Author Topic: TE-106 • String Bending  (Read 136521 times)

Strat0Blues

Re: TE-005 • String Bending
« Reply #100 on: June 29, 2009, 02:19:34 pm »
I'm currently practicing whole tone bends and finding that it is more difficult to perform the bend on certain strings than on others.  For example, I can achieve the whole tone bend on the G and B strings but not on the high E string.  Is this something that I'll be able to do with enough practice?  Or might there be something wrong with my guitar's set up?   

That is a pretty good question. I can assure you that there is nothing wrong with your setup because I have the same situation on several guitars that I have played, and to be honest I really don't have a good answer. One would think that the E string would be the easiest to bend as it is the thinnest but in fact it is quite opposite. Maybe someone else knows that answer.....Justin? :D

Offline gareth51

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #101 on: June 29, 2009, 02:25:06 pm »
I'm currently practicing whole tone bends and finding that it is more difficult to perform the bend on certain strings than on others.  For example, I can achieve the whole tone bend on the G and B strings but not on the high E string.  Is this something that I'll be able to do with enough practice?  Or might there be something wrong with my guitar's set up?   

That is a pretty good question. I can assure you that there is nothing wrong with your setup because I have the same situation on several guitars that I have played, and to be honest I really don't have a good answer. One would think that the E string would be the easiest to bend as it is the thinnest but in fact it is quite opposite. Maybe someone else knows that answer.....Justin? :D
It is because the thinnest string has the highest tension, so it takes more force to bend it. 
Agile AL-3100, Aria STG-003, Tanglewood TFA XB, Blackstar HT-5R, Boss Katana Mini

The-Ulsterman

« Reply #102 on: June 30, 2009, 09:23:35 am »
Cheers StratOBlues well explained, now I know how to practice it right

rendelven

« Reply #103 on: June 30, 2009, 05:44:03 pm »
It is because the thinnest string has the highest tension, so it takes more force to bend it. 

The thinnest string does not have the highest tension.

My D'Addario light strings (EJ16, used on acoustic) shows the tension on the backside of the packaging. It goes like this:
E: .012in, .30mm - 23.3lbs, 10.57kg
B: .016in, .41mm - 23.3lbs, 10.57kg
G: .024in, .61mm - 30.2lbs, 13.70kg
D: .032in, .81mm - 30.5lbs, 13.83kg
A: .042in, 1.07mm - 29.9lbs, 13.56kg
E: .053in, 1.35mm - 26.0lbs, 11.79kg

As you can see, the D string actually has the highest tension. This varies depending on actual string gauges.

Offline gareth51

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #104 on: June 30, 2009, 06:55:56 pm »
I stand corrected.  I found the following info for the strings on my guitar

E: .009" [PL] = 13.13 pounds
B: .011" [PL] = 11.01 pounds
G: .016" [PL] = 14.68 pounds
D: .024" [NW] = 15.77 pounds
A: .032" [NW] = 15.77 pounds
E: .042" [NW] = 14.77 pounds

So now I am puzzled. 
Agile AL-3100, Aria STG-003, Tanglewood TFA XB, Blackstar HT-5R, Boss Katana Mini

Offline gareth51

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #105 on: July 01, 2009, 11:49:42 am »
Being an engineer, this has been bothering me so I have done a few calcs.  So for my 9 gauge strings, bending up a tone at the 12 fret gives

Bend            Force
1st string    19.0mm          8.7 Newtons
2nd string    14.2mm          6.4 Newtons
3rd string    11.3mm          4.4 Newtons

I can't guarantee the calcs are accurate, but the bend distances seem reasonable.  It seems that a bigger bend is required for the thinner strings to get the necessary increase in tension to increase the note frequency.

nicadrick

« Reply #106 on: July 01, 2009, 11:28:25 pm »
Hey Justin,

Thanks for the best site on the web!  I am starting to work on my bends and I can't get away from the adjacent strings getting caught on my left hand as I am bending.

Let's say I am doing a full tone bend on the high E string, I always seem to get the B string or sometimes even the G caught during my bend.  This ends up in a surprising and ugly unexpected twang in the middle of my bend.

Is this a guitar setup issue?

Can you help? 

Thanks a ton!

BahaDave

« Reply #107 on: July 27, 2009, 08:29:51 pm »
Hi All,

My turn to ask a beginner question (no, not why do I catch other strings while bending, I promise ;-) ).
My problem is with left hand grip. Justin shows the 'baseball bat' (thumb over neck) grip to do bends, and it works fine, but then when playing non-bent notes I use the classical 'thumb-behind the fretboard' grip. You probably guessed the problem is transitioning from one grip to the other, it's a pretty drastic move (speak of minimum movement!) and I find it hard to perform in tempo.

Question : Is it correct to use one grip for bends an another for straight notes or should I try to use the baseball bat grip for all notes (yaiks, after all those efforts to keep my thumb behind) ? Any tips as to how to perform this transition ? Is it a normal/usual problem while learning to play the guitar.

Thanks,

Match

« Reply #108 on: August 12, 2009, 01:03:28 pm »
Would it be considered over the top and too picky to use
a tuner to do my bends. I have built in tuner with my new amp and use it to practice my bends.

I have been struggling with getting the sweet spot in my bends. I came across this using the tuner by accident after finding out about 'Intonation' but that is another story T_T. I had my tuner on E and started bending the 10th fret up a tone (starting to get the talk right ;)) to the E. Then messed around and found that Justin's first lick is a tone bend up to a D and started using my tuner set on D.

I just wanted to say this has really helped me (even though all may not completely agree with this way of doing things). I struggle a lot with tuning by ear etc and this has helped me to find the sweet spot and am starting to hear it and know when i get it. Before I always seemed to overcook or undercook it.

Thanks Justin for your site and videos. I got your strumming techniques dvd today. Thanks :)

rendelven

« Reply #109 on: August 16, 2009, 07:35:03 pm »
a tuner to do my bends. I have built in tuner with my new amp and use it to practice my bends.

I have been struggling with getting the sweet spot in my bends. I came across this using the tuner by accident after finding out about 'Intonation' but that is another story T_T. I had my tuner on E and started bending the 10th fret up a tone (starting to get the talk right ;)) to the E. Then messed around and found that Justin's first lick is a tone bend up to a D and started using my tuner set on D.

I just wanted to say this has really helped me (even though all may not completely agree with this way of doing things). I struggle a lot with tuning by ear etc and this has helped me to find the sweet spot and am starting to hear it and know when i get it. Before I always seemed to overcook or undercook it.

Thanks Justin for your site and videos. I got your strumming techniques dvd today. Thanks :)

As stated before, You don't want to rely on the tuner to practice bending. You will be come reliant on this and what happens when you want to play for people? You can't always have the tuner sitting in front of you to make sure you hit the right note.

We listen to music with our ears so it is VERY important to make sure you can HEAR when you hit the right note.

The best way to practice bends is to play the note you want to bend to so it is in your head then try to bend and match it.

KCRitz

« Reply #110 on: August 21, 2009, 02:32:48 am »
Questions/Comments

I have been teaching myself on and off for a few years, so I made up some of my own ways of doing things (right or wrong, mostly the later). Anyhow, about the seagulls; I just dump the string into the finger that did the bend. As the string naturally wants to be higher than the fret. Then I kinda just follow it back. Has anyone else had experience with this? O and it did take a bit of practice, but nearest I can tell seems to work just as well as palm muting.

To the guy with sticky bends - clean the frets, masking tape the board and lightly polish the frets with steel wool, also take care pick-ups use magnets and steel is magnetic. Also new strings help, Justin is right get lemon oil, and if this doesn't fix the problem coated strings tend to be a bit slicker.

P.S. Justin is my new Hero

cesarecf

« Reply #111 on: September 05, 2009, 10:16:19 pm »
Hello, I'm césar from colombia, south américa and i have just a question.

I'm coming from a classical guitar style and now i'm practicing electrical, i can reach a full tone and everything (i guess i acquired strength in my fingers) but today i even bleed under my nail.

Do i have a bad techniche because i'm used to classical playing? or that's usual on long practices? a little accident? just need more control?

I do try to feel the strength on my wrist, but i suppose this isn't normal...

Aaah and other thing: my "callus" (? that what you get in your fingers after long time) on classical aren't enough to this metal strings, any advice?

guitarintermediate13

« Reply #112 on: October 02, 2009, 09:38:54 am »
hey justin
i was wondering when i bend it really hurts the tips of my fingers am i doing it wrong? or are my fingers not strong enough?
from max brown

Willi1207

« Reply #113 on: November 12, 2009, 09:50:47 am »
Hi,

first of all thank You very much for Your lessons, wich helped me more than any others, I got until now.
Unfortunately I could not find any other way to place a post than quoting. So please forgive, if it's the wrong way...
I play an acoustic guitar and am struggling very much with practicing bending. Im not getting further than a semitone until now. Does it make sense to practise it on an acoustic guitar or is this the point where I have to switch to an electric guitar. I planned to get me one in the near future anyway.

Questions...

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 629
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #114 on: November 12, 2009, 12:27:38 pm »
Hi

welcome to the forum

acoustic are much harder to bend as they are usually thicker gauge and under greater tension

go get an electric

:)

you'll be glad you did if bending and lead playing is what you want to do

Offline zkash_guitarist

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #115 on: November 12, 2009, 03:42:43 pm »
Hi

welcome to the forum

acoustic are much harder to bend as they are usually thicker gauge and under greater tension

go get an electric

:)

you'll be glad you did if bending and lead playing is what you want to do

And that's what I didn't do... :D
Check out my roadcase.

Linsen

« Reply #116 on: November 12, 2009, 05:11:11 pm »
If you look at Justin's 'Wish You Were Here' lesson you'll see that even he has troubles doing full note bends on the G string (can't remember what gauge he uses, but I suspect at least lights, maybe mediums), so it's quite normal.

That said, I reckon that sticking to acoustic for a while may prove beneficial once you do the switch to electric, because everything will seem much easier at first and you'll probably see a nice (perceived) jump in your ability. But I wouldn't know, of course, since I don't have an electric, yet. ;D

lecruci

« Reply #117 on: November 12, 2009, 05:16:55 pm »
I have 2 questions on bending down a string:

1. Should i be using the same technique like when i bend up? Should i get my palm close to the bottom of the guitarneck like if i had bent up and then turn my wrist away? Or should i use just the fingers to bend down? It seems to me that unlike bending up, bending down is easier if i just use the fingers and not the wrist.

2. Bending down should be used just on the 5th and 6th string?

Offline zkash_guitarist

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #118 on: November 12, 2009, 05:23:22 pm »
@Linsen: Dude, he uses heavy gauges. I use 11's. Which gauge do you use Linsen?
Check out my roadcase.

Linsen

« Reply #119 on: November 12, 2009, 05:51:31 pm »
Are you saying Justin uses heavies as in .014s? Or was that more of a general comment that you feel he's using quite heavy strings?

I am currently using .011s, too (D'Addario EJ26), but I plan to make the switch to lights as soon as I feel accomplished enough and will probably want to end up with mediums as soon as physically feasible.

lecruci

« Reply #120 on: November 13, 2009, 05:47:57 pm »
I'm a beginner and just started to practice string bending. And i wanna make sure i'm getting the technique right. I notice the there is part of my palm touching the back of the guitar neck when i bend. If i pull it away and have just my thumb anchoring on top, without my palm touching the back, i loose strength. On the other hand, when i twist the wrist to bend up, my palm is rubbing the back of the neck, which feels weird. Which is the right way? I hope you can understand what i mean.

lutherio

« Reply #121 on: November 27, 2009, 02:24:08 am »
Justin - I've just joined this forum to point out a basic misunderstanding that you have concerning your vibrato technique...

You have a lovely vibrato ( :)) - it's just you don't do it like you think you do...

Nobody pushes and pulls the string through the base note. It sounds horrible - makes a nasty warbly sound ( you're accelerating through the note far too fast - it's a spike not a rounded node).

A good vibrato starts at the note, then pushes or pulls to the chosen destination pitch (plus or minus a bit, also tempo variation - the human element), releases, and repeats.

I'll say no more now as I'm not sure you will see this - it's important though.

Your lessons are superb. but the troubled look on your face when you try to explain vibrato..... (I think I do this but it doesn't work - oh look.. At full speed it seems to work... because you're doing something completely different!).

As I've said - not sure you'll see this; but it's the only flaw ( and it is a biggie ) in your wonderful, clearminded intelligent site.

Andrew A

coboltz

« Reply #122 on: November 30, 2009, 08:59:18 am »
lecruci, the correct way would be with your palm touching the back of the guitar neck. Your palm is acting that way as your hand requires the strength it needs to push the string up when your fingers bend the string.
I practised several times before actually succeed making full tone bends.

Have fun practising!  :D

lecruci

« Reply #123 on: November 30, 2009, 07:07:29 pm »
Thanks for the advice. I noticed i had more strength and control with the palm touching the back of the neck but i didn't know if it was the correct thing to do. Like with many things i learn as beginner, i usually notice a certain lack of strength on new techniques. Thanks again for the help.

Offline jerronimo3000

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #124 on: November 30, 2009, 11:03:15 pm »
hey justin, whenever i bend the string down i feel like my fingers are really struggling to keep their place (stay curved).  when they tense up it locks my hand from being able to move any farther down.  if i try relaxing my fingers a bit, it seems like i'm getting absolutely no power at all from anywhere!  please help.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App