Author Topic: PC-501 • Beginners Practice Routine  (Read 63030 times)

lerenah

Re: TB-020 • Beginners Practice Routine
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2009, 01:28:10 am »
@ Dunk

Hi, actually yes, I think if your chords aren't ringing true the next day, you may find that you need to press harder on the strings and like Justin said, it will hurt for a while until you build up calluses at the tips of your fingers.  The frustration, I can definitely account for...lol.  I've been playing on and off for a couple of years, and I'm still at the beginner level because I don't play everyday, which I should.  So, I would say definitely keep the consistency in there and you'll get better in no time. Just work through the frustration. :) Hope this helps.

lorezolutions

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2009, 04:55:43 pm »
i have just read this article to see how to structure my practice routine as I progress (I'm returning to playing after a long hiatus away from the guitar and groove the fundamentasl) but i wondered whether this is based on v1 of the beginners course? The reason I ask is in stage 5 of TB-020 it mentions "5 mins - Learn the Minor Pentatonic Scale" but in v2 of the course it is in stage 7.

BubbleDragon

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2010, 08:19:33 pm »
How do you know when to move on to the next group of lessons?

I know I haven't "mastered" the first group yet, but things are progressing - I'm just getting a little bored with the same routine every day.  I've been working on the "A-D-E" set of lessons for about a week or so.  I get about 30 minutes in total a day, sometimes a bit more.  (I'm a new mum, and my boys really like to watch me play, even if it's bad!  Lol.)  I can do about 17-20 "round trip" changes in a minute on these chords, and I'm slowly getting the Three Little Birds song to sound pretty nice.  I also throw in a few rounds on the A Major scale and an exercise a teacher told me to do where I pick each of the strings sequentially on the first four frets, downpicking and then uppicking.  Kinda helps get my fingers moving and stretches out my ring and pinky pretty well.

Do I really have to master this one before I move on, or should I add to it and keep working on previous stuff as I go?

Sorry this is a pretty old topic, I didn't know if anyone would answer or not.

B2604

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2010, 07:33:17 pm »
Hey, I have a little doubt. Justin says to advance to stage 4, only if you can make over 20 changes in a minute. Are those changes, the "round trip" ones or every single chord change?

Thanks in advance

Offline Bootstrap

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
  • Never yield.
    • The Tale Of Bootstrap
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2010, 09:28:28 pm »
Every change
The best guitar is the one you have in your hands
Road Case last update 11 Mar 2012

B2604

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2010, 01:04:33 pm »
Thanks!  :D
I think I should advance then!

B2604

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2011, 09:54:55 pm »
What's the average time you guys "stay" at one lesson, is it one a day?

flyhead

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2011, 09:59:46 pm »
I've been on a couple since Maggie was Prime Minister.

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2011, 06:35:45 pm »
What's the average time you guys "stay" at one lesson, is it one a day?

You need to practice the lesson until the content sinks in (not necessarily until it's perfect)  - everybody will vary, but I guess it'll take most people more than a day for that.

Sometimes stuff sinks in quickly and you can move on. Other times it seems to take ages to get the hang of something. A week is still a very short time in the scheme of things, let alone a day!

Andy

B2604

« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2011, 04:32:17 pm »
Andy,

I'm saying about the lesson itself, not the stages. To advance to the next stage, I really take more than 2 weeks usually. But there are some lessons, that Justin simply teaches a single chord. But either way, I see everybody takes some weeks to advance, so I think the time I stay in one lesson is irrelevant if I am practicing the whole stage for some weeks, right?

Thanks!

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2011, 06:46:54 pm »
Err... probably.

Just don't get too far ahead or skip any lessons. It's important to cover the lessons in order.

Andy

juzz88

« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2011, 02:13:01 pm »
Hi guys.

In one of the videos Justin mentions that he thinks you should only practice 15-20 minutes a day, but that practice time is different to actual playing time.

What I want to know is, when you are a beginner and are learning your first songs, does learning a song fall under practice time or playing time?

Cheers.

flyhead

« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2011, 03:13:44 pm »
I think the general message is to prioritise a technique based regimen. As long as this is your main focus then there's no harm in spending an occasional session practicing a song, as long as it falls within the skill-set that you have acquired.

Dii

« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2011, 07:12:15 pm »
About practice time, i've been doing this course for a year, and what you need is self discipline. You need to know if you're confortable with the exercises and if it's natural to your fingers. I had to spend maybe 2-3 weeks in each lesson because i do have small fingers, and those stretches were painful, like the C chord , hurts !  :D

Joe_Navy

« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2011, 01:48:03 am »
I've only been playing for about a week and a half but the shortest practice time I've had so far is about 2 hours, and the longest was 6... I practice everyday, but I've been wondering if I've been practicing too much. I noticed Justin said it is better to practice ten minutes every day than 1 hour on Saturday. But like I said, I've been practicing two hours everyday at the least. Shoud I cut back or is this good?

Get The Forum As A Mobile App