Author Topic: TB-007 • How To Find All The Notes On The Neck  (Read 56043 times)

dneeman

Re: TB-007 • How To Find All The Notes On The Neck
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2011, 08:25:51 pm »
a good way when you don't have a guitar with you (you are on a bus for example, or trying to fall asleep:), is that you try picturing each string:
for example: E
E1 is F
E3 is G
E5 is A and so on.
or
B1 is C
B3 is D
B10 is A
B12 is B:)

I found out this is good because when you get used to remembering the number that corresponds to the root, it will be easier to form chords by yourself. Or if someone asks you "find me a B /11, then you know that the 11th of the B is A# and you even know where to find it!

not so sure i explained it clearly, hope it helps!

kefkef159

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2011, 03:36:03 pm »
I have my doubts if this really help you finding a random note, because basically you're running on auto-pilot, if you've done this for several times. So what I think is that you need to play the C loop to find the C on string x or does this really help if you just need a random note?

I'm note offending the lesson or something, I'm just a bit sceptic, since you're running on auto-pilot. You might have the 160 bpm and know all the notes, but if they ask you a random note. I think you still have some struggles, because you aren't in the "loop".

visualbasicide

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2011, 11:55:47 pm »
For those of you trying to find some theme to this whole exercise, maybe this will clear it up for you a little, might want to look at the chart while I explain it, since I myself and still working on it.

The easiest way I can explain what I see is by using the E on the 12th fret. if you count back down the fretboard 5 frets, and drop down one string, you will be on the same root note. so on the A string your now on the 7th fret. 5 more frets and one string lower, your on the D string 2nd fret. This leaves you with one more fret to count before the cycle repeats again from the 12th fret on the next string, so counting D string 1st fret, starting over on G string 12th fret we need to go 4 more frets to make it equal 5 frets total again.

the exception is of course the B string which the distance will only be 4 frets distance.because all of the strings are a perfect 4th away from each other in tuning, and the B string is a (major 3rd?). take a look at the picture and count back 5 frets and drop down a string.

I understand the terminology is incorrect as the strings start on the little e and go "down" to the big E but I'm talking perspective from your face looking down at the strings. This observation doesn't change no matter what note you pick anywhere on the board. you can alternatively count "up" 5 frets and "up" one string (except for the B string where the distance will still always be 4 frets) and it never changes. Pretty slick I think, as long as you can do simple math this will work out perfectly. (assuming my ability to explain what I'm seeing is clear enough). Pop up the image in a new window and check out what im talking about, after checking it out you should see exactly what I'm talking about. Hope it helps make it "click" for some of you.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 88
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2011, 01:06:27 am »
What I also found helpful is knowing the intervals from a 6th, 5th and 4th string root. This way you can easily find the right intervals and determine what the notes are counting from the root.

To expand on what visualbasicide said - of course knowing where your varios interval (double stop) fingerings are, that help too. Plus, not forgetting that the guitar is tuned in fourths with the exception of the G and B which is smaller - a major third.
vbide, this is basically what your methology is based on (or it's how I see it, at least).

Just my 0.02! ;)
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline irishalkies

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 36
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2011, 03:01:53 am »

I found out this is good because when you get used to remembering the number that corresponds to the root, it will be easier to form chords by yourself. Or if someone asks you "find me a B /11, then you know that the 11th of the B is A# and you even know where to find it!

not so sure i explained it clearly, hope it helps!

T   T   S  T  T    T   S
I don't get this. Is it just me? In my mind a B11 would be E. B C# D# E F# G# A# B
                                                                                             4
                                                                                             11

« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 08:15:06 pm by irishalkies »

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 88
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2011, 02:34:14 pm »
Irish, you do get it - because you actually got it right. The full chord (I think) would be B-D#-F#-A-E. The A# is the major 7th.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

glastoandy

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2012, 05:34:30 pm »
Hi being a beginner, I have a question regarding the notes on the neck. I understand the notes of the open strings EBGDAE, so logically the first semitone on the 1st fret of E, is F, so why isn't this the same for the first fret of all of the open strings ( except the other E ). Please ignore this I should have been looking at the strings as EADGBE! : :

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2012, 06:46:06 pm »
Well, it is: the first fret is one semitone higher than the open string. Always.

I might be wrong here, but is it possible you're struggling a little with the notes themselves (chromatic scale)? There's a lot of information on the site about notes and scales. Or if you can, you should really get Justin's "Practical Music Theory", that's a more structured approach specifically designed for beginners.

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 155
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2012, 07:46:07 pm »
first semitone on the 1st fret of E, is F, so why isn't this the same for the first fret of all of the open strings

It is the same on the B string first semitone is C. You need to understand sharps and flats. Justin has a good
lesson here. http://www.justinguitar.com/en/TB-006-NoteCircle.php

PS I just read the same question in another thread. Please don't double post.

skate

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2012, 11:03:12 pm »

Rule five: why the strange note sequence; what is the logic behind it? When you say play a G after the C, should that be a higher or lower G? I don't get the sequence layout as in how to choose the notes the way it is expected.

I don't know if anyone answered this question directly, but I think I've found the answer.  I too am just beginning to learn the guitar, and was also wondering about this, so I wrote down the frets in the order I had to hit them (disregarding the string for now) and found this nice little pattern emerge:

C     G     D     A     E     B     F
3     3               
10   10   10            
5     5     5     5         
1    12   12   12    12      
8     8     7     7     7     7   
       3     3     2     2     2     1
             10   10    9     9     8
                    5     5     4     3
                          12   12   10
                                 7     6
Hopefully the reason for the odd note sequence shows up here.

It helped me out quite a bit.  Maybe it'll help someone else.

Offline Andreas Fischer

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
    • Andreas Fischer - private Website
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2013, 04:09:33 am »
I have 2 questions about this lesson and i am sure i am doing it wrong right now

first:
in the description is written : "Start by playing C on the 6th string (8th fret) then on the 5th string (3rd fret) then on 4th string (10th fret) and so on up to the 1st string and back down to the 6th. Then go on to the next note (F) and do the same thing.

Why the next note would be "F"? The Next would be either "C"
or i i follow the following rule no. 5 it would be "G"? wouldnt it?

second:

right now i practise "C" , i started with a speed of 30 bpm and now am at 90 bpm
should i practise "C" untill i can play all the C`s" at 160 bpm
and than start with  all "G`S" ...
than all "D`S"... this way i learn all the patterns

or should i play all "C", than all "G" than all "D" ... all in a row? that wopuld be really difficult but this way i really would memorize where to find which note, wouldnt i?

it would be great if there would be clearer instructions of this important exercise
Andreas Fischer
21. Oct. 2012: Just got a Fender Squier Affinity Strat after 25 Years not playing Guitar. It is my first E-Guitar.
Update; Now i have more than a Dozen Guitars

joshs

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2013, 07:38:05 am »
Question 1: Don't get to hung up on the note order. Use rule #5 as a guide. That's probably a typo in the intro... You might also try flash cards to randomly choose

Question 2: Do all of the notes at least once every time! Right in a row. Once you finish playing the last C, play the first G.

There are lots of methods to do this kind of practice and this is definitely a good one. I also made a video about this sort of thing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqFURpBtF6w

So have many others, so shop around and find the tricks you like.

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 399
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2013, 12:27:53 pm »
Then go on to the next note (F) and do the same thing.

This means, after you have completed the exercise of finding and playing the C notes on all 6 strings up and down ...

repeat but with another note ... namely the note F

on 6th string at fret 1
on 5th string at fret 8
etc
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 06:32:41 am by close2u »

GuitarGirl2013

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2013, 03:56:03 am »
It all comes with practice!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Grunties

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2014, 07:04:26 pm »
http://www.justinguitar.com/en/TB-007-NotesOnNeck.php

Dead link; cannot find this lesson in the new structure.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App