Author Topic: TE-106 • String Bending  (Read 136525 times)

darrencorrea

Re: TE-005 • String Bending
« Reply #75 on: April 01, 2009, 11:17:45 am »
Hey ......... the string bending is goin fine wit me on the first 2 strings ........ even the full tone bends comin good right now .......... however on the G string i cant get more than a half tone bend ............ i read sumwhere that an "unwound" G string wd be way easier to bend ......... so i went to all the guitar shops near my house but cdn't get one ...... so ma question is can i use a G string of an electric guitar ????? will it screw up ma accoustic guitar????? ....n how badly will da rhythm sound( when strummin) be affected ??? .... thnx a lot

jakegallo

« Reply #76 on: April 01, 2009, 10:32:39 pm »
when im bending the bottom two strings the a+d strings are getting rubbed against making unwanted noise. is it my picking hands job to mute those or is there a way i can achieve the bend without muting with my picking hand?

jakegallo

« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2009, 10:35:57 pm »
when im bending the bottom two strings the a+d strings are getting rubbed against making unwanted noise. is it my picking hands job to mute those or is there a way i can achieve the bend without muting with my picking hand?

Offline gareth51

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #78 on: April 02, 2009, 08:24:02 am »
You should mute the other strings with your picking hand.  Just lightly rest the side of your hand on the bottom 3 strings.  That is enough to get rid of the sound.  It takes a bit of practice to get it in the right position.
Agile AL-3100, Aria STG-003, Tanglewood TFA XB, Blackstar HT-5R, Boss Katana Mini

Locrian

« Reply #79 on: April 02, 2009, 08:00:33 pm »
Well darren all i can say is try to put some electric guitar strings on it. the sound quality depends on how the guitar was built. my friend runs .08 elect strings on his 12 string acoustic and it sounds great and when i tried it on my 6 it sounded like crap. just get u some light gauge strings like .09 or .08 and try it if it sounds good use them if not u will just have to keep practicing with the heavy gauge strings good luck  and ttyl :)

darrencorrea

« Reply #80 on: April 04, 2009, 08:39:09 am »
thnx a lot locrian ............... well i did end up puttin an electric third string on ma acoustic ......... 0.16 ......... its actually soundin pretty decent n da bendin is way way easier

Philly2009

Re: TE-005 • String Bending with floating bridge
« Reply #81 on: April 04, 2009, 05:40:35 pm »
Hello everyone

I'm just starting to learn string bending and I've got a Fender Strat with a floating bridge tremolo. I find it quite tricky to get the bends accurate and obviously for unison bends, the other strings go a bit flat when I bend a note on one string.

Do you think that for starting out with bending I'd be better with a fixed bridge, or should I be able to get it sounding accurate and good with a floating bridge? Any advice gratefully received!

Thanks

Philly

jimiclaptoncarl

« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2009, 04:23:16 pm »
Go to a fixed bridge, once you can bend in tune on that move on to floating.  :)

jimiclaptoncarl

Philly2009

« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2009, 09:33:20 pm »
Thanks for the advice, I'll do that!

Cheers

Philly

raul693

« Reply #84 on: April 06, 2009, 12:00:17 am »
Like many other people here I've had the typical problems with bending (staying in tune, touching other strings, lack of finger strengh), lucky for me I'm Beginning to overcome these issues, however when bending a minor third i have broken two e strings, I just wonder what's causing this, is it the plastic nut on my guitar?, poor technique?, small gauge strings(i use 9's ? or what?

sportyguitarman

« Reply #85 on: April 06, 2009, 12:09:25 am »
however when bending a minor third i have broken two e strings, I just wonder what's causing this, is it the plastic nut on my guitar?, poor technique?, small gauge strings(i use 9's ? or what?
Check your nut, there might be something in your nut where the strings sit or it just might be the  plastic nut. I use 9's and the strings don't break so it's not that. So check your nut out.

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #86 on: April 09, 2009, 03:54:35 am »
OMG, I got it!  I can bend so comfortably now.  My nails don't get caught in or under  the strings anymore and it sounds actually quite good!  I can even do a bend and a flick off combined.  Practicing really payed off!  I finally got the "a ha" moment!

Licksnkicks
Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

jak

« Reply #87 on: April 27, 2009, 02:02:59 pm »
Hi justin
i have a question
i can do bending but i have a little problem here
after i bend the string up i want to bring it down but when that happens , my fingers always touch the upper string and it make more voice
can you tell me how to mute the upper string so i can bend and bring it down clearly?
i need your advice
thanks

Jeffrey
Indonesia

Offline Rodrigo

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 3
  • Stuff
« Reply #88 on: April 27, 2009, 08:57:43 pm »
Hi justin
i have a question
i can do bending but i have a little problem here
after i bend the string up i want to bring it down but when that happens , my fingers always touch the upper string and it make more voice
can you tell me how to mute the upper string so i can bend and bring it down clearly?
i need your advice
thanks

Jeffrey
Indonesia

thats normal... you dont need to mute the upper string... with training you will be able to bend without touching other strings

brandoh

« Reply #89 on: April 29, 2009, 02:59:44 pm »
Hey,

Any tips on 2-tone bends - the solo in Another Brick in the Wall (Pt 2?) is giving me grief.

Also, what about bending multiple strings sorta country style. Sometimes I can do it using a finger for each string but I think it's supposed to be done a la barre.

Cheers,
Brandoh

TerryBullock

« Reply #90 on: May 17, 2009, 06:58:00 pm »
Well, I decided to start learning 'Shine On You Crazy Diamond'.  Couldn't find any decent tabs on the web so decided to transcribe it myself (Justin's nagging paid off!).  Listening to the song, coupled with four different videos of Dave playing it live, I realised it was full of bends.  Googled "string bending"; realised Justin had done a video on it.  Awesome!!  I got it straight away; just need to keep practising to keep them in tune now...

My question is this:  What's the preferred way of describing a bend on your Tab sheet?  Some times, the note is played, then bent up, then plucked again.  Also ghost bends?  Also, sometimes, Dave Gilmore seems to play a note using a bent string without you hearing the bend (up or down)... maybe just because he can?

Thanks for any advice...

whiteboy1150

« Reply #91 on: June 07, 2009, 02:42:49 am »
I'm somewhat new to bending (been practicing it about a week) and I'm trying to learn the intro solo to "All Along The Watchtower" by Jimi Hendrix. It starts off with a slide then 4 consecutive whole step bends on the 14th fret of the 2nd string.

I heard Justin say in the video to stop the bent note with the edge of your hand before releasing it but if you know the solo I'm talking about it seems like it would sound choppy. I try to just release the pressure but it doesn't sound too good, but it could just be a matter of not practicing it.

My question is if you have to do one bend right after another on the same fret of the same string, how do you silence it before bending it again?

MousPotato

« Reply #92 on: June 08, 2009, 03:20:36 am »
Would it be considered over the top and too picky to use
a tuner to do my bends. I have built in tuner with my new amp and use it to practice my bends.

Offline gareth51

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #93 on: June 08, 2009, 11:17:15 am »
a tuner to do my bends. I have built in tuner with my new amp and use it to practice my bends.
Don't use a tuner, use your ears.  You won't be able to use a tuner when you are trying to play a solo.
Agile AL-3100, Aria STG-003, Tanglewood TFA XB, Blackstar HT-5R, Boss Katana Mini

Strat0Blues

« Reply #94 on: June 08, 2009, 05:15:48 pm »

Not necessary, after some hearing the note that you are bending to you will soon be hitting that note all the time providing your guitar is in tune.

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 629
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #95 on: June 27, 2009, 07:57:41 am »
I've discovered that I have a real difficulty with hand position when bending high up the neck.

I've just posted a video of All Right Now that needs quick hammer-ons then string bends (with mega vibrato) at frets 17-20. I found this really difficult.

I have a weird thumb. The joint of it will bend backwards nearly 90 degrees (great for making a bridge when playing snooker or pool!) but bends forward only about 20 degrees.

So, when I have to grip the neck and achieve those bends I find it a real struggle and can't find a good position - and this is on a double cutaway guitar!

Any advice?

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 629
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #96 on: June 27, 2009, 08:12:15 am »
My weird thumb

Maximum bending back...

Maximum bending forward...

The-Ulsterman

« Reply #97 on: June 27, 2009, 11:28:36 am »
How do I know if how far to bend it the string? I bought a few tab books just to keep for when I'm better but looking trough them there are full bends half bends quarter bends and I never really know who far to do it

Strat0Blues

« Reply #98 on: June 27, 2009, 12:02:13 pm »
How do I know if how far to bend it the string? I bought a few tab books just to keep for when I'm better but looking trough them there are full bends half bends quarter bends and I never really know who far to do it

Quarter Bends: These are just for effect and are sometimes referred to as a curl, rather than bending to a note you are just manipulating the one you are playing.

Half Bends: Also know as semitone bends, the note you are bending to in this situation is just one fret up from the note that you begin with.

Full Bends: Also know as tone bends, the note you are bending to is two frets away from the note that you begin with.

One of the real effective ways to learn sting bending is to play the note you are bending too first, then bend the note you are using to match the one you are bending to, then finally check if you have done this correctly by playing the note you are bending too. *Hint* When you play the note you are bending to let that note ring out and never just listen for the initial sound when you play that note, you really want to listen to the note before it fades away. *Important* Never try and learn your bends by trying to work out how far you are actually moving the string but rather use your ears. After some time you will become familiar with the sounds of the notes in the scale you are using and before long you will be able to hear when you are bending strings correctly.

It is also ideal to have you guitar setup well and make sure it is always in tune when you practice bending otherwise your ears will get accustomed to notes that are out of tune and no matter how hard you try you will never be able make your bends sound good.

*Most Important* Practice, practice,practice, even for ten minutes a day two or three times a week because before long you will be seeing results and good luck :)

strumsong09

« Reply #99 on: June 29, 2009, 01:30:41 am »
I'm currently practicing whole tone bends and finding that it is more difficult to perform the bend on certain strings than on others.  For example, I can achieve the whole tone bend on the G and B strings but not on the high E string.  Is this something that I'll be able to do with enough practice?  Or might there be something wrong with my guitar's set up?   

Get The Forum As A Mobile App