Author Topic: TB-009 • How To Use A Metronome  (Read 21500 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
TB-009 • How To Use A Metronome
« on: July 14, 2008, 04:06:54 pm »
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 05:27:08 pm by justinguitar »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

jeffpa

Re: TB-009 • How To Use A Metronome
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 10:40:16 am »
Hi
I signed up to let you know your link is down to the merchants page for the metronome.

GuitarGirl2013

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 03:47:27 am »
how can I spend my time using a metronome wisely? it doesn't seem like fun but my teacher says i'll never get any better without using one.

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 247
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 04:24:25 am »
Click on the link in Justin's post this is a lesson specific thread on using a metronome. Everything you need
is in the lesson.

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 08:31:44 am »
@GuitarGirl2013: not sure if Justin mentions this, but if you get tired of being beeped at by your metronome, you can also use e.g. a simple drum track, drum software or a drum computer as a substitute. I mostly use a multi-fx pedal with drum-feature (Digitech RP-155) instead of a metronome. However, I'd start with a metronome. I thing it's simplicity is helpful in the beginning, nothing confusing there.

Offline digger72

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 106
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 06:01:40 pm »
Hi Guitargirl.

I echo Jack's comment. The sound of the metronome actually stressed me out, so i swapped to a drum machine - just a simple kick and snare beat to keep time. Made all the difference. Definitely worth investing time, "playing in time."

jamesmartin

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 08:56:14 pm »
This may sound silly, but I have this problem while playing where my mind seems to wander and I lose time/track of where I was. This is especially the case trying to play songs all the way through. Even songs I *love*, I catch my mind drifting off, thinking about something other than the music.

Any tips on how to stay focused long enough to make it all the way through a song?

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 09:58:06 pm »
James - use a timer set to 5 minutes and concentrate for that time, and then let your mind wander at the end of the practice session. Often trying to work too longs causes problems. If you can't last 5 minutes, try 2 or 3 and work your way up. I still only do 5 min sessions to get max benefit for my time!!
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

jamesmartin

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 06:21:15 am »
James - use a timer set to 5 minutes and concentrate for that time, and then let your mind wander at the end of the practice session…

I had been using the 5 minute timer for my other practice exercises; don't know why I didn't do the same for practicing songs.

This afternoon I finished my normal practice session with 5 minutes each of: Rhythm Ties, Bass Note Picking and then basic 12 bar blues — all with the metronome set to 60bpm. Then I took 5 minutes break and let my mind wander. After the break I took 5 minutes to play the basic rhythm section for "Mad World", also at 60bpm, and nailed it on the first try (this song takes almost 5 minutes to play through at 60bpm, so it's a great practice tune).

Justin, thanks so much for the advice. I feel like I just made a monumental breakthrough with that one simple tip.

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 01:44:31 pm »
you're welcome :)

Offline greybox

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 09:41:33 pm »
I read this thread and found I was stuck due to the same issue...mind wandering and the metronome app I had was on my phone so the screen would time out...I have used the backing tracks in the past but start to solo off....I think the 2-3 minute and then working up to 5 mins will work for me.

Offline mouser9169

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2013, 10:13:23 pm »
I know Rusty Cooley is a big fan of the "5 minute interval" practice schedule, and he seems to do pretty well on a guitar. Although he's not as big a fan of metronomes - maybe it's because they don't make ones fast enough to count for him  :o

In seriousness, he said in an interview that when he was learning no one ever explained to him how he could use a metronome to help him practice - he thought they were only for people who couldn't count time so he never used one in his early stages.
Mouser's Rules of Music:

1) Always Trust your Muse.
2) See Rule 1)

Offline Smith

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 11:33:24 am »
I fing using a metronome hard, usually because it seems too slow when your practicing but I'm told to play slow when you're learning. It seems to take an age to beat especially at 50-60bpm, so slow that I find it hard to stay in time perticularly with all down strums or picking.
Don't know if anybody else suffers with this but when I first use the metronome it seems to slow down :o sounds strange but to my ears it seems faster than it is, you start to play along to it & within a few beats it feels like it has slowed down a bit & you have to adjust your timing, dunno maybe just me being a noob!
A weird thing happened just recently when I played along to Imagine (the original track) & that was that I could play along in time sooo much easier. To me it seems easier to play to music rather that a click click click of the "nome"!
Smithy.

Offline mouser9169

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 11:43:08 am »
There does reach a point where playing slowly and keeping in time is harder than playing fast and keeping in time.

That said - if you're having trouble keeping the beat at 60bpm, which is about the tempo for a slow blues, practice playing just a single note in eighth notes or triplets until you can keep the time. Yes it will feel like you are being held back - that's kind of the point. This gives you plenty of time to make you chord changes, strum accurately, etc... Then, when you gradually speed it up, everything will stay nice and tight.
Mouser's Rules of Music:

1) Always Trust your Muse.
2) See Rule 1)

Offline Smith

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2013, 03:37:28 pm »
Thanks for the advice mouser, I will give it a go. :)

Offline Bug

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2013, 06:15:57 pm »
I just wanted to say that I bought the Korg MA-30 nine months ago and it's already stopped working - the sound no longer works at all.

Disappointing. Couldn't recommend one to anyone.

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 247
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2013, 06:57:28 pm »
Have you check the battery?

Offline Bug

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2013, 07:00:03 pm »
I have Stitch. It didn't help  :(

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 247
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2013, 07:04:30 pm »
It should be under warranty. If you have your receipt take it back. Sucks that it quit on you. They do
stand behind their product.

Offline Mighi Tarra

• Good Vibes 1
  • Never too old to start ... but feeling clumsy!
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2017, 11:07:06 pm »
I use the metronome in the 1 minute changes. Is it right? Is it wrong?

I found out that I was muddling all the chords to increase the amount in the minute; no good.
I found out my changes were made at different speed in ...  let's say Dm to E than E to Dm.
I found out that the metronome gave me the mental anticipation to get the new chord ready, and even sometimes made my hand do it w/o thinking.

So here's what I do:
    1st:  I do a 30 sec. first approach
    2nd: Set the metronome at aproximately that speed or a little slower with 1 beat per change/bar.
    3rd: Try the speed for aprox 15-20 secs and speed up in 5bpm if ALL the chords are clean and in time
    4th:  When I find the right-ish speed I try with the metronome for 1 full minute
    5th:  Ticked right when the speed is 80  beats/changes per minute.

It works for me! Has anyone else tried this?

I also use it to practice the chords progressions, but then with 4beats per bar.

Cheers!

PS.: Beginner Level 2-3

Tanglewood TW28 CSN, Squier Affinity Strat HSS, Fender Champion 20, Epiphone Les Paul Express ... so far.

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 247
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2017, 11:29:42 pm »
What ever helps you learn is good. Using the metronome will also help you keep time.
Keep up the good work
Don't for get to have fun and learn songs.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 195
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2017, 07:38:45 am »
I also use a metronome for changes, it definitely improves your timing. As you've said you have found yourself taking longer to change from one chord to another with different chords, playing in a song doesn't allow you to do this, so in real terms taking longer over one change than another could be learning a bad habit.
The metronome is your best friend!!!
Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App