Author Topic: TE-101 • Finger Stretching Exercise  (Read 35909 times)

Offline misterg

• Transcribing Beta Testers
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 117
  • Wales, UK
Re: TE-007 • Finger Stretching Exercise
« Reply #90 on: June 04, 2013, 05:38:08 pm »
I tried misterg suggestion, and my pinky pressing the fretboard 90% is mush comfortable. BUT it limits my span very much, I couldn't do a fret apart from my ring finger.

I *think* that is the point of the exercise - you won't be able to move to the next fret to start with, but if you keep practicing, the spread of your fingers will increase, and then you will be able to reach.

Good luck, anyway :)

Offline Chantal

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 40
  • Live today as if there's no tomorrow.
« Reply #91 on: June 05, 2013, 07:08:12 am »
I wouldn't call myself an expert, misterg... It's more than a year ago that J introduced me to the exercise and we only brushed the subject when I was in London. So I could very well be wrong!

I only know this: the idea is to do 1 fret per finger, starting at the 7th fret** when you first do the exercise. Stay there until you can comfortably reach across 4 frets, so 1 finger in each fret. Then move 1 fret closer to the nut and repeat. The idea is to not move your thumb about too much, and you need to feel the stretch in your fingers, which is why you shouldn't do it for more than 5 minutes at a time, or you might hurt yourself. Only when you've reached the point where you can stretch across 4 frets starting from the 1st fret, are you supposed to try and reach across 5, starting again from the 7th fret**.

** Or whichever fret suits you best; you need to feel it, but it shouldn't hurt.
Thank you for the music!

My Roadcase

Offline maxi0361

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #92 on: June 05, 2013, 04:05:53 pm »
I wouldn't call myself an expert, misterg... It's more than a year ago that J introduced me to the exercise and we only brushed the subject when I was in London. So I could very well be wrong!

I only know this: the idea is to do 1 fret per finger, starting at the 7th fret** when you first do the exercise. Stay there until you can comfortably reach across 4 frets, so 1 finger in each fret. Then move 1 fret closer to the nut and repeat. The idea is to not move your thumb about too much, and you need to feel the stretch in your fingers, which is why you shouldn't do it for more than 5 minutes at a time, or you might hurt yourself. Only when you've reached the point where you can stretch across 4 frets starting from the 1st fret, are you supposed to try and reach across 5, starting again from the 7th fret**.

** Or whichever fret suits you best; you need to feel it, but it shouldn't hurt.

great details, thank you, I got it.

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #93 on: June 06, 2013, 08:17:13 am »
I got a new video for this lesson coming out soon.

Chantal, you can do it this way, or stay in the same position and do all the stretches - it depends on what each individual is up for! :)
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline Chantal

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 40
  • Live today as if there's no tomorrow.
« Reply #94 on: June 06, 2013, 08:39:48 am »
Point taken, J :) I was just sharing what you taught me ;)
Thank you for the music!

My Roadcase

Offline txfloods

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #95 on: September 26, 2013, 09:07:40 am »
My question:

How does this Lesson, TE-007, Finger Stretching, relate to the "Finger Gym" Lesson?

In other words, if I'm doing the finger gym everyday, should I do the finger stretching exercise as well? It seems like the hand motions required to do the finger gym would also include the hand motions that the finger stretching exercise includes.

Thanks for the clarification.
Tim

Offline sophiehiker

• Transcribing Beta Testers
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
« Reply #96 on: September 26, 2013, 01:36:12 pm »
The two exercises are very different.  The stretching exercise is intended to increase the distance your fingers can reach along the fret board.  The finger gym increases finger strength and independence.

When you go to the local gym to work out, you exercise and then you stretch.  Same idea.
...where the deer and the antelope play.  Well, they're not really playing.  They're fleeing in terror.

Offline av8torfl

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #97 on: April 09, 2014, 12:52:15 am »
Any advice for someone who's pinky finger consistently lies on its side turned toward the center of the hand?

Also finding my wrist gets extremely sore when doing this excercise.

Thanks

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 83
« Reply #98 on: April 09, 2014, 12:59:37 am »
Spend some time splaying your hand out like a 5 year old who is very proud to be 5. 

Point the guitar neck towards the ceiling at about 45 degrees.  Then with your fingers still splayed, stretch the index and pinky across as many frets as you can.  Don't play.  You are just using the neck to feel the stretch.  By pointing the neck up, you reduce the strain on your wrist.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline av8torfl

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #99 on: April 09, 2014, 01:26:15 am »
Spend some time splaying your hand out like a 5 year old who is very proud to be 5. 

Point the guitar neck towards the ceiling at about 45 degrees.  Then with your fingers still splayed, stretch the index and pinky across as many frets as you can.  Don't play.  You are just using the neck to feel the stretch.  By pointing the neck up, you reduce the strain on your wrist.

Shadow

Thanks, Gonna try that tomorrow when my wrist stops hurting.

Offline mdcougar

• Good Vibes 0
Re: TE-101 • Finger Stretching Exercise
« Reply #100 on: January 24, 2015, 06:40:18 pm »
This exercise causes me pain in my wrist.  As you recommended, I have stopped so as to not injure myself, but I'm wondering if there might be something about my arm/wrist/hand position that is leading to this exercise causing pain.

Maybe if I adjust my position I could do the exercise without pain.  Any suggestions?

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 79
« Reply #101 on: January 24, 2015, 09:38:19 pm »
Lift the neck of your guitar up on and angle more. Any time you get pain in your wrist it is usually
from trying to crank your wrist around the neck.

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 43
« Reply #102 on: January 25, 2015, 09:01:54 am »
You did the right thing stopping to reevaluate things when you noticed pain.
Take stitch's advice there.

Two other things.
Use a light touch. I know it feels like you have to strain to make that reach, but the less tension you have in your hand, the better. If you find yourself really straining to get it, move up a fret or two so it's easier.
The other thing is, take it slow and do it in fairly short sessions. This is not a speed or rhythm exercise, so trying to go fast or use a metronome serves no real use. Trying to go too fast or too long can cause pain, or even injury if taken too far.

I'm not trying to scare anyone off the exercises. They are good exercises. They are easy to overdo.

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #103 on: January 27, 2015, 11:29:43 am »
And you'll find the stretch easier if you are relaxed!! :)
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss