Author Topic: TE-106 • String Bending  (Read 136527 times)

Offline DeadlyChicken

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 22
Re: TE-005 • String Bending
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2008, 11:08:07 pm »
basically he does not teach using the pinky to bend as its harder to get control with it, especially with vibrato on teh end of  your bends.  but if you can get it to sound right then why not imo ;) its all about how it sounds.
Gear:~
Electric
Epiphone Les Paul Std, Fender MIM Strat, Gherson SG copy
Amps
Roland Cube 30X, V Amp pro, Marshall DSL401
Acoustic
Ashton SL29CEQ, Fender Malibu SCE
FX
TU-2, crybaby JH-1b, DS-2, EH Stereo Memory Man w Hazarai

Dash Rendar

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2008, 07:44:13 am »
Nice one, thanks.

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2008, 04:39:50 pm »
basically he does not teach using the pinky to bend as its harder to get control with it, especially with vibrato on teh end of  your bends.  but if you can get it to sound right then why not imo ;) its all about how it sounds.

Very true DC - just hardly any people can make it sound good!!! :)

J
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Dash Rendar

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2008, 06:14:34 pm »
Ahhh, so that's why everything that comes out of my guitar sounds poo.  If only I could continue to blame it on my tools...

lespaulstudio88

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2008, 06:36:26 am »
I'm trying to sort out Wish you were here.  My first song with bends in it.

My problem seem to be in the "un-bending" portion, the meaty part of my fingers or nails kinda grab and perform unintentional pull-offs on the strings above the one I am bending during the release.

I know that practice will cure this eventually, so I'm not looking for an answer really, just wanna see if others have experienced this and its not just me...need to know I'm not alone with this problem.

I have exactly the same problem! When doing an up-bend my fingernail or finger seems to grab the string above.... And my nails arent long, im chewer  :P

How can you stop this from happening? It really makes the solo in Californication sound like poop on a stick....

Offline DeadlyChicken

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 22
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2008, 09:21:03 am »
put your index finger on the string above to mute it, or even bend it out of the way in some cases.
Electric
Amps
Acoustic
FX

lespaulstudio88

« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2008, 10:58:27 pm »
put your index finger on the string above to mute it, or even bend it out of the way in some cases.

True... Will have to give that a try tonight :D Cheers Chicken!

Offline asylum

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2008, 04:05:52 pm »
or use your 3rd finger for the bend but add your second finger right behind it, but make sure that youre second finger sits a little higher than your 3 rd finger in fact if you can get it to touch the string above the one you are bending, in this way you will:

1. be muting the string above the bend string
2. and youre second finger will also move the string above out of the way so there is no chance for your 3rd fingers nails to catch the string.
Fender strat 2008, Ibanez RG 550, Mesa Boogie 22+

lespaulstudio88

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2008, 11:05:21 pm »
or use your 3rd finger for the bend but add your second finger right behind it, but make sure that youre second finger sits a little higher than your 3 rd finger in fact if you can get it to touch the string above the one you are bending, in this way you will:

1. be muting the string above the bend string
2. and youre second finger will also move the string above out of the way so there is no chance for your 3rd fingers nails to catch the string.

This technique worked awesome... haha awesome stuff

Cheers! ;D

JoshLovesMusic

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2008, 10:48:18 am »
I am fine with most bends I have to do, though can't really do 2 tone bends yet.

But I can't seem do do any reasonably large bends on the 2nd string from the 10th fret onwards. I can't see why though.

I start bending it and before I even get to 1 tone bend the note just goes and mutes itself. So basically I can only seem to bend like 1/2 tone on the 2nd string 10th fret and onwards.

Is it something I'm doing wrong or is it possibly the guitar or what? annoying because I can't do some solo's like part of the sweet child o mine.

craig cochrane

« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2008, 10:17:35 pm »
can any 1 tell me why my acoustic guitar always goes out of tune when i bend the strings especialy the B string

Matheus

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2008, 02:08:47 pm »
Hey, sometimes when i bend the string over gives a sound because i touch it, i do properly bendings, like you said and not only with one finger and so on.. I've watched them all. I often make normal bends, but im facing the string above the bending. Special when i bend it up 2 notes.

12b14. (just a example)..

Am i doing wrong? Or is there something to stop it?

tintin

« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2008, 07:52:16 pm »
Some people advocate using the 4th finger (with support from the 3rd) for bends.  I've been experimenting with this method a bit, but I'm not sure it's really very productive. 

Offline DeadlyChicken

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 22
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2008, 11:14:52 pm »
I am fine with most bends I have to do, though can't really do 2 tone bends yet.

But I can't seem do do any reasonably large bends on the 2nd string from the 10th fret onwards. I can't see why though.

I start bending it and before I even get to 1 tone bend the note just goes and mutes itself. So basically I can only seem to bend like 1/2 tone on the 2nd string 10th fret and onwards.

Is it something I'm doing wrong or is it possibly the guitar or what? annoying because I can't do some solo's like part of the sweet child o mine.

I would say that its not somethign you are doing wrong, its probably a setup issue.  one of your frets may be a little bit higher or lower than the others, or that string may need to have its action raised, a touch.  my wifes strat does this on teh high E at fret 17 or so. bit of a pain but does nto get used that often so its not a major issue for her right now.

maybe take it to a guitar shop and show them the issue and get a setup done.

Matheus  its been mentioned earlier in this thread, you can mute the string by having the tip of your index finger touching the string above the one you are bending, or you can actually put your index finger on that string and bend it out of the way wjhile you bend the other string with your second and third fingers.
Electric
Amps
Acoustic
FX

Matheus

« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2008, 02:29:02 pm »
Matheus  its been mentioned earlier in this thread, you can mute the string by having the tip of your index finger touching the string above the one you are bending, or you can actually put your index finger on that string and bend it out of the way wjhile you bend the other string with your second and third fingers.

Okey, thanks for the advice. I'll try that. :)

ghaessedai

« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2008, 09:25:42 pm »
I was wandering if Justin or anyone else for that matter could explain to me the proper technique for bending two strings at once. Many songs I want to play require playing for example the 12th fret on the high E string (highest string in pitch, not highest from the ground) and the 15th on the B string and you're supposed to bend both notes at once up a full step. The traditional method of technique in regards to bending on one string seems almost impossible when applied to multiple string bends. Could Justin or anyone else please explain this to me or direct me to a Justin video/ article or anywhere else that may be able to explain it?

Thanks for the help in advance. ;D

Matheus

« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2008, 05:30:17 pm »
I was wandering if Justin or anyone else for that matter could explain to me the proper technique for bending two strings at once. Many songs I want to play require playing for example the 12th fret on the high E string (highest string in pitch, not highest from the ground) and the 15th on the B string and you're supposed to bend both notes at once up a full step. The traditional method of technique in regards to bending on one string seems almost impossible when applied to multiple string bends. Could Justin or anyone else please explain this to me or direct me to a Justin video/ article or anywhere else that may be able to explain it?

Thanks for the help in advance. ;D

Yeah, i agre! I saw, think its on guns n roses song or something were they said bend two notes at the same time. Well i tried :P I need a video how to do it properly, so i don't learn it in wrong way.
Nice that you mention it.

Rezn8r

« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2008, 08:02:04 pm »
Hmm... I think you'll generally find that if there's a bend on the 2nd string 15th fret combined with the 12th fret on the first string, it's a unison bend.  This means that you play both notes, and bend the 2nd string note up to the pitch of the 1st string note, while keeping that 1st string note steady.  This is really common -- in fact I can hardly think of a Led Zep, Hendrix or Clapton solo that doesn't include one, or something similar on the 2nd and 3rd strings (e.g. 3rd string 14th fret bent up to the 2nd string 12th fret to be played in unison).

Double stop bends are less common, but there are plenty of songs which do something like the 14th fret on both the 2nd and 3rd strings bent up together.  The only real method for me there is to use the ring finger on the 3rd string, little finger on the second string, and bend away... you might need to practise that one a bit though, especially in faster passages.

I've played a bunch of stuff, but can't remember coming across a combined bend of 1st string 12th and 2nd string 15th at the same time... could you point out an example, if that's really what's going on?  I've only got my acoustic here at the moment, and I can get a semi-tone bend on both at the same time, so I guess a full tone would be possible on an electric, but I'd like to hear a song with it.

ghaessedai

« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2008, 06:28:01 am »
I think you are probably right when you talk about the unison bends. I'll check again and if that's not it I'll give you that example. Thanks for the help.

jimiclaptoncarl

« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2008, 06:51:04 pm »
Here are 2 videos that should help you with unison bends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1VZ5XfzcUo

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5tka3_unison-and-octave-bends-part-1_music

Hope this helps.  :)

Jimiclaptoncarl

Spitfire

« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2008, 06:28:21 pm »
Dear Justin,

Congratulations with your website including good tips and tricks. At the moment I struggle with string bending and ...... unwanted notes (Bon Jovi - Bed of Roses => up and down bend => first string). Now I play approximately 3/4 year electric guitar and red your mail below.

Question: is it possible to make a video in which you explain the muting etc. or... can you give some more exercises/explanation or tips where I can exactly see want you mean below with mute during bending.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Kind regards,

Spitfire
The Netherlands  ;)

-------------------------- One of your ansers in the forum:
As for muting unwanted notes...

Right hand should be muting all strings above the bent string. Tip of left hand first finger should also touch the string immediately above the bent string.

1st finger should also mute all strings below the bent string.

Macco - don't push the strings into the board - just makes it harder to do the bend. Just push it up!

Hope that helps

J

Goui567

« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2008, 11:56:21 am »
Hello Justin, hello everybody,

i've been playing the guitar for quite a while now (about 6 years), but i still have a little problem concerning my string bending. Notice that when you make a  big bend, you "bend along" the string above it (maybe the 2 strings above it). When I release the bend, you can always hear the other strings getting "plucked", even when my right hand mutes them. Especially with an amplifier, you can hear those low strings coming through, even when muted.

Is there a way to prevent this?

Greetings from Belgium

Rayster

« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2008, 01:56:40 pm »
Questions...
Hi, what happens if your thumb isnt long enough to go over the top of the neck? lol... i have very stubby fingers haha. XD

hoehneb

« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2008, 08:01:15 pm »
Re:   How not to "Seagull"

I'm pretty good at getting the right note in a pitch bend, and, after a few weeks of sticky grabbing fingers, have learned to keep unwanted string noise to a minimum, but I haven't yet figured out how to do a timely mute of the bent string so as not to "Seagull" or "staccato".   The problem I'm having is that I can't seem to palm mute the bent string in such a way as to leave a nice legato feeling in the music. I can mute the bent note properly, but only if there's a gap in time between it and the next note.   If I try to play more legato, I get an obvious "seagull" effect. 

I wasn't to clear on when and how one mutes with the right hand in playing bent notes in the context of a moderately fast passage so as to make everything sound nice and smooth.    I know practice is the key, but practice of what?

Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 08:06:01 pm by hoehneb »

hoehneb

« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2008, 08:09:42 pm »
Goui567:

I found that taking extra special care to play bends with the tips of the fingers helped get rid of string noise.  In addition, playing enough so that the callouses built up on my finger tips, kept the groove that formed in the fleshy finger when the skin was not so built up- the groove that slightly "grabbed' the string, to a minimum.  I've not been playing seriously long, so take this with a grain of salt.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App