Author Topic: TE-201 • The Spider  (Read 33632 times)

Ian1878

Re: TE-002 • The Spider
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2010, 02:39:08 pm »
@sophiehiker. Thanks. I will keep at it!

Cheray

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2011, 11:41:59 pm »
Hi Justine .... I have one question. I have a problem with the little finger. I play for quite a long time and I never practiced the little finger. A lot of guitar players little finger rarely used but  now that is doesn't matter. In this exercise, we need to use the little finger but it is very difficult to me to play with him. Is it a big mistake if I play spider drill with the first three fingers and is necessary that little finger who is my true problem?

P.S. 
I said that I play for a while so I created some of their own style and technique. But browsing through your site, I watched your lesson where we learn how to properly hold the guitar and hand. I have a problem with my left hand, but I'm quite used to. Specifically, the left hand is always in a position to "play the blues" (because I prefer the blues), and sometimes is very difficult to me to play some chords and a variety of scales, so I asked you for advice on whether to hold of my own way of playing and holding hands, or to start from beginning as I do you recommend?

Thank you very much ... Cheers!

Nemanja ...

Offline sophiehiker

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2011, 02:57:08 pm »

Yes, you should use your little finger for the spider drill!  Yes, you will need to be able to hold the guitar so you can play chords and scales!

Yes, please start the beginners course and follow the recommendations.
...where the deer and the antelope play.  Well, they're not really playing.  They're fleeing in terror.

weirdwillie

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2011, 11:40:40 am »
Hey, kinda new to this posting thing, but have a question.  Justin shows this excersise starting on the 5th fret I think.  Would it be beneficial to move it up and down the fretboard?
Thanks

Offline routerbooter

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2011, 11:48:11 am »
Hey, kinda new to this posting thing, but have a question.  Justin shows this excersise starting on the 5th fret I think.  Would it be beneficial to move it up and down the fretboard?
Thanks
Hey Willie, welcome to the forum.  If you're just learning the spider I would keep it on the 5th fret until you're comfortable with it, and can play it at a reasonable speed (say 80bpm at 2 notes per click).  Once you can do that I think it's a good idea to move it up and down the fretboard, just as is the case with scales.  I usually start on the 5th fret then move up (or down, depending which way you look at it) until I get to the 1st fret, then down (or up) until reaching the 12th fret, then back up to the 5th.  I guess if you've reached a stage where you're purely going for an increase in speed then you might want to keep it on the same fret each time.

weirdwillie

« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2011, 11:51:06 am »
Hey thanks router.  Is it harder the higher or lower you go?

Offline routerbooter

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2011, 11:57:18 am »
I think there's a reason why Justin demonstrated it on the 5th fret.  There are differences the higher or lower you go, since the frets are either wider or thinner.  It can be a bit of a stretch towards the 1st fret, but hey, stretching is good!  Also the angle at which you fingers have to be at changes - it gets more acute towards the 12th fret and less towards the 1st.  The last point is that as you descend towards the 12th fret the strings are usually higher off the fretboard which can make the excersise slightly more difficult. 

Offline AM

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
    • My Site
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2011, 07:21:55 pm »
Should this exercise just be played as fast as you can (accurately) and keep on building speed every day or should I just do it at the same speed every day?
Currently playing 16th notes at 90bpm is this a good speed or should I be doing it faster?

Cheers

flyhead

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2011, 07:30:07 pm »
It's clearly explained as a stretching cum endurance exercise, so speed is detrimental to its purpose. If you wish to use the shapes as shredding practice there's nothing preventing you from doing so, but I suspect that there are more appropriate exercise patterns to use than this one.

Offline Died244

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2011, 09:45:15 pm »
I'm having problems with my fourth finger that is too short I think, when I get to the topmost string(s), I feel like I can't press hard enough to let the note sound clear... Is this part of a lack of technique or just something I develop while doing this exercise?

Secondly, I constantly hear the "bad habits" words, but I never hear what those bad habits are... Can someone tell me, so I can focus on not perfecting my bad habits?

Offline Toad

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 16
  • I don't have monkey fingers
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2012, 05:30:16 pm »
Does this excercise help with picking accuracy?

joshs

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2012, 07:15:09 pm »
Try and see, might be different for you...

But...

Most people will find it harder going lower, especially towards the nut. Because the stretch is bigger. Also because around the 5th fret is such a natural place to put your hand. I think that's why exercises like this usually go for the 5th fret as a starting point. Going higher will probably be more or less the same until you get high enough that your hand is having to negotiate the guitar body and the frets are getting to be smaller targets.

I love this exercise, btw. It's a huge challenge for me. I'm starting to get to the point where some days I can get through a cycle or two without blowing it at slow speeds. :-)

Oh, another cool thing to do if you start really getting it, jazz it up! Change up the timing (switch between triplets, quarter notes, eighth notes, syncopate, add swing), switch directions around arbitrarily, etc. This is some advice I got via Victor Wooten once regarding scales. Applies to any route kind of exercise.

Hey thanks router.  Is it harder the higher or lower you go?

Offline Toad

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 16
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2012, 09:49:22 pm »
My fretting hand is pretty agile already, but I guess it could always use more work.  I'm mainly concerned with my picking though.  My accuracy with hitting the right string is horrible.  Going from adjacent strings is fine, but skipping strings is a struggle.

I will work on this spider excercise and hopefully it will help with my picking.  But does anyone know any other excercise that specifically targets picking or is this the best one?

What bugs me about this excerecise (no pun intended) is the way it sounds.  It's not melodic at all to my ears.  It sounds like a scratching a chalk board!  I cringe when I hear it.

joshs

« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2012, 11:03:36 pm »
Toad, this exercise is way more challenging for the picking hand then fretting hand! In fact it's one of the better exercises I've seen for that.

My old instructor gave me some alternate picking exercises a while back that were great. I only remember the basics, but you can expand on them. Play these exercises with the strings open and your left hand only holding the guitar steady so you can focus on picking. Start on two adjacent strings. Then skip one string. Then two. Then try moving the pattern around (ex. Start on B E, then move to G B without breaking the rhythm). Play with a metronome and gain speed after you perfect it.

1. Easiest

v      v        v
   ^       ^        ^

2. Slight challenge, especially at high speed. Very useful

^        ^       ^
v        v        v

3. Random crazy one I made up to give you an idea how to expand

v  ^             v               ^
         v   ^         ^   V   

You get the point? You can make your own patterns up of course, but make sure to play the pattern exact.

Offline Toad

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 16
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2012, 01:53:53 am »
Looks pretty good josh.  I'll do that.  Thanks.  ;D

Get The Forum As A Mobile App