Author Topic: TE-106 • String Bending  (Read 136249 times)

Offline dezag.c

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
Re: TE-106 • String Bending
« Reply #300 on: November 06, 2014, 08:44:47 pm »
Hi

can anyone help

I have just started to  practice bends from this lesson but my fingers keep catching on the  4th and 5th string when im bending the 3td string

Does anyone know how to cure this

Offline dezag.c

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #301 on: November 06, 2014, 08:46:33 pm »
sorry the other question I have is when you bend do you bend up slowly or quickly

Offline mike42

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #302 on: November 06, 2014, 09:04:23 pm »
Hi Degaz.c,

To your first question, the best advice I can give is to practice muting all the strings above the bent note with your picking hand. If you have a fairly low action the string above the bent one will want to slide underneath your finger, so keeping it muted with your right hand is important.

You can also try to 'dig in' slightly at the start of the bend to get the string to catch against the tip of your finger instead of sliding under, but make sure you aren't pressing hard into the fretboard or it'll make the bend difficult.

And to the second question, it really just depends on the song and what you're trying to accomplish. If you're learning a solo, try to match the length of the bend in the original. If you're improvising, it's mainly a feel thing and learning when each option sounds good. It is definitely worth practicing both ways, though.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App