Author Topic: TE-201 • The Spider  (Read 35572 times)

jimmynitcher

Re: TE-002 • The Spider
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2009, 09:30:06 am »
oh I've just seen the pdf - two per click then

ramxpride09

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2009, 11:07:02 pm »
Hi Justin,

You talk about how you should only do this exercise if you've been playing a while and are somewhat advanced. I've only been playing a couple of months now and was wondering if it would be beneficial to start doing this exercise but with right hand only. It probably will sound horrific, but I tend to be drawn towards songs with picking (like Wherever You Will Go thanks to you!) and want to better my right hand dexterity. In all the picking songs I've learned, I seem to get the left hand down far before I get the picking down.

Thanks for the time

kaleb42308

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2009, 03:23:12 am »
hi. im new to this site but already i can tell that this is a wonderful thing. but my question is when you get REALLY good and spendALOT of time practicing the spider, do you think it wud ever be possible to sweep pick it. it wud require weeks of endless practice, im sure. but do u think it cud ever be done. and also speaking of sweep picking. do you have a lesson on it.

With my thanks and regards

kaleb

Offline PetefromFinland

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2009, 05:43:36 pm »
Ok, I didn´t see anything about this here, so what´s Justin´s (or someone else´s who knows) take on worrying about muting string with the spider? Justin says one should only focus on one thing per excercise, in this being the picking I reckon, it makes it harder to think of muting the string at the same time... so would it happen that if your muting is not perfect yet and you practise it seperately at the same time, it would come later with the spider too so you first you wouldn´t have to worry ´bout it?

Fuzzel

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2009, 09:51:40 pm »
hi. im new to this site but already i can tell that this is a wonderful thing. but my question is when you get REALLY good and spendALOT of time practicing the spider, do you think it wud ever be possible to sweep pick it. it wud require weeks of endless practice, im sure. but do u think it cud ever be done. and also speaking of sweep picking. do you have a lesson on it.

With my thanks and regards

kaleb
You'd have to economy pick to account for the string skipping/direction changing etc... and it's definatly possible, I think Steve Vai published it (or an excercise very similar to it) as paty of his 10 hour practice routine, the key difference being Vai economy pick it :). Needless to say, it's possible to do it at ridiculous speeds if you so desire :).

Filip

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2010, 02:05:31 pm »
Hello!I need help with the picking.I always use alternate picking but sometimes i use twice down or twice up picking because its much easier and simple, is that bad habit or it is normal?Do i have to use alternate picking all the time in playing?I am really busted if i am wrong because it is hard to remove a bad habit...:D
Thank you!

LDuB

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2010, 12:18:25 pm »
Just curious..who did you get this exercise from?  I've seen Joe Satriani use it too

tanman

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2010, 12:35:52 am »
Justin (or anyone for that matter), when you play, is the bottom part of your picking hand resting on the guitar or is it floating off of the guitar?

Davidox

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2010, 08:31:23 pm »
Hi everyone,
It's just a question i have.. i'm doing this exercise for some weeks now, but when i'm playing songs and when i pick strings individually, sometimes I miss the string or play the wrong string.. this usually when i play like the A string and then go to the B string or something like that (string skipping?). i'm just wondering if you guys know any exercise that helps hitting the right strings. Do you think the spider is a good one?

Cheers

Offline sophiehiker

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2010, 01:56:54 pm »
Just curious..who did you get this exercise from?  I've seen Joe Satriani use it too

Satriani got it from Vai who got it from someone else. (see Satriani, "Guitar Secrets")  Lots of spiders out there.
...where the deer and the antelope play.  Well, they're not really playing.  They're fleeing in terror.

Offline sophiehiker

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2010, 01:59:48 pm »
Hello!I need help with the picking.I always use alternate picking but sometimes i use twice down or twice up picking because its much easier and simple, is that bad habit or it is normal?Do i have to use alternate picking all the time in playing?I am really busted if i am wrong because it is hard to remove a bad habit...:D
Thank you!

When I pick it, I say silently to myself, "up, down, up, down, ...".  That helps me keep alternating.
...where the deer and the antelope play.  Well, they're not really playing.  They're fleeing in terror.

Offline sophiehiker

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2010, 02:01:22 pm »
Justin (or anyone for that matter), when you play, is the bottom part of your picking hand resting on the guitar or is it floating off of the guitar?

I stabilize my picking hand with my pinkie resting on the pick guard.

Offline sophiehiker

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2010, 02:02:58 pm »
Hi everyone,
It's just a question i have.. i'm doing this exercise for some weeks now, but when i'm playing songs and when i pick strings individually, sometimes I miss the string or play the wrong string.. this usually when i play like the A string and then go to the B string or something like that (string skipping?). i'm just wondering if you guys know any exercise that helps hitting the right strings. Do you think the spider is a good one?

Yes, that's the purpose of the exercise.

Ian1878

« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2010, 05:59:55 pm »
I'm finding the alternate picking quite difficult to get into but am seeing improvement. I'm not really sure that I understand the purpose though. I wouldn't naturally do alternate picking e.g. after the third note (down stroke on the B string) I found myself wanting to simply carry on the stroke and also down stroke the 4th note on the E string. The exercise requires you to pass over the E string and hit the 4th note on the way back as an up stroke. This seems inefficient. Should I be trying to incorporate alternate picking into all my playing. If so, I don't really understand why. If not then I'm not sure what I'm trying to achieve here (other than some control and awareness of the way I am picking). I realise that I'm probably missing something here and would appreciate some guidance. Apart from that I find this a great way to get used to playing across different strings. Thanks for the site Justin. It is inspirational. Have just received the Intermediate course as a Christmas present. Happy Christmas all.

Offline sophiehiker

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2010, 12:33:15 pm »

@ian1878 - control and awareness are good reasons.  It's the most common way to play with a pick.  Wiki has an article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternate_picking  that discusses the pros and cons.  Merry Christmas.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App