Author Topic: PC-501 • Beginners Practice Routine  (Read 64340 times)

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
Re: PC-501 • Beginners Practice Routine
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2013, 07:05:53 pm »
I'm wondering if I should be more enthusiastic during my practice and whether or not it effects what I get out of my practice session. Maybe it's just the current level and the f'n F chord.

Any thoughts?

Your attitude definitely affects what you learn and retain. On the days you feel like your only going
through the motions. Try taking a break from practice and just play some songs or do some noodling.

Don't let the F chord get you down. It's a challenge for everybody. You can play the F(E shaped barre
chord) up the neck at the 3rd fret(G major) or 5th fret(A major) which is a little easier to play because
there further from the nut.

Offline goflvhxj963

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2014, 02:44:53 am »
Hey guys having a little trouble here. I really don't have any problem with fingering or techniques. The thing is that I've always been bad at memorizing that I'm not able to move on to the next stage fast enough. (I'm having trouble with figuring out what the chord is by ear). Am I the only one having trouble with this?

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2014, 03:39:20 am »
No. You need to do the ear training exercises.

Offline mouser9169

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2014, 02:13:01 pm »
Hey guys having a little trouble here. I really don't have any problem with fingering or techniques. The thing is that I've always been bad at memorizing that I'm not able to move on to the next stage fast enough. (I'm having trouble with figuring out what the chord is by ear). Am I the only one having trouble with this?

Make sure you really focus on the 'reference' pitch or chord and keep that 'in your ear' when you listen to the other chords.  Very few people have the ability to simply hear a note or chord in isolation and name that chord: that's what's called 'perfect pitch' (or polyphonic perfect pitch if they can name all the notes played in a chord).  That ability cannot be learned.

What can be learned is the intervals between one note or chord and the next. To do that, you've got to keep your reference note (or chord) firmly in mind so you can 'hear' how far up or down you're moving in terms of half steps and whole steps.
Mouser's Rules of Music:

1) Always Trust your Muse.
2) See Rule 1)

Offline rajvignesh95

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2014, 06:49:36 am »
Hello everybody.. I just started playing the guitar.. It's been two days since I started and I've been practicing like mad . My calluses are building up slowly. I've got a little doubt now. I won't be able to play my guitar for another 10 days. Would this affect me? Would my calluses go?

Offline deadeye_ag

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
    • Texas Music Blog
« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2014, 01:32:57 pm »
Hi rajvignesh,

Don't rush it, you don't need to practice for hours a day, especially at first. 20-30 minutes max. It's better to do a little 5-7 days a week than a 4 hour marathon on the weekend where your fingers hurt so bad you can't touch a guitar for a few days. Justin lays out a great practice schedule in his lessons at each stage. Justin follow that and you'll be good!

Offline xxx

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2015, 07:04:40 am »
Can I look at my left hand when I do one-minute chord changes?

I'm at the point that, for almost any two chords, I can change between them more than 60 times in a minute if I am looking at my left hand. If I am not looking at my left hand, my speed drops to maybe 30 or 40 times a minute for difficult changes.

Should I be practicing one-minute chord changes without looking at my left hand?

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2015, 04:17:59 pm »
Some will say not looking will come with time But I'd say what you don't practice you never learn and
Justin says 'Practice Makes Permanent". I'd recommend practicing both ways. The more you practice
not looking the sooner you will be able to play without looking.

Offline Lnphappy

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2016, 11:52:26 pm »
Would you have this practice routine for Beginners (same as this document) but in your Ukulele section?  For new Ukulele players?  Or could you give me an example to start with?  Much appreciated! 

Offline LogicalShane

• Good Vibes 0
  • Hoping we all are getting smarter everyday!
« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2016, 05:34:33 pm »
I've reached the intermediate level now, especially with my fretting hand. I wish I would've worked more on my rhythm, timing and strumming more in the beginning but better late than never. I'm working with a metronome and have drastically improved.

It's proven difficult for me to keep my hand moving continuously during strumming, where it's not about up or down strokes but more about whether or not your hitting the strings on those movements.

I'd like to solidify my rhythm hand in that fashion as well as getting a better sense of time. I'm 50/50 on the foot tapping thing. In understand the concept and seem to move my head more. The biggest issue with foot tapping for me is that I have 5 screws and a plate in my right ankle and it's just not comfortable or easy for me, and if I tap with my left foot it's moving my fretting hand.

Another thing: sometimes my down-up kinda strums between chords don't produce a steady, smooth sound. Sometimes it's great and sometimes it's choppy and disrupts the rhythm. Justin has been emphasizing rhythm importance since I started watching him a year ago, and it makes so much sense!

So in relation to rhythm, these are some obstacles for me. Any input is greatly appreciated!
Thanks for reading!  8)
"A fool thinks himself to be a wise man, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool." W. Shakespeare

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 73
« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2016, 06:48:49 pm »
Logical first off I'd say given how you've described your playing are you really sure you've finished the BC and are ready for IM? Have you looked at Justin's consolidation list and being honest been able to tick all off as achieved? if not then you're only fooling yourself if you think you're ready to go on to the IM.

By the end of the BC CONSOLIDATION you should be able to play pretty smoothly. You certainly shouldn't have problems keeping your hand moving continuously. You should be able to play a good number of songs from the BSB.

As minimum I'd hit reverse and go back over the RUST parts of Justin's BC course and then start to play songs, songs and more songs.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Zoom MS50G
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnb

Offline LogicalShane

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2016, 07:11:36 pm »
Rossco01

First off, thanks for the reply. I'm new to the site but know Justin's YouTube work. I wasn't aware of all the resources here, which I've been exploring today.
I guess in short by saying I've reached intermediate was the quickest way for me to say I'm not struggling with open or barre chords anymore, and my understanding has grown exponentially.
Looking for more guidance and advice has now been a priority, which has brought me to The community... I love it! I've been exploring for the past few hours and I think this will really help solidify some fundamentals I neglected over the past 12 months.
Despite me being a very fast learner, there are some pitfalls of doing the YouTube Guitar school thing. There's tons of great information but without someone introducting new ideas it takes longer to feel your way there.
In short, I've found the direction I need here and I'm going through them now. I'm actually getting a real gauge on my playing and weak spots.
Thanks - Shane
"A fool thinks himself to be a wise man, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool." W. Shakespeare

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 57
« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2016, 09:16:47 pm »
Shane,

I can think of a few ways to proceed. The best would be to go to the Beginner's Course section, and do the course. Each stage has chords and rhythm and theory etc sections, and a consolidation checklist at the end. I would systematically go through the checklist, and address any shortfalls. This should fill in any gaps in your knowledge and technique, which can happen when you take the scattershot 'whatever turns up on youtube' approach. The best thing about the course is the logical, sequential way it builds gradually. Given that you know your chords, that section should be easy, giving you !ots of time to work on your rhythm, listening and learning songs. At the beginning, rhythm will be one two three four. Get it down, get it smooth, get it regular, use it in songs. Work your way consistently through the course.

The second way would be to go to the Practice section and devise your own schedule for moving forward. Given what you've said, I would definitely buy the first Strumming Techniques DVD, and make that a part of your practice routine.

But really, just do the Beginner's Course, front to back. It'll fix up lots of problems.
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Fender Bass breaker 18/30, Yerasov GTA 15, Big Muff, Tubescreamer, Vox Wah,, Belcat Analog Delay, Phase 90,, Splash MkIII, Electric Mistress, Trelicoptor

Offline LogicalShane

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2016, 04:31:07 pm »
I went through the beginners consolidation and I'm good except for the B7 sometimes, I'll fix that in no time. The IM course has really exposed a major weak spot in my playing, and the diagnosis is 'Finger-Flailing'. The cure: intense physical therapy.
My rhythm is tightening up, and I also see, hear and feel the chord changes now when I see others play so I guess I was over critiquing myself.
Aside from my lack of speed and minimum movements (which are directly related) I've been able to work toward my "Specialty" area: Fingerpicking lead/vocal notes while simultaneously playing rhythm. Playing lead was never a priority but it's something I'd like to do, of course (do better). So I'll be focusing on my finger technique, trying to get my movements as small and close as possible. That will REALLY elevate me to the next level.

I'm suprised both at the fact that it's so difficult to command your fingers to hover above those strings, and how fast the mistakes seem to be overcome when you single them out. I can tell this is going to be a difficult hurdle but so necessary... I'll get there, just like I did with everything else I've learned so far!

Offline OrangeDog

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2019, 08:46:40 am »
How important do you think it is to stick to the suggested practice schedules?

I have a very busy life (full time job, young family etc.). Guitar gives me some down time. It's sort of an escape for me and very good for my "sanity".

I pick up my guitar for at least 30mins pretty much every day (I may miss one here or there). However, I find it hard to stick with a disciplined practice schedule. Some days it's fine, others I just want to pick the guitar up and strum away at some songs. I find that I am far more motivated to work at songs than other abstract practice routines i.e. chord changes etc.

I'm hovering around stage 4/5/6 at the moment (still working on stage 4 & 5 chords, but trying to make a start with F chord too). I have 20+ songs that am playing (some complete, others need work).

I guess I know that not being as disciplined with the practice routines will slow my progress, but is allowing my guitar time to be dominated by practicing songs such a bad thing? Will it cause me to develop bad habits or miss some fundamentals?

Just looking for a view on this.

Thanks all.

Sent from an alternate reality

Get The Forum As A Mobile App