Author Topic: TB-031-036 • The CAGED System 1-6 (all lessons)  (Read 50243 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 05:31:05 pm by justinguitar »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Tandyman

Re: TB-031-036 • The CAGED System 1-6 (all lessons)
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 05:00:26 pm »
Hey, I was curious to know when are using G, C, and D shaped barre chords practical in playing?  It may just be me, but even with practice they seem much more awkward to finger than the A and E shapes.  If I am playing rhythm I would almost always choose to stick with the E and A shapes as opposed to trying to properly finger the others.  Is it just lack of practice that prevents me from not using the other shapes more? or is it pretty common for guitar players to bypass them?

Hakan

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 01:39:43 am »
I would say, the C shape is the most practical among them. I've encountered this form of chord voicing quite frequently in flamenco guitar styles. If I recall correctly, The Beatles use this chord shape often in their songs (on electric guitar, ex 'With a little help from my friends'). The G shape is quite dodgy and audibly indifferent in comparison to the E shape two frets higher. I reckon the G shape could only be useful for melodic passage (the high notes). The D major shape is quite dodgy as well, considering the first finger being stretched so far. The D minor and D7 shapes however aren't hard to do (or jump to) and sound nice up on the higher frets as well.

I should also mention, that using these shapes once in a while in stead of the basic A and E shapes, sounds refreshing to the ear. A wise guitarist shouldn't restrict himself to playing only A and E shapes when there are so many other beautiful sound colors at hand's reach.

kefkef159

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 05:39:13 pm »
I think it's important that you learn to play different things as a guitarist. I think this CAGED-system is very usefull for fingerstyle guitar, because then you can use the chords without sliding the hands across the neck. Basically you stay within the "same" position in stead of jumping to fret 9, then to 1, then to 4, or wathever.

ShigenoriM

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 02:26:14 am »
Hello, I just saw this at the very bottom of TB-000.

What is "In the key of F Major (F G A Bb C D E F) the triad notes would be F A and C. L" mean ??  :-[

Should I have done this entire CAGED course before started the beginner's class ? Actually I am at lesson BC162 and has been fantastic. But I just realized this CAGED  lesson. When I went over I m having difficulty following the CAGED system lessons. Should I wait and come back when I am done with the beginner's course ?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 02:41:49 am by ShigenoriM »

Offline Zapped

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 74
    • My photography website
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 03:50:48 pm »
Hi ShigenoriM. See my reply here in your thread in General Questions.
- Jim
Austin, TX

Get The Forum As A Mobile App