Author Topic: TE-101 • Finger Stretching Exercise  (Read 100810 times)

Sl8sh

Re: TE-007 • Finger Stretching Exercise
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2009, 09:01:38 pm »
Maybe he's just busy and unless you have a solution to my questions I wouldn't be criticizing when Justin replies. 

threepints

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2009, 11:01:10 pm »
Maybe he's just busy and unless you have a solution to my questions I wouldn't be criticizing when Justin replies. 

I was not critising anyone. I am most grateful for everything Justin does on this site. I also think his products are great for learning. So please do not take umbridge at my reply to your question.

Sl8sh

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2009, 03:41:52 am »
Not trying to. 

grutz

Re: TE-007 • Finger Stretching Exercise - Left Hand
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2009, 11:53:04 pm »
I may not be looking in the right place but I am not clear on the 'rules' for using the fingers of the left hand in a box.  Thd Scales exercise starts at root G with 2nd finger, when my assumption would be to start with #1.  So I suspect I am missing a chance to get better.

drubio2

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2009, 10:24:24 pm »
I can do the finger stretching exercise when I'm sitting down but much to my frustration I can't do it while standing up in my guitar position. Does anyone have any tips for that as to how I can do it. My guitar position while I'm standing up isn't too low. The headstock begins about a little below my shoulder. I really don't want to compromise my standing position unless I have too. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

Sl8sh

« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2009, 10:57:13 pm »
I've got the same problem.  I can stretch my fingers sitting down but have problems when I do it standing.  Did he say in his video that it was okay if the notes don't come out as long as you're stretching you're hand?  It's more about building flexibility than articulating the notes.  I'll go back and watch it. 

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2009, 01:16:14 am »
When I'm doing this finger stretching exercise on the lower frets my left shoulder is coming forward as I try to do the 7 9 10 12 combo but further down on the neck for a greater stretch.  As I try I notice my shoulder coming forward and as I practice I start to get a very uncomfortable feeling in it.  It just seems to happen naturally when I'm doing this. Maybe I'm tensing up without being aware of this occuring.?  Who knows? Anyone else experience this?  How the heck can I keep my shoulder from coming foward as I play?

Licksnkicks
Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

Sl8sh

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2009, 06:08:49 pm »
That's interesting.  I'll take a notice at how I play and let you know.  So far I haven't noticed how my shoulder moves.  I try to keep all my movement in my hands. 

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2009, 03:32:01 am »
Thanks Sl8sh!  Your a real sweetheart!

BTW One more question!  How many times in a row should I complete this exercise?  Is once enough or should I go for the burn and do it a couple of times.  I sure do feel the stretch after I do it once but is more better?

Licksnkicks
Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

Sl8sh

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2009, 01:12:43 am »
Thanks licksnkicks. 

I played today and my shoulder doesn't move unless I get a little carried away and play as if I'm playing to near a million people in a large stadium. 

As far as the stretching excercise, I do it several times as Justin suggests by moving the excercise slowly down the neck fret by fret.  It's helped in my dexterity.  I don't know how much but it does work. 

I guess it's really up to you and the kind of stuff you want to play.  I tend to go for the burn.  That's just me though. 

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2009, 03:09:32 am »
K, I figured it out!  When I do the stretching exercise and am working my way toward the low E string that's when the shoulder gets a life of it's own.  I'm leaning forward with my left shoulder I guess to compensate for the fingers trying to reach the lower strings in this exercise.  I have to make an effort not to let this happen!

Licksnkicks

Sl8sh

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2009, 03:18:44 am »
Cool.  Nice going that you caught your own mistake.   8)

Offline Nightmoore

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2009, 08:31:49 am »
I was playing around with the stretching exercise on here and suddenly remembered what "fixed" my stretch issues when I started to get serious with the instrument.

By no means should you skip this exercise, but learning to play "Message In a Bottle" fixed my hands VERY quickly.  Someone else suggested it to me years ago and I decided to give it a whirl.

Here is Andy Summers HIMSELF teaching you how to play it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNVcTlfBzIk&feature=related

When I started this, it H-U-R-T.  It took me a while to memorize the shapes (there's only two), then I had to work on the picking and speed, but I could only do it for maybe 10 mins at a time before my hand was killing me.  It doesn't help that I have small hands for a dude.  But I kept pushing (in moderation) and learning this song gave me such a bigger range on the neck.  When I started Justin's Legato-speed lessons on this site, nailing the 5 fret stretch at the bottom of the neck was easy!

Hope that helps some of you!  Plus you learn an awesome tune in the process!

Sl8sh

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2009, 03:57:25 am »
Nice.  I'll try it. 

jph

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2009, 02:19:50 pm »
Hi Guys and Gals,

If you're "done" with these very useful stretching exercices and feel like playing bits of tunes that are good stretching exercices, I would suggest, among many others:

- Intro of "Message in a bottle" (goal is to start on C#, 4th fret but you can play it a little bit higher on the neck if it's too difficult at first).

- "Every breath you take" (Police again, would you believe it?). Again, final goal is starting on C, 3rd fret.

I've done that on my electro-classical first and now it's a peace of cake on the electric...plus a lot of chords seem much easier to me now.

Have fun and don't kill your fingers, just give them a little exercice!

Hope this helps,

JPH

Sl8sh

« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2009, 03:10:06 am »
Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll try those songs too and see where I get. 

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2009, 01:54:59 am »
I just tried this and this is a killer workout for the fretting hand.  This is stretching beyond my normal limits which is good.  I'm just taking it slow though.  I have done it 4 or 5 times through and that's enuff for now. 

Thanks for sharing this!  This definitely takes me out of my comfort zone!  It's a good thing though!

Lnk

jph

« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2009, 02:13:41 pm »
Hiya,

Glad this is useful! Btw you bl. well right to do it slowly, as this is intended to be a stretching exercise. Also, don't forget to relax your fretting hand after a few minutes, by closing/opening it a couple of times and shaking it.

Rock on!

JPH

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2009, 02:40:37 pm »

Rock on!

JPH

I will for sure ROCK ON!!  Thanks for sharing this.  It is a great way to stretch the hand to it's limits. I notice though that my fretting hand thumb this morning is actually quite sore.  I don't know what it is.  I will give it a rest.

Lnk

Sl8sh

« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2009, 11:13:51 pm »
LnK:

If your fretting hand thumb is sore then your gripping the fretboard as a form of stress that you might not be playing fast enough or not hitting notes.  Try and relax your hand a bit.  I guess what I'm trying to say is you might be gripping the fretboard a little too hard.  And I am going out on a limb on this one 'cause my thumb hasn't gotten sore yet. 

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2009, 12:39:16 am »
It's not that Slash it's the fact that I have to get that nerve reattachment in my pinky but it affects my thumb. The muscle mass in my fretting hand thumb  joint has atrophied as well because of nerve damage.  I will never get it back.   The pinky and thumb are connected in some way.  My doctor explained it to me and I can't for the life of me even remotely remember all the medical stuff he told me but the bottom line is I need surgery to make things better.  I was supposed to get it done on the 10th of Sept but I put it off cuz I have a huge jewelry show that I told you about in my pm coming up and I have been going crazy making stuff for it.  So I guess it will be in October or November.

Lnk

Sl8sh

« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2009, 07:03:49 pm »
Didn't mean to pick on you if that's what I did but I had no idea you had some nerve damage.  I can only imagine how much that does affect things.  At least it hasn't stopped you from trying to play guitar. 

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2009, 04:58:20 am »
No hun you can never do wrong!  Your an angel!!

Lnk

Sl8sh

« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2009, 08:20:54 pm »
Just checking to make sure. 

rohanz

« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2009, 08:27:11 pm »
Hello everyone
i m rohan from India

I m a very very frequent visitor to this website , roughly 2 years or so (its the best in the world :) )
but m using the forums for the first time.

looking through the forum topics , i found this one to be appropriate for a question that i have.

since we were talking about stretching fingers.....
I found out that the stretching ability of my fingers reduce massively when i stand and play.
what i mean is that when i play the guitar sitting down, i have no problems in stretching my fingers accross 4 semi tones,and still get a clean sound, no problem.I can even play the Major scale as told by Justin in the major scale vids.
but while i wear the guitar with the strap and play standing up, it becomes very difficult.. The reach of my little finger with respect to my index finger reduces,also the strength reduces a lot.
Which i think is a very big problem.

So ,,, is this a problem unique to me, or do all face initially, or always(defenitely not always :) )

thankyou for reading..
rohan

Get The Forum As A Mobile App