Author Topic: No guitar for 3 weeks!  (Read 2681 times)

Offline richard91

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 0
  • -PINK FLOYD-
No guitar for 3 weeks!
« on: July 01, 2008, 02:28:14 pm »
Hey guys  :)

Im off on holiday next friday for 3 weeks. There is one concern; should I slacken the strings on my stratocaster for the whole period or will the guitar be ok ???
Cheers, Richard

kramonisac

Re: No guitar for 3 weeks!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 03:16:57 pm »
Just make sure it's in its case and is in a locked room or something. The strings aren't gonna snap by itself out of the blue, I'm sure. ;)

Or if you're paranoid about your guitar just booby trap your room and put it in a case made of depleted uranium.

Offline richard91

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 0
  • -PINK FLOYD-
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 04:08:13 pm »
Or if you're paranoid about your guitar just booby trap your room and put it in a case made of depleted uranium.

:D  :D  Maybe I'm being a little too  paranoid  :D

Daniel_G

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 09:27:23 pm »
Hey guys  :)

Im off on holiday next friday for 3 weeks. There is one concern; should I slacken the strings on my stratocaster for the whole period or will the guitar be ok ???
Cheers, Richard

Please tell me you're kidding...
If you take the tension off the neck, what do you think will happen ?
*hint : it won't be good*

jwenting

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 05:13:06 am »
that guitar is shipped under tension (and usually reasonably well in tune) from the factory for a reason...
And it may be under tension in some showroom or warehouse for months or even years before someone buys it.

If that were bad for it, they'd not ship it like that.

Offline DeadlyChicken

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 22
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 06:22:19 am »
I have heard people suggest that you should loosen strings if your guitar is going into storage for long periods, I don't really know the reason behind it tho ?

and I would assume that they would not be totally slack but just a little looser than tuned ? but I dunno.  I have heard of people suggest it tho.
Gear:~
Electric
Epiphone Les Paul Std, Fender MIM Strat, Gherson SG copy
Amps
Roland Cube 30X, V Amp pro, Marshall DSL401
Acoustic
Ashton SL29CEQ, Fender Malibu SCE
FX
TU-2, crybaby JH-1b, DS-2, EH Stereo Memory Man w Hazarai

jwenting

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 08:40:01 am »
If environmental conditions can vary wildly in the storage space, or it's liable to be tossed around a lot (like when shipping a single instrument) you should loosen the strings a bit.
If you don't the tension may become too much due to expansion of the instrument due to temperatur changes, or the stress may be impossible to find relief when something causes a hard bump into the instrument, either can cause cracks and breaking.

But if it's just going to be sitting there in your living room for a few weeks, it's no problem (and if you keep the curtains drawn and/or the airco or heating set to provide a more or less stable temperature that's even better).
You don't loosen the strings every morning when you go to work, do you?
Same thing.

Offline richard91

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 0
  • -PINK FLOYD-
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 09:22:53 am »
Thanks guys,

I have heard people suggest that you should loosen strings if your guitar is going into storage for long periods,

thats what I heard, but I was unsure to belive it, anyway, I realise it is kind of silly loosening the strings when it spends its life under tension!!  :D

Fuzzel

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 08:17:49 pm »
If you take the tension off the neck, what do you think will happen ?
*hint : it won't be good*
Actually I'm prtty sure nothing would happen, guitars are made without any tension on the neckm strings are only put on as the very last stage of production and the strings are always removed for repairs. There are lots of storys flying about the internet about how removing all the strings at once will damage the guitar but its generally accepted that they're nothing but old wives tales. 3 weeks is a longer time period but I still doubt loosening them would do any harm, but it won't do any good either so why bother?

Big Machines

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 10:44:17 pm »
There will nothing happen in just 3 weeks, and I think you even should let them up there, and give them a good tune or change them when you come back, but I would not take of the strings, unlast it's for a couple of years.. I've heard story's about guitars that where stored for 20 years, and the neck just broke for warmth-cold changes...

I just actually have no really idea what's best, but I'm completly shure there will happen nothing in those 3 weeks

grahamzz1

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 09:25:57 pm »
Not playing for a week or two, kind of freshens things up a bit... not sure about three weeks though!

;)

(Enjoy)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App