Author Topic: TE-001 • The Finger Gym  (Read 114132 times)

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
Re: TE-001 • The Finger Gym
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2009, 04:33:04 am »
...he said i can start more up the neck...

Here are my tips for all kind of those exercises:

Play them at different positions on the fretboard!

- Do the whole exercise at position 1, then at position 8, then position 15. (or anywhere else...)
- Shift the position when going from one string to the next (1-2-3-4 | 2-3-4-5 | 3-4-5-6 |...). Go up and down the neck.
- Try doing larger shifts (on the same string and from string to string): 1-2-3-4 | 5-6-7-8 | 9-10-11-12 | ...

this will help you get accustomed to the different positions: you will be using different fret hand positions and the fingers will have to behave differently too.

I was having the exact same problem.  My hand span is that wide and I couldn't get the 1-4 combo on the hammer downs.  I just started a week ago and was getting frustrated but this is a great idea and I will try this.  Thanks for the advice.

licksnkicks
Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

xain908

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2009, 08:23:54 am »
Hi i'm new at playing the guitar, just started 2 weeks ago. My problem is the tip of my fingers feel numb, is that ok? Will I be able to feel normally with my fingers after some time?

Offline woodwater

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2009, 04:37:59 pm »
i myself have a problem with 431 or 4321 or any of the 4 to 1 movements as i cant hear the last strings and it hurts around the little finger. Maybe its a matter of time

Fiddler

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2009, 08:33:27 pm »
Short of Amputating my little Pinkie, not sure what to do next.
It dives for cover underneath the ring finger.   Physically putting it in position, using my right hand to place it on a Fret. Once "released", it springs back inward, to the ring finger.
Been using a gripmaster to strengthen. Stretching fingers apart, using back of neck.
With hand stretched, (as if playing keyboard,-------I don't though), I seem to have reasonable control.   Once I wrap my Paw around the neck, it's a whole new situation,-----pinkie dives for cover.

Any ideas ?, Is there some deformity, I'm only just discovering maybe?.

Appreciate any help. Thanks.

Fiddler.

DiS

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2009, 10:09:29 am »
Once "released", it springs back inward, to the ring finger.

I have the exact same issue. My pinkie is "bent". I hope this is just a beginner problem...

Fiddler

« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2009, 12:10:49 am »
Once "released", it springs back inward, to the ring finger.

I have the exact same issue. My pinkie is "bent". I hope this is just a beginner problem...
Hey Dis , good to hear I'm not alone  ;D

I think a lot of the problem , with me at least, is finger strength , coupled with the fact, that I am so right handed . Think I've only used my left for support, lifting, squeezing but nothing requiring any dexterity.
My pinkie is curved in, bit like an under developed Boomerang.    Started using a Gripmaster. To work the Pinkie, I have to jam something between Pinkie and Ring finger, to prevent sideways movement.

Maybe we could start a "Picture my Pinkie " thread. ;D

Good luck.

flyhead

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2009, 07:52:29 am »
Ditch the gripmaster asap. They are worse than usesless, they are harmful for guitarists. Try a search for gripmaster in this forum; they are not highly thought of.

tucker351

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2009, 07:57:06 am »
hey Justin,
             I've been watching your vids for a while now and i was wondering how can i get my fingers to move quicker because i cant get them to move. they are just not responsive enough and i really cant play any thing that faster

flyhead

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2009, 09:04:05 am »
Your hands and mind need to be free from tension in order to be able to play fluidly. If your mind is focused on playing faster you might be your own worst enemy.
  Before practice take some time stretching your fingers and getting them warmed up while at the same time trying to relax your mind.
  When you start off do not have any perception of needing to play at a certain speed, do things as slowly as you need to in order to be accurate. Do this several times, being as relaxed as possible. Then try doing it again, at the same speed, with your eyes closed.
  You cannot force yourself to play fast, you must repeat the exercises until they become natural and unforced, the speed will come slowly and almost unannounced, and is a result of being able to make the moves instictively and in a relaxed manner.

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2009, 06:01:16 am »
Your hands and mind need to be free from tension in order to be able to play fluidly. If your mind is focused on playing faster you might be your own worst enemy.
  Before practice take some time stretching your fingers and getting them warmed up while at the same time trying to relax your mind.
  When you start off do not have any perception of needing to play at a certain speed, do things as slowly as you need to in order to be accurate. Do this several times, being as relaxed as possible. Then try doing it again, at the same speed, with your eyes closed.
  You cannot force yourself to play fast, you must repeat the exercises until they become natural and unforced, the speed will come slowly and almost unannounced, and is a result of being able to make the moves instictively and in a relaxed manner.

This is wonderful advice and makes perfect sense! When I first started playing guitar I really wanted to play fast or as fast as the song sounded when I heard it, for example Sweet Home Alabama.  The faster though that I TRIED  to play the more screwed up I got and the more mistakes I made.  I realize now it's now how fast you play something but HOW you play it that makes it sound good and speed will come naturally.  Practice and more practice and patience and lots of it.  Now after playing this song maybe for the last 2 months taking my time and aiming for perfection everytime I play it, it sure sounds so much better.  Even my sons have said Mom it finally sounds like it should.  So I say TADA on this song!

Licksnkicks
Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

rludym

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2009, 03:41:03 am »
Am I plucking the string for a pull-off just like I would pluck it with a pic with my right hand but just using my left finger instead of a pic? Im confused by pulloffs..... ??? Thx

drumdrum

« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2009, 11:14:25 am »
I have a question too.
Hammer-ons: Do the first fingers that did the hammer-on already need to lie on the fretboard while I hammer the next finger or can I lift them up? How is this training to be supposed?

Thank you

Sl8sh

« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2009, 02:27:15 am »
I'm having a problem with the flick offs.  When you pluck a string, do you simply take you're finger off and let the next note ring?  Or are you sort of plucking it with you're finger when you go to the next note?  I'm asking because my flick offs are not as loud as when I do Hammer ons.  I don't have a problem with Hammer ons, just the flick offs. 

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2009, 01:53:39 am »
I'm having a problem with the flick offs.  When you pluck a string, do you simply take you're finger off and let the next note ring?  Or are you sort of plucking it with you're finger when you go to the next note?  I'm asking because my flick offs are not as loud as when I do Hammer ons.  I don't have a problem with Hammer ons, just the flick offs. 

I'm fine too with the hammer ons but I just started doing the flick off exercises and am wondering the same thing as Sl8sh.

Licksnkicks

Sl8sh

« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2009, 02:24:30 am »
Flick off's really aren't all that clear.  For me, I've noticed that if you do a hammer on and take the finger you hammered with off the string really quickly without plucking, then you do get a note the same volume.  But I have a sinking feeling that this isn't a flick off.  That's what I really want to know, I guess. 

rendelven

« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2009, 05:17:44 pm »
Flick off's really aren't all that clear.  For me, I've noticed that if you do a hammer on and take the finger you hammered with off the string really quickly without plucking, then you do get a note the same volume.  But I have a sinking feeling that this isn't a flick off.  That's what I really want to know, I guess. 

You're correct in assuming that when you 'flick-off' that you are 'picking' the string with that finger.  What you're describing here is just a combination of a Hammer-On and Flick-Off.

Ofcourse, depending on what you're playing you may want a lighter sounding 'flick-off' or one that has more volume. You control that with the attack of your flick-off.

Sl8sh

« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2009, 04:21:42 am »
Thanks for clarifying.  I have more work to do now that I know what it essentially is.  I'm dreading it already.  All I have to do is think about it and it makes my stomach hurt.  I guess I found the one technique I'm not good at.

Stokiemacca

« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2009, 10:34:40 pm »
Hi
I have been playing for about a year and one day it dawned on me" hell all I can do is power chords and a few riffs" so i found this website and now trying this exersise i can do all combonations pretty well apart from 1-4 my pinkie keeps either cathing other strings as i hammer down or I just cannot get the power in my finger to make the note loud enough also I cannot for the life of me hit the string with the tip of my finger with my piinke and all these things are really bugging me. Any help will be greatly appreciated. :-*

BeardedWonder

« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2009, 01:05:02 am »
Hi,
While doing this exercise, I realized that I'm not able to keep my middle and ring fingers straight (they sort of go inwards towards each other) and I was wondering if you had any tips or exercises to help me keep them straight.

Thanks

Sl8sh

« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2009, 08:02:11 pm »
Uuuuuhhhhhhmmmmmm.........

Stokiemacca:

Practice and perserverance?  Not what you may have wanted to hear.  Play the excercise slowly to figure out what may be wrong with your pinkie and then speed it up once you figure it out.  To me it seems that practice is key here.  And be patient....

BeardedWonder:

My pinkie is the only distorted finger because of the pinkie ring on my French Horn did it to me (sort of happens when you've been playing for 7 years) and it hasn't straightened out all that much.  There's a finger stretching excercise on this site that I use to pretty much keep my pinkie from getting any more distorted than it already is.  See if that helps. 

KRIBER

« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2009, 09:32:05 pm »
Hi there,
Having played guitar for years alone in my room, I realized that when I'm doing the hammer on with 3 or 4 fingers, at a moderate speed, if I look to my fingers (especially the pinkie), it lift up away from the fretboard at about 4 or 5 cm!!
Is there any exercise to eliminate to correct that bad habit?
thanks for your help.
cheers

Sl8sh

« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2009, 05:42:39 am »
The minimal movement excercise on this site should help with that. 

KRIBER

« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2009, 07:05:48 pm »
The minimal movement excercise on this site should help with that. 
Thanks I have found it 5 minutes after my post!  ;D ;D
thanks to you anyway.
cheers

Stokiemacca

« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2009, 08:44:44 pm »
I hve improved alot with my hammer on's and I figured out that the problem with my pinkie was that I wasn't bending it when i was hitting the strings.But now i have noticed when doing combanation 2-4 my 3rd finger also tends to hit the string this doesn't have any effect really.I was wondering if I should stop this before it becomes a bad habbit

Begginer at guitar

« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2009, 02:17:41 am »
Hello

I really don't know where I could post my doubt and how awkward it is...here it goes

There is any tip to what to do after a intense train of a solo to help the pain in the fingers? My strings are really hard to bend, and my fingers really hurts. I thought about this when I was shaving...because it's recommended that before you shave you get your face wet with hot water, and after with cold water.

There anything like this to fingers??

I hope I'm not looking a completely retard hahaha

<sorry bad english, I'm BR> ;D

Get The Forum As A Mobile App