Author Topic: TE-001 • The Finger Gym  (Read 114134 times)

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
Re: TE-001 • The Finger Gym
« Reply #100 on: February 16, 2010, 04:07:31 pm »
I have that problem, my little finger is just flying around when the third finger is doing something. I haven't bothered trying to fix it, and will not either.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion
Production and mixing

Berry

« Reply #101 on: February 17, 2010, 01:02:05 am »
I guess its something to do with the tendons, the little finger does seem very dependant on the third one.. Im going to try and fix it, it seems difficult though!

I've actually just tried it, just focusing on the little finger from 3-2-1 flick offs and it doesnt seem too difficult at all, even tho occasionally it does fly off, i guess a bit of practice on it everyday will fix it.  :)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 01:08:15 am by Berry »

K2LU

« Reply #102 on: February 19, 2010, 07:30:53 pm »
A other thing i attempt the finger gym now, but i cant do 2-4 because third finger hit the string first. Got some one a solution for this?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 10:15:47 pm by K2LU »

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #103 on: February 22, 2010, 06:33:51 pm »
the finger gym is helping me with this, but it's progressing a bit slowly.  I'm just looking for a faster method so I can do the gym a lot more accurately.

Building up finger independence takes time... no two ways about it.

Finally after about doing the finger gym off and on well for about 8 months now, more on than off though I have noticed a definite improvement.  With my hammer ons I can do the baby finger with no problem now where as before I couldn't strike it hard enuff for it to ring.  The flick offs or pull offs are improving too be they seem to be taking longer.  My manual dexterity has improved but not as fast as I would like.  Things though do take time as Tourni points out. 

Licksnkicks
Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

Linsen

« Reply #104 on: February 22, 2010, 10:59:10 pm »
Finally after about doing the finger gym off and on well for about 8 months now, more on than off though I have noticed a definite improvement. 

I like that. I've been doing the finger gym for 3 months or so and didn't feel like I was getting anywhere. But it seems there's still hope.

Dii

« Reply #105 on: March 07, 2010, 03:24:00 pm »
Hey guys. I'm learning guitar playing for maybe 2 weeks and i have a lot of problems with my pinky, i can't control him that well as the others, sometimes i even miss the fret  :-[
Just wondering if its a common problem with begginers or is it just me, and if with the finger gym maybe i'll work this out. Thanks  ;)

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #106 on: March 07, 2010, 04:03:19 pm »
It's a common problem.
Practising this enough will improve it.
Welcome to the forum.
Production and mixing

Offline marcusmarkmus

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 77
  • \,,/ SandmarX \,,/
    • my guitar playing videos! =) check them out!
« Reply #107 on: March 07, 2010, 11:25:25 pm »
yeah, everyone has that. when I started I kinda thought that finger shared nerves muscles and everything with the ring-finger, but by doing stuff like finger gym and just playing, it actually gets just as controlled as the rest! just keep at it!
My band on Facebook: Sandmarx
on youtube: SandmarxTube

mvk20

« Reply #108 on: March 25, 2010, 12:15:22 pm »
I know this is a bit picky, but I really like to use the metronome for almost everything I do, and I was wondering what you all think would be the best way/speed to do that for this exercise.  Any ideas?  Thanks!

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #109 on: March 25, 2010, 12:52:09 pm »
It's about the accuracy and effectiveness, so do it slowly. I think it's a good habit to use the metronome though.
Production and mixing

mvk20

« Reply #110 on: March 25, 2010, 01:10:21 pm »
I was doing it the other day with each note at 60bpm - it seemed okay.  What do you think?  I was just kind of wondering what other folks might be doing.

Offline sophiehiker

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
« Reply #111 on: April 15, 2010, 04:39:46 pm »

How are you all setting their metronome for the triplets? 

You know, the 1-2-3's, the 2-3-4's, and so on.  I think Justin said they should be played as triplets.  Are you using the same setting as you do for the doubles?  I have a triplet beat on my metronome, but even at the slowest tempo setting (40bpm) it's too fast!

I started out doing the doubles in this exercise at 60bpm.  After months of everyday practice I'm up to 80bpm. (Still not perfect with the hammer-ons and flick offs.)  Not sure how to set the metronome for the triplets.

...where the deer and the antelope play.  Well, they're not really playing.  They're fleeing in terror.

mvk20

« Reply #112 on: April 15, 2010, 05:52:01 pm »
I've been doing them literally one note per click - it didn't make sense to me to go faster on the ones that have more fingers - you're still trying to get that "workout", right?  I have been sort of "accenting" on the 3 finger sets so they come out as really slow triplets.  I was just wondering if 60 bpm is about right for the pacing.

Offline routerbooter

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #113 on: April 17, 2010, 12:52:05 pm »
I've been doing them literally one note per click - it didn't make sense to me to go faster on the ones that have more fingers - you're still trying to get that "workout", right?  I have been sort of "accenting" on the 3 finger sets so they come out as really slow triplets.  I was just wondering if 60 bpm is about right for the pacing.
I think Justin recommends that you don't exceed 80 bpm, which is as fast as I go.  I also do more "sets" of the ones that involve my weaker fingers, notably my pinky.  For example, when doing the flick offs, where you go up and down flicking off from your little finger to your third finger, I'll do it five times in a row (or until I can't do it anymore) before proceeding to the next set.  This approach may not be for everyone since it involves pushing yourself past the "burn", and you'll have to wait a good 10 minutes for your hand to recover, but it has yeilded some pretty impressive results for myself.

littlesthobo

« Reply #114 on: April 24, 2010, 05:16:58 pm »
Hi guys & gals...new guy on board and have many questions so have some patience for an oldie noob  ;D OK so I started my journey on the road to learn Electric guitar and bought a cheap and cheerfull Yamaha Pacifica 112 and some accessories to get me started. I noticed in this thread ( I think it's this thread ) that someone mentioned a piece of equipment called " GripMaster " , now I was in the process of ordering one of those till I saw one of the replies that said " stay away from that " so would like to know why it's not a good training tool?

I just want to know if I'm wasting money on it or worse still could be doing some harm by using it. Cheers Kevin.

Offline sophiehiker

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
« Reply #115 on: April 25, 2010, 04:10:00 pm »
@littlesthobo

I can't tell you about the GripMaster. I started playing about nine months ago and find it enough to practice on the guitar.

I will tell you to spend a few bucks to get your cheap guitar setup by a good luthier.  My cheap guitar had the "action" set twice a high as it should be, uneven frets, and the nut was set so the action at the neck was too high.  It hurt to hold down the strings.  Life will be easier if the guitar is set up properly.

(Sorry, but this is all off the topic of the finger gym exercise. I'll stop now.)
...where the deer and the antelope play.  Well, they're not really playing.  They're fleeing in terror.

littlesthobo

« Reply #116 on: April 25, 2010, 09:45:25 pm »
@littlesthobo

I can't tell you about the GripMaster. I started playing about nine months ago and find it enough to practice on the guitar.

I will tell you to spend a few bucks to get your cheap guitar setup by a good luthier.  My cheap guitar had the "action" set twice a high as it should be, uneven frets, and the nut was set so the action at the neck was too high.  It hurt to hold down the strings.  Life will be easier if the guitar is set up properly.

(Sorry, but this is all off the topic of the finger gym exercise. I'll stop now.)
Hi, thanks for the advice I'll deffinately look into that as I'm fairly sure the strings are indeed too high.

muddywaters

« Reply #117 on: May 18, 2010, 11:49:04 pm »
Everytime I do the 1-4 stretch (index to pinky) I get this bad burn in my thumb. I think it's because of the awkward position it's in while pressing on the back of the fret board. It's kind of bent in, but that's the way it always has been when I play guitar. Sometimes the burn get's so bad that I have to stop doing the exercise, and this gets really annoying. I just wanted to know if this was normal, and will eventually go away, or if I'm doing something wrong that will need to be fixed.

Offline David V

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #118 on: May 19, 2010, 12:02:13 am »
Everytime I do the 1-4 stretch (index to pinky) I get this bad burn in my thumb. I

I get this too, but actually on a lot of the combinations, especially when doing pull-offs.  I'm assuming it's just strain from having to push real hard.  I'm also assuming it'll go away, but it hasn't yet.  Usually I just shake out my hand, give it a few seconds and get back to the exercise.

muddywaters

« Reply #119 on: May 19, 2010, 01:53:11 am »
Everytime I do the 1-4 stretch (index to pinky) I get this bad burn in my thumb. I

I get this too, but actually on a lot of the combinations, especially when doing pull-offs.  I'm assuming it's just strain from having to push real hard.  I'm also assuming it'll go away, but it hasn't yet.  Usually I just shake out my hand, give it a few seconds and get back to the exercise.

That is what I do aswell, and it's not so much a burn but a cramp. And yes it does happen on a number of the other positions for me aswell.

Also, is this a muscle exercise? Should the muscles in my arm/hand/fingers feel kind of tired like they would after a regular work out say?

zedsnotdead

« Reply #120 on: May 21, 2010, 12:21:24 pm »
Hello, newbie here!

Just started this exercise, and i get the same problem with pain, like muddywaters and David V.

But in my case, thumb and pinky aches like hell!

Both starts to ache when i do any combination with pinky involved (1-4, 2-4, 3-4), hammering or flicking.
It's not the tip of those fingers, really is the the area starting from the wrist and around metacarpal bone (i think of tendons/muscles)

Besides that, i have all the general problems reported in this thread also (some more, some less) like pinky lifting the fret too much, flick-offs not sounding as they should etc...

but what really worries me is this pain...

Is this normal? i mean, even when doing it slowly i get this pain!

PS: thank's Justin, for this wonderfull website and to put so much effort in this project, helping us. Think a donation is on it's way ;)
PPS: sorry for my bad english.  

EDIT: ok, so after a few time doing this exercise, i found out that my thumb aches more than my pinky. And starts to ache whatever the combination is. The pain doesn't start right away, but it slowly "grows" after a couple of minutes, and it's localized from the palm to the start of my thumb finger (like i said, tendons/muscles, not bone itself). Pinky aches whenever i use it.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 02:14:11 pm by zedsnotdead »

Offline Colm

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #121 on: June 16, 2010, 05:09:52 am »
Hello, newbie here!

Just started this exercise, and i get the same problem with pain, like muddywaters and David V.

As Justin said in the video and the written lesson, pain is neither normal nor good, and you should stop doing it and see a doctor.

I get pain whenever I play guitar, but I have various kinds of chronic pain and illness and I know generally why I have pain, and I know it's probably not going to disable me to continue playing, and there's nothing I can do about it anyway, so I just play while I still can.

You, on the other hand, don't know why you are having pain, so you need to see a doctor and find out why, and if it's anything to worry about, and if so what can be done to fix it, and if you should even continue playing guitar for now.

The same gos for all of you that are having actual pain (as opposed to just the normal kind of soreness one gets with a workout).

God bless.

kaoD

« Reply #122 on: July 01, 2010, 07:41:49 am »
I'm having a great problem with the flick-off technique. I can execute it properly, but as soon as I try flicking off with my third finger, my pinkie almost fully retracts, like it wants to touch the hand's palm. It's annoying because it leaves a long gap between the finger and the string, slowing me down as I play.

I've been trying to do the flick-off really slow, to teach my hand slowly growing up speed, but I just seem to be unable to retract my third finger without retracting the pinkie, no matter how slow I try. I just can't.

Any suggestions on how to fix this issue?

Offline medievil

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #123 on: July 08, 2010, 10:47:31 am »
Hello, newbie here!

But in my case, thumb and pinky aches like hell!

Both starts to ache when i do any combination with pinky involved (1-4, 2-4, 3-4), hammering or flicking.
It's not the tip of those fingers, really is the the area starting from the wrist and around metacarpal bone (i think of tendons/muscles)

Besides that, i have all the general problems reported in this thread also (some more, some less) like pinky lifting the fret too much, flick-offs not sounding as they should etc...

but what really worries me is this pain...

PS: thank's Justin, for this wonderfull website and to put so much effort in this project, helping us. Think a donation is on it's way ;)
PPS: sorry for my bad english.  

EDIT: ok, so after a few time doing this exercise, i found out that my thumb aches more than my pinky. And starts to ache whatever the combination is. The pain doesn't start right away, but it slowly "grows" after a couple of minutes, and it's localized from the palm to the start of my thumb finger (like i said, tendons/muscles, not bone itself). Pinky aches whenever i use it.

it's normal in a sense.. you are prolly gripping the neck to hard with your thumb (Pressing into the neck with it) to get power to move you r little finger that is not used to making that move..lol

I've been playing for like 25 years and I started the finger gym a couple weeks or so ago and I got pain as well..for that very same reason... for the last several days though it has virtually disappeared as my hand has gotten used to the position/angle and my pinky has gotten stronger

whenever you are building muscle strength a small amount of pain is involved, if it is severe though, you should stop!

cramps are pretty normal at the beginning though, just stop and let them subside, massage the muscle a bit, stretch your hand and fingers - Hold you arm straight up then bend your wrist down (forward) to 90 degree's then bend your fingers straight down (All while your arm is still straight up and wrist @ 90 degrees)and hold it for 30 seconds, that will stretch your forearm and the tendons that lead to your fingers to get them loosened up and warmed up a bit...

once your hand gets a bit stronger you will find that your thumb doesn't play that big a part...it's just kinda of a pivot/anchor point and is only used to help put pressure on strings when doing bar chords

G.Ben91

« Reply #124 on: July 13, 2010, 07:10:10 pm »
Hi, I have a little problem with flick-offs: I can't do it without accidentally picking the next string (except for the 1st string of course). The actions are a bit high on my guitar (5 mm or so), is that the problem, or is there a problem with my technique? I tried to practice it more, but I simply either pick the next string too or my flick-off has no sound. Well, if I use barre its ok, or sometimes I can mute it, but in most cases it's pretty uncomfortable to mute it.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App