Author Topic: TB-004 • How To Change Acoustic Guitar Strings  (Read 42182 times)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: TB-004 • How To Change Acoustic Guitar Strings
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2013, 08:43:20 pm »
shweta

what guitar is it?

what type of strings does it have (steel or nylon)?

NOTE:
do not put steel strings on a classical / spanish style guitar if that is what you have

Offline Shweta

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2013, 02:45:16 pm »
Hi. Here are the photos of the bent string and the bridge.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 03:29:38 pm by Shweta »

Online stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 247
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2013, 04:06:10 pm »
Did your guitar come with steel string? If it came with nylon you should put nylon string back on.
(edit)  I just looked  up your guitar and it does take steel strings.

The bend look like it is far enough down the string that it won't be a problem. If it does break you can
buy one string at your local guitar store.

Offline Shweta

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2013, 07:45:03 am »
Thanks stitch. Yes, I bought the guitar with steel string.

You must've also noticed that the tuners in this are different from the ones used in Justin's lesson. I guess that's why I couldn't manage to do this. Is it possible to get help with changing the string for my kind of guitar on this forum/website? Or if you know any other website that's already done a video, that'll be useful too.

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2013, 11:21:36 am »
This video seems pretty good:

Direct: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa7FG1dh6Ck

Offline paul59539

• Good Vibes 0
    • http://ny.pe
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2013, 03:46:31 am »
Thank you Justin, i can try this one now, so i will not depend on others changing my strings.
newbielink:http://ny.pe [nonactive]

Offline sayworth

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2014, 04:24:00 pm »
How often should I change my strings?

Only when they break?

I've had elixers on my guitar for a few years... but didn't play it much... only started on Justin's lessons recently.  I can see places where the coating is coming off, especially on the low e string.

I was told at the music store that if they've been on that long I should definitely change them, but I would have thought it depends on how many hours they've been played.  Is there a rule of thumb?

Thanks in advance

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2014, 04:36:24 pm »
They are metal.
Metal corrodes whether played or not.
Change them.
Absolutely definitely change them.
Acoustic - about every 4 weeks with heavy play-time, about every 8 weeks otherwise.
Loosen this restriction if you are hard up for cash.

Offline sayworth

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2014, 06:43:20 pm »
Wow, that's a lot....  What if they are the coated elixer strings...  would you double that time?

I'll being picking up some new strings today
Thanks!

Online stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 247
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2014, 07:03:32 pm »
I use Elixir coated strings and play a lot at least an hour a day some times up to 6 hrs and they last they
last me 3 to 4 months. When Elixir strings they go dead they go dead quite quickly and are hard to keep
in tune. So if you haven't played your guitar much in the last couple of year your strings are probably still
good. If you are having trouble tuning them they need changing.

Offline mouser9169

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2014, 01:24:02 pm »
Wow, that's a lot....  What if they are the coated elixer strings...  would you double that time?

I'll being picking up some new strings today
Thanks!

I haven't used coated strings so can't answer to that, but yeah, we need to change our strings pretty often. For the price of the coated ones I'd hope they last at least that long.

Bass players have it lucky there. They can keep the same strings for years: James Jamerson never changed his bass strings - he tried a new set once, didn't like it, and put the old ones back on (yes, you can do that with bass strings - many players keep their last set as a 'spare').

I change mine once a month. That's a compromise between 'what I can afford' and 'when the strings die'. I buy them in 12 packs, saves me a good chunk of cash (knocks it from $12-14 down to about $10 a set - obviously the numbers depend on what strings you're using). If you've only got one guitar, you may not want to outlay that much cash at once.

One simple thing I do that I don't see mentioned often (maybe it's common sense?): wash your hands before you start playing. That will take a lot of sweat and acid and 'stuff' off your finger so it doesn't get on the strings. If I were playing and noticed my hands/fingers getting sweaty I'd get up and wash them again. Seems to work for me, anyway.
Mouser's Rules of Music:

1) Always Trust your Muse.
2) See Rule 1)

Offline Macabre

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2014, 10:29:35 am »
I've been changing my strings once a month, but mainly because I like to try out different brands of strings, rather than noticing a change in playability.
I currently have D'Addario phosphor bronze coated strings on, which I'll certainly keep on double the time to normal. They still sound good and stay in tune a lot better than my previous strings (which were funnily enough also D'Addario phosophor bronzes, but on a different guitar I've since sold).

Can't decide on some Ernie Ball regular slinky phosphor 12s or D'Addario 80/20 coated 12s next. My guitar came with the D'Addario phosophor bronze 12s on from the factory (which I changed a few weeks after just because I did't know how long they were on there for in the shop), and I really like the way they play on my guitar. The Ernie Balls,  the 5A & 6E are 44 & 54 gauge, whereas the D'Addario are 42 & 53. So don't know how this will affect the setup. Probably won't make much difference. I guess I'll soon find out.

One thing I would say though is to make a note of when you change your strings, what brand/gauge you are using and what your first thoughts of them are. Kind of a "string diary" that way it will help you remember what you liked best and what didn't sound quite right etc.
Seagull Original S6 & Washburn EAT12 
Fender Standard Telecaster with Mustang 1 v2 amp
La Patrie Etude

Offline pipsickle

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 17
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2014, 12:34:49 pm »
A little bit late on this, but in my (albeit limited) experience - coated strings do make a big difference to longevity. I got my guitar in September last year with D'Addario EXP16s which I changed after about 5 months and again a couple of weeks ago. Each time I've changed it's because the strings had changed colour (dulled/darkened) where I strum compared to up at the bridge. Admittedly, I've played quite a lot in the last fortnight, but I can already see that the Martin M540s I've put on have started to discolour - although this time it's around where I fret the strings. Anyway I'll keep 'em on for another couple of weeks, but I've definitely noticed a big difference in their wear.

Offline rajvignesh95

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2014, 06:29:57 pm »
I'm new to guitars and I cut one of the strings trying to tune it. I put a new one in and its touching one of the tuners. Is this okay?

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2014, 08:30:57 pm »
What exactly is touching the tuner? I'm having trouble picturing it.

Offline rajvignesh95

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2014, 04:26:20 am »
@bradt.. One of the strings is.. To be exact :The g string from its tuner is touching the tuner for the b string and then Goes to the nut and so on.. Is this a problem?

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2014, 04:43:25 am »
Sounds like maybe you wound it around the post backwards, so it is now too close to the B string post.

The string should wrap from the inside of the post not the outside.  See how the strings all are wrapped from the inside out.

http://www.edroman.com/detail_sheets/images/gibson_lespaulstudio_ebony_headstock.jpg

If the g string was wrapped to the outside it could touch the b string post.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App