Author Topic: question: soloing over chord changes..  (Read 1629 times)

Offline evilchrist213

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Positive Vibrations: 0
question: soloing over chord changes..
« on: October 06, 2007, 09:16:08 am »
if im playing G Major scale,using a backing track which uses chord progression G-Bm-C-D,what should i do if after the backing track change to Bm,do i have to still play( solo) in G major or change it to D, C or Em scale accordingly? is it necessary that after the backing track play the chord C,is it necessary that the solo also end in note C?PLS POST VIDEO for this,a step a step method on how to use the scale in every chord progression,or what to do to the scale when the chord changes,tnx  :D
m just a poor cute guy..

Offline aging_bimbo

• Arena Rocker
  • Positive Vibrations: 2
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 01:08:28 am »
I think you will just keep on with the G major scale. This thread here might help you:

http://www.justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=5129

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 77
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 09:50:33 pm »
oeh yeah, one of the TB-AV masterpieces.. he's one of the greatest on this forum!

Offline Quark

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 1
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 10:12:44 pm »
Second that!!

W

Offline TB-AV

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 245
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 03:02:09 pm »
Try this. Learn the G Scale in one position. Learn every note or at least where the G B C and D are.

Over the G start your solo on the G note and no it doesn't have to end on the G note.
Over the Bm start your solo on the B note and it doesn't have to end on B
Over the C start your solo on the C note and it doesn't have to end on C
Over the D start you solo on the D note and it doesn't have to end on D

USE ONLY THE NOTES FROM THE G SCALE - Don't change scales.  G Scale = G A B C D E F#

I'll make up a solo. 4/4 time one bar of each chord

G Chord---Bm Chord--------------------------------------------------------------------- C Chord--D Chord--| G Chord
G A F# G | B- D BD B ( do this B D part as mostly a hammer on type thing )| C C E G | D E F F# | G ~~~~~~~

OK, the first bar just basically hangs out on G
The second bar defines the B and uses a minor 3 with the D note since you have Bm chord.
The third bar just spells out the C Chord which is C E G ( 1 3 5 )
The fourth bar simply starts on the D and walks up to the 7th of the Root Key note G which makes things sound like they want resolve.
The last bar I added to resolve back to G.

No notes were used other than the G Scale. You could play that whole thing in 5 frets and 2 strings if you wanted. It might not sound great but it shouldn't sound horribly wrong either.

Try that and change notes and durations as you like. Remember music has "rests" also. And whole notes.

Here is an example
G~~~~
B~~~~
C~~~~
D~~~~

Play that over your chords and you can rest assured, you played in key and hit no wrong notes.

TB
TB-  SOUNDCLOUD
HexaramaQuadraFunk©

Offline 19rocknrollcircus68

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Positive Vibrations: 7
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 03:06:35 pm »
If your playing Gmajor in key i.e Gmajor-Eminor,the way I would do it is to learn the blues scale in Eminor in all its five positions,which takes a bit of doing in itself,get confident and know it well then start of by using the top three strings,make up some four or five note riffs in each position so when your chords change just jump to a different riff at any of your positions,even if you dont mix up positions it will still sound good but a better way is to learn the G major pentatonic scale with the slide at the beginnining which is quite essential if your playing in key so you can break up your positional riffs with this cool scale eg chord 1-play g major penta scale with a few bends and vibrato at the top/end,as your chord changes fall into a fifth position blues scale riff,as chord changes again go back to your G major penta scale then as another chord begins go to your first position riff of your blues scale and basically just mix it up,obviously progress by using all six strings for the blues scale stealing and making up little riffs then learn your modes which fit into G major E minor key,this will help you solo greatly,its developing your question and answer skills,this is how I learned and am still developing it all the time and familiarising the blues scale in different keys,hope this helps a little,good luck :wink:
"Fool with Hanso Hattori slice own head off"