Author Topic: TE-301 • Scale Picking  (Read 40716 times)

Offline J0hny

• Good Vibes 0
Re: TE-301 • Scale Picking
« Reply #135 on: April 28, 2015, 10:08:05 am »
Hi guys,

I have reached relatively clean playing of major scale 16th notes at 100 BPMs, but still sounds too slow compared to some tremolo picking fast passages that I hear in some even slow solos. My question is what do you think about directional/economy picking for increasing the speed? Should I give that a try or are you against it as a technique (even though it is pretty much the same as alternate picking  :) )?  ???

Offline KasperFauerby

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 24
    • Kaspers SoundCloud
« Reply #136 on: April 28, 2015, 02:41:54 pm »
I would advice you to start practicing some of the specific fast licks that you want to play. Picking a full scale is almost always harder than picking a specific lick, so it's likely you'll be able to play the fast passages in a specific solo even if you "only" can do 100 BMP at 16th with the major scale (that's actually also around the point I'm at, my max is 110 when warmed up and 100 pretty comfortably). Take tremolo picking as an example - that's a very different, and simpler, technique than alternate picking a full scale.

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
« Reply #137 on: April 28, 2015, 03:11:03 pm »
@J0hny,

I would think you would want to get your alternate picking a bit faster before you worry about sweep/economy picking.

I agree with Kasper, start learning some of the fast licks you like and work them up to speed.  Straight up and down the scale with every note at the same is more difficult than many fast licks end up being.  That is kind of the point of the exercise.

If you are smooth and clean you could also consider adding some variety to your scale picking.  Go up and on just a couple strings, reverse directions... something like in this post:

https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=10400.msg318021#msg318021

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 83
« Reply #138 on: April 28, 2015, 05:05:59 pm »
And don't forget note every note is picked in a lick or solo. Using hammer ons, pull offs and slides
between picking will always sound faster than just picking.

Offline J0hny

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #139 on: April 29, 2015, 09:00:22 am »
Guys, thank you very much for the advice! I never used sweep picking and wanted to know if this is the appropriate time to get to know it, but as I suspected it is still too early :)

And don't forget note every note is picked in a lick or solo. Using hammer ons, pull offs and slides
between picking will always sound faster than just picking.

Yes I always have hard time figuring if it is legato or staccato playing for the fast passages - sometimes when I listen it full speed it sounds like a definitive hammer ons and pull offs, but when I slow it down to 50% for eg. it sounds like almost all notes are picked separately... always being confused at that point :S 

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 121
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #140 on: April 30, 2015, 09:09:33 am »
I really need to do a lesson on the different picking options - just bumped it up the to do list!

There are so many different approaches - and they're all valid - just different :)
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline J0hny

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #141 on: June 19, 2015, 09:11:30 am »
Hey again,

Regarding the directional picking question, I just stumbled upon Steve Vai's 30 hr workout, in which again he speaks of directional picking when changing the strings - alternative picking on one string and if switching to upper string playing upstroke, and if to lower - down pick. He does not mention how to implement it with scales - only with angular exercises.

More over I found a couple of opinions on the web, that alternative and directional picking shouldn't be practiced separately, since they are the same thing, only directional picking is upgraded alternative.

Now since Justin's site and forum have always been a starting point for me and I have implemented exercises like the spider and scale picking in my daily routine, my question is how could I add directional picking and does this makes the spider pointless?

It seems to me that this could boost my skills, since I reached 120BPM at 16th notes (even though not very consistently), but I am afraid that if I don't understand this concept correctly (and since I am missing official confirmation from Justin if the technique is okay :P) I could make a mistake and then have to invest more time to clear it up :)

Please give me some guide again! Thanks a lot!

Offline J0hny

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #142 on: July 03, 2015, 10:55:55 am »
Hey guys,

It's me again  (sorry couldn't find edit button :D)

So after some practicing with economy picking I could tell that it requires some additional effort to keep the rhythm steady (for example playing 16th notes on 80-100 bpm, could sound sometimes inconsistent while changing strings) in my case and I guess it will need some work to get it right.

Other wise for faster playing like 110-130 BPM feels easier and at least I cannot spot any rhythmic problems (simply because it is my top speed and I am concentrated most when playing it, I guess :) )

I started paying attention of my picking pattern while soloing and it seems like a mix - while I play slow parts it is alternative and when I get to fast passages it gets eco...  ??? not sure if I have to fix this, but I think that if it sounds right it should be correct :)

So it seems to me that when playing real music, it is normal to use hybrid between the two techniques, but is it important which one will I use while practicing scales, spider and other technique exercises? Justin is mostly talking about alternate picking and I am not sure if exercises will be correctly performed with economy as well...  :o

Cheers!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 11:20:45 am by J0hny »