Author Topic: TB-004 • How To Change Acoustic Guitar Strings  (Read 42216 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 05:33:46 pm by justinguitar »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

septerra

Re: TB-004 • How To Change Acoustic Guitar Strings
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 09:43:33 am »

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/88/183429.jpg/

Ive only started learning guitars very recently and need help with changing strings. Ive got a 'Granada PRS-1 39'' Acoustic Steel String Guitar', and have attached an image to help. The problem is, the bridge on my guitar is different from all the videos on youtube that showcase changing strings. I hope someone can help me by directing me to an appropriate link or a video on how to change strings on this model.

Thanks in advance and apologies for the noob question.

Offline Bootstrap

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
  • Never yield.
    • The Tale Of Bootstrap
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 12:58:37 pm »
Dude, your guitar is actually easier to change strings on than the majority of acoustics.

All you need to do is release the tension on the string, cut it, pull the ball end of the string out from the bridge then pull the other end from the tuning peg.

Thread the new string through the bridge till the ball end comes hard up against the bridge and follow Justin's video for threading the string through the tuning peg and winding it on.
The best guitar is the one you have in your hands
Road Case last update 11 Mar 2012

septerra

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 12:45:44 pm »
Thanks a lot mate.. I dint think it would actually be that easy.

Thanks again.

Offline Kh1967

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 11:41:45 pm »
Hi,

I was not sure where to put this post, so forgive me if I am in the wrong spot?

Is there any chance this video can be re-recorded with better video quality? The content is awesome, but it is hard to see the detail?

Also, is there any chance this lesson can also be done with an open headstock?

Thanks!

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 05:02:26 pm »
Hello and welcome :)

I'm not Justin, but from what he tells us he's working on, I don't think he has plans to re-do this video in the near future. Is there anything in particular we can help you with?

Do you have a nylon string guitar with an open headstock? If so, there are different things to need to know when changing strings. This Youtube video looks OK on a quick check, but there are loads of others.

Andy
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 07:33:47 am by close2u »

Fujisawa Rob

Doh! Newbie Mistake - Mis-strung
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 05:12:19 pm »
Well, I was distracted and accidentally wound string #3 onto the peg for string #1!  :(  Needless to say, this messed things up a bit since I'd already cut it and there was no way it was going to reach the proper peg.  In my defense, the kids were noisy in the background.  This is especially irksome as these were brand new DR 'Rare' strings that I was really looking forward to playing.  I think they'll be ok for practice. String #2 is on the correct peg, and doesn't actually hit #3.  #1 is the worst, it's running along the outside of the other pegs.  Please tell me I'm not the first one to do this!

Thanks for listening! Lesson learned.

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 06:00:19 pm »
You're not (Metallica can be equally distracting, esp the Black Album). But you might be the first to leave his guitar like this and tries to play it :))

Fujisawa Rob

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 06:14:48 pm »
You're not (Metallica can be equally distracting, esp the Black Album). But you might be the first to leave his guitar like this and tries to play it :))

I don't have any other strings :)  It plays fine actually, other than a fret buzz on string #3, but that's because the cheap plastic nut and bridge are worn in that spot and that string sits slightly lower.

godamajin

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 04:59:12 pm »
I have a Granada Acoustic Guitar model W 115. I am beginning to feel the vibrating sync when I am close to being tuned up. I have a question with respect to the hardware in front of the bridge toward the neck of the guitar. My model has a turning screw on either side that looks like it raises the height of the string. Should this be adjusted or simply ignored. What impact would it have for the beginner. I assume a beginner would do better with lower strings requiring less finger strength?

Thanks for you help and the wonderful site. I will include you in my credits when I master and rule the rock world.....

GratefulJWB

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 05:06:59 am »
Have any of you ever experienced fret buzz after changing strings?  I have a Alvarez-Yairi DY38, and removed all the strings so I could give the fingerboard a proper cleaning prior to replacing the strings.  In the past I have changed the strings one at a time.  They were off for less than an hour.  Must have been enough to alter the neck slightly, as I now have a buzz on the "d" string.  It is diminishing now after several hours, and I'm hoping will be gone by morning.   Now it is only apparent when strummed hard.  I bought the guitar used, so I'm unaware if it's ever had a proper setup.  Might be time.

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2011, 08:34:25 am »
Yes, this has happened to me (or rather my guitar) as well. Usually the problem goes away after a while, but once or twice I had to adjust the truss rod a little.

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2011, 01:19:49 pm »
I've noticed that too.  The new strings are all bouncy and buzzy.  But I purposely have my action on my acoustic set as low as possible and live with a bit of buzz when I bang it hard.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

GratefulJWB

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2011, 03:52:44 pm »
Yes, this has happened to me (or rather my guitar) as well. Usually the problem goes away after a while, but once or twice I had to adjust the truss rod a little.

I had never had this problem when changing the strings just one at a time and was just concerned.  A former guitar teacher showed me how to make minor adjustments to the truss rod, but I'd rather leave that to the professionals.

GuitarGirl2013

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2013, 02:48:21 am »
My D A and E strings sound really dull and my d string sounds like hell. My tuner says its tuned but it sounds bad. I used Justin's trick of running my finger nail under one of the thinner strings and it is really dirty. I am leaving for vacation and I want to take this guitar with me and I don't have time to ask my teacher to change them. Is this something I want to do myself or wait and what do I clean my fret broad and polish the frets with?

Thanks in advance and I have been playing for a year and a half and have had my strings changed at least every 6 months.

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 249
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2013, 03:25:55 am »
Justin has a good video on changing your strings. It's not hard and something every guitar player should
know. To clean your fret board mild soap and water and an old t-shirt or soft rag will get the grim off.
You can buy fret cleaner but it's basically mild soap and water. 

What kind of guitar do you have? Changing the strings on an acoustic and Electric is a little different.

GuitarGirl2013

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2013, 12:02:50 pm »
I have a fender acoustic and it works just like Justin's. what strings do you recommend? I've had fender strings twice before and hated the sound they gave me and strings I have on right now Martin acoustic custom light. I like the way they sounded but I am thinking of trying something new.   

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 249
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2013, 03:46:45 pm »
I personally use Elixirs http://www.elixirstrings.com/ But they are not cheap. I've used Black Diamond
strings and really liked the sound but they didn't last very long only a couple of weeks. I play between
10 and 30 hours a week so for some one who plays around 10 hrs a week they may last a month or more.

Ernie Ball make good acoustic strings and there are lots of people on the forum that use the Martin strings.
Strings are a personal thing so I'd talk to your local music store or your teacher and tell them what sound
your looking for.
If you like the Martin custom lights but want to try something different I'd stick to a light or custom light
gauge to compare the sound and feel.

GuitarGirl2013

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2013, 04:07:57 pm »
Thanks Stitch!

GuitarGirl2013

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2013, 04:22:40 am »
I am so stupid I can change my own strings. i broke one and i thought i was doing good but i guess not. I feel like crying

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 249
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2013, 04:32:28 am »
Don't feel bad you most likely tuned it on octave to high. Not a big deal for your first time. Your local music
store should sell single strings so you can fix the broken string without buying a whole new set.

Look at the bright side you got 5 out of 6 the first time next time you'll get 100%. All part of the learning
curve.

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2013, 06:51:13 am »
Agreed. It's a rite of passage. The only strings I broke so far were in the beginning during string change, stretching the strings. It's like everything else: it needs practice.

You can also buy single strings online, but watch the price.

GuitarGirl2013

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2013, 02:54:13 am »
Thanks and you know next time i will get them all.

Offline Shweta

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2013, 04:44:18 pm »
Hi, I'm a complete novice who is learning to play guitar thanks to this website. I recently broke a string of my guitar and tried to replace it myself watching TB-004. Unfortunately, I haven't had much luck with it 'cause my guitar looks different from the one shown in the video and of course I'm doing this for the first time. I just wanted to know if in my attempt to get this done on my own, is it a problem if the new string bends in various places?

Thanks in advance. 

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 249
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2013, 06:06:17 pm »
If you bent your string it may break when you bring it up to pitch.
Can you post some pictures of the string and the bridge on your guitar

Get The Forum As A Mobile App