Author Topic: PC-502 • Intermediate Practice Routine  (Read 39344 times)

nitin88

Re: TB-021 • Intermediate Practice Routine
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 07:14:38 am »
Questions...

hello,
i am having problem with strumming along with singing.... how to practice that??
i can either play or can sing..... else get confused with the chords or strumming pattern

nitin88

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2010, 07:19:20 am »
i am having problem in songs when i sing it along with strumming.... i just know open chords nd can do strumming with these!
plz tell me how to practice strumming along with singing?

Offline routerbooter

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2010, 11:50:51 am »
I still need to have fun and leave the routine alone somedays and lean a new song on my acoustic ( paul weller- thats entertainment at the moment), i do feel that im improving more on my acoustic than my electric because i do all my routines ion my electric. I`m practicing daily with my blues scale improvisation but i`m some way short of being an acomplished electric guitar player which is my goal.

Thats my moan for the day, i dont wany sympathy i know i need to just get on with it, you onlky get out what you put in. Just looking for possibly moral support .......i suppose! :-\
Hi Borth
You don't say how long you've been playing for, but I don't see anything wrong with what you're doing at the moment.

Since I completed the beginners course I now divide my practice into two sections.  The first is the "core" practice, designed to strengthen and stretch my left fingers/hand/forearm and improve my co-ordination.  This is a combination of barre chord practice/finger gym/spider/strumming and some scales. 

The second section is more about learning and practicing songs, riffs and licks. This section is never the same each day, as I've learnt so much stuff that I'm yet to master, and there's so much other stuff I want to learn that there wouldn't be time in the day to cover everything, so I alternate. 

It obviously depends how much time you have though. Some days I only have time enough to get through the core practice, and that's fine because I know things like strength, flexibility and co-ordination will take less time to develop if I make sure they are done every day.  I make sure the second section is very flexible though, both in time and content, and sometimes I'll just put on a 12 bar backing track and improvise for half and hour and call it a day. As long as you're seeing a continuing improvement I don't think you have any cause to question your practice methods.

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 151
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2010, 09:24:34 am »
Questions...

hello,
i am having problem with strumming along with singing.... how to practice that??
i can either play or can sing..... else get confused with the chords or strumming pattern

This question is too common... I really need to get a lesson done on this. It's now on the list.
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

borth1967

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2010, 09:16:24 pm »
What i found so helpful was the stage by stage at the beginners section and that you couldnt go wrong, and you knew exactly where to go next and if you needed to practice that stage a bit more. Now doing the intermediate i find it difficult to progress, not really know what stage i was at. ok ..i did  just picking up muy guitar and got on with it....but that was the beauty of the beginners section...step by step.

regards

jon

TheKillerFabivs

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2010, 10:42:46 pm »
Hey guys , I know it's stupid but i really can't understand how to use the "1 hour workout page" , help me!

Danne_p93

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2010, 11:51:36 am »
Hello :) Does anywon know how Mark Knopfler and the other guitar "gods" practice guitar? How many hours a day and what do they practice? Have they a routine? :)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 399
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2010, 12:02:27 pm »
well I know that Bryan Adams ... when he got his first real six string ... played it until his fingers bled

;)

Offline sophiehiker

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2010, 01:55:29 pm »

I heard Justin say the other day that Jeff Beck practices two hours a day.
...where the deer and the antelope play.  Well, they're not really playing.  They're fleeing in terror.

Offline routerbooter

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2011, 12:46:42 am »
well I know that Bryan Adams ... when he got his first real six string ... played it until his fingers bled

;)
But you'd expect your fingers to bleed of you bought the guitar from a five and dime store.

JimLad

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2011, 12:57:45 am »
Hello :) Does anywon know how Mark Knopfler and the other guitar "gods" practice guitar? How many hours a day and what do they practice? Have they a routine? :)

im not sure about any others but ive heard mark knopfler say in several interviews that he doesnt practice.  he just sits and noodles but feels he would benefit from having a teacher.

jim333

Re: PC-502 • Intermediate Practice Routine
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2011, 11:40:32 am »
hi all
Recently i've been adding new excercises to my practice routine and now i have about 20 different excercises which i find pretty useful ("transcribing" and "repertoire" included). It takes me about 2 hours to complete the session, which i find ok. But i have some doubts about the amount of daily excercises - isn't that a bit too much diversity? I mean, shouldn't i be doing like 10 excercises on monday (but double the time), and the other 10 on tuesday? Is there any difference at all? I don't have that much time to practice, so i want to make the most of it...

Offline mouser9169

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2011, 11:54:59 pm »

Well, if you want to go totally crazy, do a search for Steve Vai ten hour (or thirty hour) practice routine.

There comes a point though, and this is true for much more than guitar, where doing is just as, or even more important than, practicing.

Personally, I try to practice three times a day (I'm retired, so I've got as much or as little time as I want to spend). I have three guitars, so it works out well that way too.  I absolutely hate "mechanical" exercises, so I always do an hour of those first. I've got a kitchen timer that I set for 5 minutes for each thing, whether it's a scale, or switching chords, or a picking exercise.

My second practice would be rhythm work (I'm much more of a rhythm guitarist than a "lead", just don't try to tell me lead is harder to learn  >:( ). I'll do chord progressions, my jazz work, strumming patterns.

I may miss my second practice but I always end the day by playing songs - both ones I know and ones I'm learning. This is why I put all the practice in, to be able to actually play stuff. And this is where I can see the progress I'm actually making. Being able to play a song that just baffled me for the longest time, or finally getting the chord changes just right with the strumming in another.

If you're going to be at a "professional" level at anything: playing guitar, chess, software development, pastry chef, you need to put in professional level time. That means you treat it like a job and put in that kind of time (forty+ hours a week to start with). That level is not for everyone (It sure isn't for me). And you don't need to take it to that level to have fun and be able to play loads of stuff. It will take you longer to build up a repertoire, and you'll have to accept that some things you just may never be able to do. For me that's ok. I just focus on what I can do with the time I have and enjoy the progress I make and things I can do today that I couldn't do a year (or even a month) ago.
Mouser's Rules of Music:

1) Always Trust your Muse.
2) See Rule 1)

Offline mattr42

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2011, 06:15:54 pm »
This post is more about practice in general but this seemed the appropriate place to put it. I am blessed to have two days a week which I can devote entirely to guitar playing and practice. What I was wondering was what is the best way to approach this time? Is it advisable to just go through my practice routine over and over with breaks every hour or so or should I mix in more general music things?

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2011, 06:38:44 pm »
Well, it would help to know what your practice routine is acutally like and what kind of music you like play (now and in the future). But generally speaking: if you have 8 hours or more to devote to guitar it might be a good idea to diversify. For most people, practicing the same thing 5 times as long on a single day does not necessarily mean they learn it five times faster. It's just not how the brain works, imho.

Xou could e.g. spent some time learning songs, particularly songs that require the techniques you're practicing. That way you're working on your repertoire while at the same time practicing technique and also getting better at applying those techniques to actual music. It's one of the strategies I use and it served me well.

Maybe you're doing that already, but I'd also devote some time to learning music theory, starting with the basics (scales, chords, ...) and later moving on to all the things relevant to the direction you're heading in.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App