Author Topic: TE-001 • The Finger Gym  (Read 114136 times)

pairshaped

Re: TE-001 • The Finger Gym
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2009, 11:58:46 am »
Hi all, I'm a newbie here so first of all thanks to Justin for all the work and info that's gone into the site.Now, down to business. I have a problem with the exercises in the finger gym especially when trying the 2/4 hammer on combination. The problem is my 3rd finger wants to join in and comes down with my 4th finger, will this go with practice as strength builds or am I afflicted with 'duff hand syndrome' ? Also, when stretching on the 1/4 combination my 4th finger turns in quite a lot, can anyone allay my fears? cheers all

Begginer at guitar

« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2009, 12:07:20 am »
hey pair here is the thing...

you should start reaaaaaaaaaaaaally slow...like babystep...i mean reaaallyyy slow

then probably you will have more control under your fingers

speed comes with train and practice...

a metronome would help on this finger gym to keep you time even

cheers dude!!!

hope it helped
(sorry bad english, i'm br) =]

Sl8sh

« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2009, 05:31:05 am »
Definetely work with a metronome.  What I do is I set mine at a tempo of 60bpm quarter notes and work my way up until I get to a tempo that I need to work at.  Then I do the same for 8th notes and 16th notes.  However, when you get to the triplets, start at 60bpm and increase it.  I'm still working on the finger gym and I've gained some speed by doing this. 

mjmacklin

« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2009, 01:08:29 am »
hi ............. I can't seem to find on the finger gym page where to print out the pdf of the video content as mentioned. Can any1 help me with this? Thanks ........... Michael

Sl8sh

« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2009, 03:07:23 am »
See the sidebar of the website where at the top it says Lesson Index?  Beneath Lesson Index go click on Technique.  It will be there and there should be a PDF file. 

D28boy

« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2009, 02:01:36 pm »
Justin-

first many thanx for the site which I think is great.. Question is . I'm a returning guitarist, used to play rythmn in a band  plus vocals many many many years ago...Returned to acoustic about a year ago playing the likes of Neil Young, Clapton unplugged . Eagles plus some bluegrass & blues & class myself as intermediate. Would you recommend me to practice the finger gym for the type of music I'm playing or is it predominantly intended for the lead electric guys?

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2009, 02:45:55 pm »
I'd say this is useful for whatever you may play.
I should be doing these exercises too IMO, though I also only play the acoustic.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion
Production and mixing

Sl8sh

« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2009, 06:03:41 pm »
I still haven't mastered this excercise.  I can't do the flick off's.  I'm going to ask my teacher on Friday how to go about it or what will work for me. 

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2009, 07:24:22 pm »
I seem to flick into the strings that are next to the string I'm flicking off of.
Production and mixing

Sl8sh

« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2009, 04:46:26 am »
I get more than one string sounding when I try to flick off the string I want.  And my strings bend when I do flick offs which is not supposed to happen.

asguard44

« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2009, 09:14:14 am »
Hi. Just want to say how thankful I am that I found this site. It has been a tremendous help and I will be sending a donation hopefully in the next few days. Anyway, I taught myself guitar at 21 years of age which was 23 years ago now (Crikey) I have never had fast fingers and find playing solos quite difficult. I recently sufferred from frozen shoulders for quite a long time and still have problems with the movement of my arms and fingers.
One thing I have always wanted to do is be quite fluent in the hammer on's and flick offs as you call them. I have been trying your finger gym exercises and I am brilliant with finger 1 and 2. 1 and 3 isn't bad and 2 and 3 just takes a while longer. My problem is anything involving the pinky. It hurts and gets quite shaky at the nut end of the fret board and then I get a slight discomfort in my left arm wrist area. Will this go away if I concentrate on the pinky for 5 Min's a day or should I strengthen the other 3 fingers more first.

Sl8sh

« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2009, 04:04:35 pm »
Hard to say.  It sounds like your relearning the guitar.  Good for you, I'm relearning too.  Although I am 20 and have been playing on and off for a really long time. 

Because you are relearning, the muscles will hurt in the beginning.  My suggestion (because I am uncertain) is to just continue the excercise.  You want to develop the muscles evenly, not unevenly.  My pinky hurts to but that's because I found out I don't have a callus on it.  Calluses take time to build.  Your fingers will hurt in the beginning and as you continue to play, you will build calluses and you fingers will hurt less. 

Hopefully this is of some help. 

gretsch18

« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2009, 04:23:57 pm »
As a complete beginner, i started fonger-gym hammer-ons 2 days back and there's absolutely no strength coming from my pinky....
Are there any weights to bring up my pinky... ;D

Seriously, i guess the only solution is to practice daily and slowly...taking 1 day at a time....gotta convince our brains that speed is outta the equation.

asguard44

« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2009, 07:16:42 pm »
Thanks for the replies folks, much appreciated. Yes I am trying to reteach myself the guitar only better. My problem is for the last 20 years or so I held the strings down with the pads of my fingers so now I am trying to use the tips and that is one hell of a hard habit to get out of. I still forget and start using the pads not the tips. Still trying to get a pattern going for hammer on practice then I will work on them until I put my pinky through the wood. I have never been able to get a good sound from doing flick offs so I will concentrate hard on them as soon as my pinky stops shaking Lol.

Thanks again :)

Sl8sh

« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2009, 04:10:45 am »
Your welcome. 

oslin76

« Reply #65 on: October 13, 2009, 06:34:54 pm »
Questions...

hi when i try to do the finger gym exercise i just can t keep my fingers straight.  they always go at an angle.
is it possible that some people just cant do this or do i need more practice

Sl8sh

« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2009, 02:46:57 am »
What do you mean by "angle"? 

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2009, 02:51:30 pm »
I THINK he means at an angle instead of perpendicular to the fretboard/strings.
Production and mixing

Sl8sh

« Reply #68 on: October 14, 2009, 05:38:18 pm »
Okay......

You just need more practice.  How long have you been doing it? 

oslin76

« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2009, 12:28:15 am »
only a few days

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2009, 01:27:55 am »
Then you definitely have to give it some time. Just make sure you do it all correctly. :)
Good luck!
Production and mixing

asguard44

« Reply #71 on: October 15, 2009, 12:38:41 pm »
I am getting so frustrated with the lack of strength in my little finger so here's what I find myself doing now for a good half an hour or maybe longer. I plug one of my guitars into my zoom G2.1u pedal and turn on one of the drum beats and set the tempo to 100bpm.
Then I start with my 1st finger placed on the 15th fret of the high E string and play the note and then I place my 3rd finger onto the 17th fret of that string and play the note then I put my pinky down onto the 18th fret on the tip as hard as I can without screaming and play that note then take the pinky off and play the 17th again whilst my 3rd finger is still down. I repeat this again just once then I move my 1st finger down to the 14th fret and do the same again but this time I don't use my 3rd finger I use my 2nd on the 15th fret.
So what I am doing is putting my fingertips down on each note slowly and playing the note, at the same time I am concentrating on alternate picking as well using down up down up.
So with my drumbeat or metronome going at 100bpm I am counting 1-2-3-4- and hitting each note on each count. I do this pattern all the way down to the 1st fret and then I move on to the B string and do it. I eventually do this on all strings then I relax my hand then I try it again just hammering on to the strings. It hurts like hell but the tune you make is quite nice and relaxing so it takes away the monotony for me.
Cant do it as pull offs yet. Cant quite get them right at all just yet so gonna try a few weeks of this first. I can feel a difference in my fingers already doing this and It really helps me to use my tips and not my pads. If I have explained it properly give it a try it sounds nice.  :)

Sl8sh

« Reply #72 on: October 15, 2009, 09:11:11 pm »
I still say keep practicing. 

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #73 on: October 15, 2009, 09:14:56 pm »
I still say keep practicing. 
A +1 from me.
Production and mixing

gretsch18

« Reply #74 on: October 16, 2009, 08:16:17 am »
I have to remind myself that it will take MONTHS of finger-hammering gym before my pinky develops muscles. It's only been about a week ....yes, there will be light but for now, it's still dark....  :'( :'( :'(

Get The Forum As A Mobile App