2009, 12:39:16 am »
It's not that Slash it's the fact that I have to get that nerve reattachment in my pinky but it affects my thumb. The muscle mass in my fretting hand thumb  joint has atrophied as well because of nerve damage.  I will never get it back.   The pinky and thumb are connected in some way.  My doctor explained it to me and I can't for the life of me even remotely remember all the medical stuff he told me but the bottom line is I need surgery to make things better.  I was supposed to get it done on the 10th of Sept but I put it off cuz I have a huge jewelry show that I told you about in my pm coming up and I have been going crazy making stuff for it.  So I guess it will be in October or November.

Lnk
Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

Sl8sh

« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2009, 07:03:49 pm »
Didn't mean to pick on you if that's what I did but I had no idea you had some nerve damage.  I can only imagine how much that does affect things.  At least it hasn't stopped you from trying to play guitar. 

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2009, 04:58:20 am »
No hun you can never do wrong!  Your an angel!!

Lnk
Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

Sl8sh

« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2009, 08:20:54 pm »
Just checking to make sure. 

rohanz

« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2009, 08:27:11 pm »
Hello everyone
i m rohan from India

I m a very very frequent visitor to this website , roughly 2 years or so (its the best in the world :) )
but m using the forums for the first time.

looking through the forum topics , i found this one to be appropriate for a question that i have.

since we were talking about stretching fingers.....
I found out that the stretching ability of my fingers reduce massively when i stand and play.
what i mean is that when i play the guitar sitting down, i have no problems in stretching my fingers accross 4 semi tones,and still get a clean sound, no problem.I can even play the Major scale as told by Justin in the major scale vids.
but while i wear the guitar with the strap and play standing up, it becomes very difficult.. The reach of my little finger with respect to my index finger reduces,also the strength reduces a lot.
Which i think is a very big problem.

So ,,, is this a problem unique to me, or do all face initially, or always(defenitely not always :) )

thankyou for reading..
rohan

Sl8sh

« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2009, 09:59:08 pm »
I have some difficulty stretching my fingers when I'm standing.  In one of Justin's vids he says if you play with a strap to have the height of the guitar as if you are sitting so that way it's easier to play.

Another reason you might be having problems is you might not be curving your hand enough in order to stretch your fingers. 

These are just some guesses to help you identify what your problem might be so you can figure out how you might fix your problem. 

But I do have problems stretching when stading, especially when my fingers are spread wide apart (like one fret between each finger is still difficult, but I've been doing the excercise for a while so I'm getting there).

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2009, 02:23:50 am »
Really curious as to my stretching abilities when standing up to.  So I just tried this and YES I can't quite do what I can when sitting and playing. 

I don't think I'm too worried about this though.  I noticed that my thumb on the back of the neck was not the way it was supposed to be.  I adjusted more to the bottom of the neck and a little more in the middle of what I was playing and that still didn't help much. 

What Slash said to in regards to this makes total sense as well.

Licksnkicks

Sl8sh

« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2009, 04:13:08 am »
I'm hoping it makes sense.  I don't normally pay attention to how I play until someone on the forum has a problem and then I go back and look and feel how I'm playing to see if I have the same problem.  If I don't have a problem I just guess as to what the problem might be.   

rohanz

« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2009, 06:38:18 am »
Thanks..

I did consider the height at which the guitar was, and all most instantly realized the difference.. M glad to know that this problem is not unique to me. That was worrying me..like everything else , i think practice if the ultimate answer.
just wonder how some metal guitar players manage to play those speed solos with the guitar hung all the way to their knees  :o ;D

Sl8sh

« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2009, 05:35:07 pm »
I have no idea either how those metal guys play as low as their knees.  I don't even play that low.  I used to until my hand hurt and I had difficulties reaching the lower strings, then I raised my guitar and it fits better. 

pablolespaul

« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2010, 09:37:46 am »
Quark is right...

Stretching from 1st to 2nd is useful...

But working on stretching between 2nd and 3rd is not very useful unless you want to work on 4 note per string metal techniques (which I never did, but they exist).

You hand is not built to stretch between 2 and 3 - so I don't think it wise to fight it - especially as you will hardly ever use it!

That is why the exercise ignores that stretch...

J

I think is worth working on stretching between 2nd and 3rd as well, not only metal but in some jazz chords you need to stretch a bit between 2nd and 3rd.
It´s useful for me so I included that stretch in my practice routine.

Dii

« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2010, 09:35:15 pm »
Greetings folks.
I've been doing this streching exercise about a week and i feel pain in the muscle between the thumb and the poiting finger. Its supposed to happen? cause maybe i'm not having the best hand position. I'm trying to put the fingers square on like Justin recommends but when when i strech any of the fingers i have to bend my hand a little bit has i have very small hands ( yes its true :P )
Just want to know what you think about it, i can easly handle the pain, just wondering if its part of the workout..  ;D

Berry

« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2010, 11:17:01 pm »
I get exactly the same pain in the same part of my hand as you, I assume its normal, i've never really questioned it and just assumed thats what the exercise is aims for  :)

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2010, 03:28:34 am »
Okay then another oldie but a really good stretching song is The Jack by AC/DC.  The stretch is a killer.  If you can do this you can practically do any song that requires you to stretch.  Now Message in a Bottle by the Police is easy.  I couldn't do it before!  Peice of cake now.

Lnk

Sl8sh

« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2010, 04:43:22 pm »
If you are having pain in your hand you are making your muscles tense as you play.  This is not good.  Try to relax your hand and not have tension.  I don't know how to describe this in words.  I'm having the same problem with piano at the momment (yes I'm officially taking it back up in order to pass a stupid proficiency test that has nothing to do with French Horn) and my teacher always says to relax the muscles.  It's difficult when you haven't had piano in 9 years. 

The only other time my hand has hurt (I've never had it hurt in a bad painful way, but in a good stretching of the muscles way) is when I grip the guitar neck when I'm attempting to play fast.  That's when I learned that I have to use smaller movements to play fast and to keep my fingers closer to the fretboard. 

Anyway, hope this helps, this is just an opinion and a guess. 

Get The Forum As A Mobile App