Author Topic: Guitar Frustration  (Read 2014 times)

cheesus

Guitar Frustration
« on: July 01, 2008, 08:36:59 am »
Trying to learn The Cream Tune Cross Roads, pretty much been trying to learn it for ages, can play most of it okay exept for the little turn around solo thingy, can't really get the timing right especially with alternate picking, starting to get damn frustrating ! Please tell me I am not the only one out there ..

jwenting

Re: Guitar Frustration
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 10:19:13 am »
Either you're lacking basic skills, or you're hitting a block.
It happens to everyone.
As my teacher says: if you get frustrated, think about whether you are a quitter or a guitarist?
Perseverence, improving your technique, and a PROPER exercise regime will get you there.
Don't just keep repeating it in the hope that you'll get there at some point. Analyse what you're doing wrong and rectify that separately.

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 154
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 01:51:17 pm »
it's not an easy song ... can you describe for us how you see your skill level? how long do you play? what kind of songs can you play?

ambition is great.. realism is a help
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

aging_bimbo

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 02:26:05 pm »
Don't just keep repeating it in the hope that you'll get there at some point. Analyse what you're doing wrong and rectify that separately.

Think that's the key. Find the exact spot where you start to go wrong, and try and see why. Practise that bit really slowly. Practise that bit doing the right hand and the left hand separately. And then play the whole thing again and instead of thinking to yourself "oh, now I'm coming up to the bit that I always screw up" and getting really tense about it, think "well, I'm coming to the bit that I always screw up but hey, so what?".

cheesus

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 03:08:35 pm »
I'd like to see myself as intermediate, but finding it difficult when coming to speeding up the licks

bananajoe

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 03:13:07 pm »
Good tips so far. Currently working on some Clapton licks and I noticed that he's often using
economy picking instead of alternate. So eg when he's playing a note on the g-string with a
downpick and the next note is on the b-string he's playing a downpick, too.

DaSilvaRenegade

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 06:11:10 pm »
no ur not the only one who has issues with this song. i never really notice anyone using economy picking except Michael Angel Batio. I think its a very good technique for getting fast but it throws alot of ppls timing off

Get The Forum As A Mobile App