Author Topic: PC-502 • Intermediate Practice Routine  (Read 38573 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 150
    • justinguitar.com
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 04:00:11 pm by justinguitar »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

popolnik

Re: TB-021 • Intermediate Practice Routine
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 01:14:27 pm »
Hi,
Just 2 questions, what practise is the best and what lessons should I do next if I went through the Beginners DVD and I'm comfortable with playing all the blues stuff and the pentatonic. Thx. J.

moptopguitar

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 08:44:15 am »
In this one hour workout, where would i be able to place exercises and techniques such as "Hendrix rhythms" and "blues lead guitar" into the routine? Stretch the hour?  ;)

thanks

Mitch

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 09:35:53 am »
Hey
I would say blues lead guitar goes into improvising...and hendrix rythms maybe as well into improvising...or in songs if you play under the bridge or something like that
hope i could help

JohnnyRoxx

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 12:23:28 pm »
How does the slim down intermediet practice rutine look like?

borth1967

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 05:29:17 am »
Hi
   Going through intermediate routine at the moment, learnt mostly on acoustic( fender dg-4) for the past year, and now electric ( epihone sg) I have made good progress even though i`m pretty critical of myself, and some days just have to walk away for thought trashin my stuff. I understand the foundation of guitar learning has to be learnt: scales/ penatonic/rugs/ etc, and im dailly going through the 1 hour workout, but some days i just put all that aside and learn new songs which to be honest is the enjoyment and gives me a buzz. I do feel my practive is s bit stale at the moment and i need to do somthing to get that drive back.

Anyone goin through the same??

ps: been learning F BARRE chord for over 4 months now at speed......still havent craked it but ssssssssllllllloooooooowwwwwwwlllllllyyyyyyyyyy   gettin there.

regards  jon

Sheppard

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 10:09:04 am »
Hi everybody. I have one question :
In the intermediate routine, it is said we have to pratice some songs and transcribing. What I don't understand is that it's better to learn songs by transcribing but there are two different parts in the routine !
So, should I use tabs from the internet in the song part (and learn more technical songs than with just using my ears) ?

ps :sorry if my english is not perfect but I am french.

cheesus

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 10:16:47 am »
I'm also struggling to write a routine. I've been playing for a while and have decent ability to be able to stretch across the fingerboard so I got rid of the Finger Gym. I also find it hard to learn new things, I feel like I've reached a level where I'm stuck in a right. I know most used chords but can't seem to get to creative with them.

I also struggle to find songs to play that sound good without vocals ( Don't sing ) or just by themselves, Being a fan of big 60's jangly songs and physcedelic music most of the songs are written with just rythm and lead and it sounds a bit boring just doing one or the other if you catch my drift. I would also like to build up my speed but can't seem to really come up with a solid speed building routine.

Sorry for the long read

borth1967

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 06:09:40 pm »
Hi
     Justin hope you can find time to answer this, i seemed to have reached a brickwall with my intermediate practice from your site, i`m sticking to using a metronome and a timer, i also have a printed book which is my bible with all your pages. But i dont feel that i`m making any progress at the moment, before i use to breeze through your begginers section and with doing easy songs and i could actually feel myself getting better. I know that we have to learn the base foundations of the guitar : spider/picking/notes on neck/scales/transcribe etc, some days i just drop my arranged lesson and play easy songs which then feel guitly of not puttin in the hours.

need some direction and insperation form somewhere.

regards  jON

Dazzur

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 12:13:10 pm »
Okay Guys. You dont have too follow justins practice routine.
I do base my own off justins though.
Here is what i do and i think it may be helpful to some of you.
This is intended to be an hour, if you have MORE time thats just awesome.

5 Mins: Spider picking (this IS difficult at first, learn this BEFORE you start to practice it)

5 Mins: FingerGym (This is exellent)

5 Mins: Chord Changes ( Play Everychord you know once and clearly and quickly, Learn More if you dont know them all, and make sure you practice those barres)

Time spent 15 mins, Youve practiced 3 essential things in 15 mins.

5 Mins: Scales AND alt picking (play each posistion you know ONCE and cleanly, practice every scale you know and STRICTLY alt picking)
20 Mins: Guitartheory (i know its boring, you need to know it, go through this site and look or go on the forums or google something you dont understand, Learn theory about major chords or scales, its realy easy and makes you feel so much better when you understand what your playing)

10 Mins: Transcribing (Start with an easy song, Try, Original Prankster by Offspring, Im sure that uses the F# Major Scale, Cus' i was messing about with it and finally firgued out the intro, or some 'the killers' or powerchord songs. OR just open chord songs)

10 mins: Improvising from scales ( get out of the habit of playing scales all.. scaley haha, try to make up a little tune, It helps to hum the tune to your self and put it on the guitar, try and avoid playing scales. And use some Open chords are power chords too and mix them in with the scale i think is good, put make sure you remain in key)

I hope this helped.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 12:15:44 pm by Dazzur »

imike24

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 150
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 04:27:29 pm »
@ Dazzur - you are right - you don't have to follow my routine... but I suggest that your one is a bit heavy on theory and lacking in transcribing... BUT I don't know you personally as a player, and everyone is a little different and needs to work on different things.

My routine is a GUIDE for MOST people it will be a good spread of skills IMHO.

@ borth1967 - think about your goals and make sure your routine is going to help you get there. You might find that you are making good progrtess and just don't realise because we all improve a little at a time and sometimes it can be hard to see it... but think back 6 months and you will probably notice that you have improved a lot!!

And it is GOOD to take time off a routine and play for fun as often as you want to!!!

@ moptopguitar - Blues lead is transcribing... or I ofetn have a "Blues lick and use" section in the knowledge section... too

@ popolnik - what you like playing??? maybe the blues lead guitar, maybe learning the major scales and improvising... maybe legato metal stuff... what ever direction you want to go in!!

J
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

ConnellGuitar

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 06:26:56 am »
Hey J,

My situation is bit unique but if anyone can help me it's you.  I'm a 19 year old student and I've been playing guitar for a few months.  I know all the chords on your site, can strum rhythm pretty well, can alternate pick the minor pentatonic, can play a few songs from your song page, and have just started to try my hand at transcribing.  I just decided I wanted to get serious and make guitar my life because I love it so much and I can't believe it took me 19 years to find my true passion.  My student and work schedules aren't too busy and I truly want to make guitar my profession, so for at least the next year or two I am going to play guitar for 10 hours every day.

So my question to you is this: What should my intermediate 10-hour workout look like? I'm ready to go Steve Vai on this xx--xx, no joke. If you could give me a general outline of how I should maximize my time it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Connell

Offline caseyrh43

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 12:29:54 am »
Hey J,

My situation is bit unique but if anyone can help me it's you.  I'm a 19 year old student and I've been playing guitar for a few months.  I know all the chords on your site, can strum rhythm pretty well, can alternate pick the minor pentatonic, can play a few songs from your song page, and have just started to try my hand at transcribing.  I just decided I wanted to get serious and make guitar my life because I love it so much and I can't believe it took me 19 years to find my true passion.  My student and work schedules aren't too busy and I truly want to make guitar my profession, so for at least the next year or two I am going to play guitar for 10 hours every day.

So my question to you is this: What should my intermediate 10-hour workout look like? I'm ready to go Steve Vai on this xx--xx, no joke. If you could give me a general outline of how I should maximize my time it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Connell

10 hours of practice a day is great, but you don't want to burn yourself out on it. A slow burning fire lasts much longer. 2 to 3 hours of good practice(I mean good practice, no distractions) a day is great and then maybe jam out and have fun for like the other 7 hours, because all work and no play makes me want to go all Townsendy on my guitar. Just my opinion but to each goes their own. 
"The day that I die will be the day that I shut my mouth and put down my guitar"- Sublime, (Same in the end)

borth1967

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 11:33:54 am »
Just wanted to ask about others going through the intermmediate programme: i follow it pretty much, sitting down and practicing while the wife watches the tv, i have notice a little improvment with my picking and that i dont need to look at my picking right had as much.

I still need to have fun and leave the routine alone somedays and lean a new song on my acoustic ( paul weller- thats entertainment at the moment), i do feel that im improving more on my acoustic than my electric because i do all my routines ion my electric. I`m practicing daily with my blues scale improvisation but i`m some way short of being an acomplished electric guitar player which is my goal.

Thats my moan for the day, i dont wany sympathy i know i need to just get on with it, you onlky get out what you put in. Just looking for possibly moral support .......i suppose! :-\

Get The Forum As A Mobile App