Author Topic: TB-007 • How To Find All The Notes On The Neck  (Read 58255 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 151
    • justinguitar.com
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 05:26:48 pm by justinguitar »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Machmood

Re: TB-007 • How To Find All The Notes On The Neck
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 07:29:06 pm »
 One question about this also. I was wondering is there is a specific way of remembering of a patter to find the notes quicker? Basically what I do is If I start with C I play the C on the 6th string, then I know the 5th open string is A and just "count"down the frets till I hit the C and so on and so on. Is this how to do it or is there a faster way to memorize and know where the notes are

Geoff Vane

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 12:56:42 pm »
Questions:

Rule two: use the same finger.
Where, on the neck or when plucking?

Rule five: why the strange note sequence; what is the logic behind it? When you say play a G after the C, should that be a higher or lower G? I don't get the sequence layout as in how to choose the notes the way it is expected.

JimLad

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 02:40:21 pm »
Questions:

Rule two: use the same finger.
Where, on the neck or when plucking?

Rule five: why the strange note sequence; what is the logic behind it? When you say play a G after the C, should that be a higher or lower G? I don't get the sequence layout as in how to choose the notes the way it is expected.

1: on the neck

2: you're supposed to play all the Cs between the 1st and 12th frets (inclusive) starting on the sixth string (so it'll be 8th fret 6th string, 3rd fret 5th string, 10th fret 4th string etc etc).  you then move onto the next note and do the same (your first G will be 3rd fret 6th string, then the next will be 10th fret 5th string etc).  so you end up having played 1 c per string, 1 g per string, 1 d per string and so on.

Offline PattheBunny

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 04:16:41 pm »
I am working on this but doing it a little differently.  I find that if I just pick the string once and move on, there isn't enough time for my brain to make the connection to place.  But if I pluck it several times and just wait to move to the next string, it's easier to remember where to go.  It's that time slow down thing again.  Sigh.

Pat
Realism is relative.

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 02:49:15 pm »
Questions:
Rule five: why the strange note sequence; what is the logic behind it?

The note order is in the sequence of key signatures with increasing numbers of sharps. I understand where the key signatures come from but I don't understand the logic for using this particular sequence here. I doubt it's a coincidence, though.

Andy

Misguided Ghost

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 03:34:58 pm »
I don't understand any of this....

It pretty much lost me where it said don't play any of the strings open.... how am I supposed to play the string then?? I feel really dumb right now.... really really dumb because I don't understand this or the note circle. Am I missing a valuable step before these????

Offline Bootstrap

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
  • Never yield.
    • The Tale Of Bootstrap
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 04:36:06 pm »
Hey MG - all this lesson is trying to do is encourage you to learn where all the notes are.

You may have already worked out that the strings played open are E, A, D, G, B & E (sometimes referred to as little e) - when you press a fret anywhere along the neck on any of these strings you are playing a note - in fact any of the 12 semitones that exist ie C, C#, D, D#, E, F, F#, G, G#, A, A#, B. As an example if you press the 1st fret of the 6th string you are playing F, the 2nd fret F#, the 3rd fret G and so on....

Note there is no sharp (or flat) between E & F or B & C as the distance between those notes is just one semitone as opposed to a full tone (2 semitones) gap between the other notes - 2 other things to understand..... 1) Each sharp has an equal corresponding flat eg A# = Bb or D# = Eb etc and 2) each fret on the neck of your guitar = 1 semitone.

Try Googling a free app called Fret Warrior which is a fun way to learn where all the notes are (there are others but their names escape me at the moment).

Hope that helps - seek clarification if it doesn't.

Cheers, Boots :)
The best guitar is the one you have in your hands
Road Case last update 11 Mar 2012

Misguided Ghost

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 05:33:55 pm »
Thanks for that, I understand a little more now. I will definitely check out that app. I just feel like before I get into more lessons, I'm at Anchoring, I should work on finger strength and get more acquainted with the fret board.

Offline perfopt

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 01:57:54 pm »
At what stage should I try learning how to find notes on the neck? I mean after completing what stage of the beginner course?

Offline Bootstrap

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
  • Never yield.
    • The Tale Of Bootstrap
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 02:25:37 pm »
It will take a while - so the sooner you start the better!

K Reyn

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 02:14:54 am »
When performing this lesson is it best to start with C and work at it till you get to 160 bpm? Or should you progress as fast as you can then move onto G? Right now I can do the C lesson at 120 bpm.

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 01:17:36 pm »
When performing this lesson is it best to start with C and work at it till you get to 160 bpm? Or should you progress as fast as you can then move onto G? Right now I can do the C lesson at 120 bpm.

Hello and welcome :)

As I understand it, the idea is to get all the 'C's at a slow speed (60 BPM), then follow up with the 'G's at the same speed. Once you can do all the 'C's and 'G's, you add the 'D's, etc.

So initially you would do:

C C C C C C

Then:

C C C C C C G G G G G G

Then:

C C C C C C G G G G G G D D D D D D

Once you get to

C C C C C C G G G G G G D D D D D D A A A A A A E E E E E E B B B B B B F F F F F F

*then* start upping the speed.

HTH

Andy

Offline perfopt

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 03:53:49 pm »
I am having trouble with this lesson.

I can play all Cs, Gs, Ds, As, Es, Bs, and Fs.

My problem is:
1. I have to follow the order from the top of the neck. I cannot find a note on a randomly chosen fret
2. My speed is slow. I have been practicing for 2 weeks now and I cant even get to 40 (the slowest speed on the metronome)

Any tips to improve speed?

Offline Bootstrap

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
  • Never yield.
    • The Tale Of Bootstrap
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 10:49:20 pm »
Perfect - look for patterns - hint - G & C are at the 3rd fret 6th & 5th string respectively..... Now look at the 4th & 3rd string at the 5th fret..... see some pattern? The other thing is use pneumonics at the dot frets - make up your own - also note the top 4 strings at the 7th fret spell BEAD.... Draw up a fret board and put the notes down and you will see all sorts of things you can use to memorize where the notes are.

Then Google a program like Fret Warrior and practice.

Happy hunting :)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App