Author Topic: REVIEWS of Master The Major Scale  (Read 10125 times)

Offline groovebassgurl

• Positive Vibrations: 0
REVIEWS of Master The Major Scale
« on: March 10, 2008, 03:46:02 am »
Hey Justin,

I'm on Lesson 7 and so far think the DVD is fantastic. 

Thank you for demystifying scales for me...

Bass has been my main instrument for over 10 years but at at the same time I played around a little on guitar.  For this entire time, I've always found scales to be BORING so I never really stuck to them.  I just couldn't get myself to play them up and down on a regular basis.  And I couldn't figure out how to apply them to songs.

Thanks to your DVD I finally get it!  My improvising has improved by 100%.  On guitar AND bass!!  In the past, when I jammed and improvised with my band and other musicians, I used to find myself falling back in to the same patterns, mostly pentatonic riffs. 

My improv has gotten so much more melodic since I started working on the melodic patterns, combining positions and working out the chord tones.   And I find the exercises so much more fun than just playing the scales up and down.

Thank you for breaking it down and really simplifying everything to do with scales.  I look forward to finishing the CD.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Liz     ;D

Liz

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 108
    • justinguitar.com
Re: Loving the DVD! Worth every penny..
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 04:46:13 pm »
Cheers Liz

Glad that it helping you and making sense of the scales :)

Good luck and take care, J
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline JJ1990

Re: REVIEWS of Master The Major Scale
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 01:05:46 pm »
Hi Justin,

Just bought your DVD recently and the delivery was in time ! I only had two problems with the DVD ( not with the content on the DVD, but the DVD itself ).

First of all my laptop has a DVD slide rather then one that pops up out of my laptop. As a consequence of this, my laptop doesn't pick up the DVD half of the time. I never had this problem with other products of this website, so that's a pity  :-\

On other computers, and my normal DVD player it works fine, but I just like watching it on my own laptop, because that normally works best for me.

Secondly all my DVD players read the DVD as more than 2 hours, while the DVD is about 20 minutes shorter. As a consequence of this I cannot select exactly where to go on the DVD. For example if I work on my laptop and slide the "time progress bar" to a point where a want to watch it just pops back and doesn't work because the time measure is incorrect. Again I only experienced this problem with this DVD and not with other products from this website.

Well that's all I got to say about my criticism, because the actual lesson material on this DVD is gold! I completed the whole DVD and my improvising skills have just increased enormously! Even my own guitar teacher was astounded when I returned to him after my vacation. The lesson method is very thourough and detailed, which makes it really easy to follow. It slowly builds up, so that every level guitar player can understand the whole DVD.

All I wanna say is thank you, and for everyone buying this DVD, take your time with it! Don't rush through the DVD in a day, because the learning benefits are way better if you just do it slowly!

JJ

Offline tubes2bits

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 08:31:16 pm »
Just wanted to let everyone know that this DVD is super!  If you are just thinking about getting it, stop. Just buy it!!!

Also wanted to thank Justin and Jedi for their efforts and great work.

Offline normanramsey

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 04:47:34 pm »
This is the best product I've ever bought for learning on guitar and I have bought a lot since I live in a small town where there aren't many opportunities to learn these things. This DVD will help you very much. I was going to buy the Intermediate foundation DVD's but after seeing about it I think that I learnt most of it from this DVD already so I'm just waiting on the style modules.

Thank you Justin.

Offline mattywarr

• Pub Night Playa
  • Positive Vibrations: 2
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 03:19:59 pm »
I've had this DVD and have been using it for a few months now, and I wanted to post somewhere just how effective this DVD course is.

So far, I'm at the stage where I am memorising Pattern 3, but due to the techniques being taught (For example, highlighting the chord tones and root notes) I have already worked out how I can change the key of the major scale just by moving the root note of the position. I have to say, that was one of those "Eureka" moments. I've already been sneakily doing it in position 1 and 2 to prove to myself I know the position!

Learning this, alongside the Practical Music Theory is teaching me things I didn't even want to learn when I first started the beginners course. Now I am actually excited to get home from work and get practising them and learning how music is made. I think the key elements to the course are the melodic pattern studies and the exploring the position methods, which INSTANTLY make the boring subject of learning scales, sound cool.

I'm only halfway through and I can say with 100% confidence that this is one of the best investments I've ever made.

(Although saying that, maybe by the end Justin gets caught by the fuzz and the DVD ends abruptly :-D Once you watch it, you'll understand, and its just another reason why Justin's laid back style works so well - it was like he was sat in my front room)
Walden D560 Acoustic
Ibanez Talman TCM50E Electro Acoustic
Fender Standard Stratocaster (MIM) Black w/Maple Neck
Vox Valvetronix VT15
My YouTube Channel

Offline komani86

• Arena Rocker
  • Positive Vibrations: 6
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 07:22:16 pm »
I would like to add my (ahort) review about this DVD.
It is indeed an effective course, but it is aimed at beginners. Alot of the stuff Justin describes I figured out 'by my self' with the help of the text that is available on Justins website.

He takes you step by step, without rushing, which is good, but if you allready experimented on your own you can skip certain parts. I didn't skip the DVD yet though and learned from his tips and such during the videos. It really helps that Justin breaks the parts down and gives you a goal after each part.

I was halfway through the DVD (Gotta start at lesson 5) and then I just stopped with it, but I plan to complete the DVD soon. Oddly I can not use the timebar propely, it randomly skips if I try to skip something. I can skip chapters properly though.

Offline Mistermann

• School Prom Hero
  • Positive Vibrations: 1
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 05:56:34 pm »
I just wanted to add my opinion to this review thread.  I have been playing guitar for about 3 years now.  Probably not your typical guitar student.  I have been one of those guys that always yearned to play guitar and never really knew how to get into it.  After a certain age, it becomes harder to simply pickup new things and admit you “need help” achieving your goals and dreams.  I was 43 at the time and with the encouragement of some key people in my life decided to take the plunge and learn this wonderful instrument. 

I signed up for instruction at a local shop and found some great free internet instruction.  Thankfully Justin was one of those “virtual” instructors.  Over the years I have developed the ability to play many different songs and am fairly comfortable picking up the guitar and making it sound nice.  I suppose this is where many people stop progressing.  Yeah, I can watch the various youtube lessons and mimic the instructions reasonably well, but somehow that feels hollow to me.  It was always a goal of mine to understand HOW to solo and make those melodic runs over someone’s rhythm playing.  I knew from my education (internet mostly), that soloing was based on scales.  Over the years, I had worked on learning the Minor Pentatonic scale but knowing a scale is much different than knowing HOW to leverage it.  That’s what I was lacking … a mental understanding of HOW to use a scale – not just using a scale but how to master it.  Before this DVD a scale was just a bunch of notes played in a certain sequence.  It felt rote, robotic and completely unmusical.  Logically I knew I was learning the basis of soloing, but just couldn’t transition from the “box” to something musical.

My epiphany moment came pretty early on in this DVD.  Maybe it was the way Justin presented the concepts, I don’t know.  I have been a fan/supporter of Justin for 3 years+ and grown accustomed to his style and learning principals.  Regardless, I’ve seen the light here.  The first time he plays against the backing track and goes from playing the straight G-Major scale into improvised music was the moment my brain “got it”.  That ah-ha moment was awesome and I wish I had started scale exercises much earlier in my journey.  I feel I am picking things up pretty quick given my experience coming into this however.  Regardless, I just wanted to say this DVD is excellent and if you’re looking to understand the basics and basis of improvisational soloing, I’d say this is a great place to start.

Justin a big thanks to you!  I know the course material mentions a second DVD might be coming and I hope to be in a position to need it by the time it is released!   :D

Also for anyone wondering about downloading the ISO, that’s what I did instead of ordering the physical disk.  I had no problems and was watching the content minutes after entering my credit card information.  Justin/Jedi, thanks for making that a distribution option!

-mm

mm