Author Topic: RH-010-011 • Hendrix Style Rhythm Guitar 1 and 2  (Read 43074 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 109
    • justinguitar.com
RH-010-011 • Hendrix Style Rhythm Guitar 1 and 2
« on: September 20, 2007, 10:09:07 pm »
Problems with this stuff addressed here!

J :)

Lesson Links:
Part 1: http://justinguitar.com/en/RH-010-HendrixRhythm1.php
Part 2: http://justinguitar.com/en/RH-011-HendrixRhythm2.php

Questions...
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 11:35:39 pm by Indigo »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline animl

• Positive Vibrations: 0
Lesson YT 109/110 - Hendrix Style Rhythm
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 07:48:17 pm »
Hi Justin. I've been folowing your vids for several months and rlearned a great deal from you - thanks!

I was wondering if you would add a part III to the Hendirx rhythm lessons that focuses on your picking and strumming patterns. I think that would bring the whole package together for us

thanks!

Offline brettjonesok

Hendrix lesson notes
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 08:42:30 pm »
hi justin. can't tell you how appreciative i am to you for all the great lessons and tips. you're awesome. i was just going to see if you could put up some lesson notes on your site for 109 and 110 hendrix lessons. i got the idea but would like to see the fingerings.  these lessons were two that i am really going to put to use and am excited to work into my playing. thanks so much. look forward to more.
heers everybody,

Brett

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 82
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 07:36:49 am »
yeah that hendrix rythmn lessons sounds so sweet bt some notes/tab would be helpful cuz my hearing is that great yet :D

keep up the good work!

Offline SixSteelStrings

• Bedroom Rocker
Using the thumb to play the root note
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 07:30:50 pm »
Firstly, thanks for these and all the lessons, you've really helped to revive what had become a dormant interest in guitar for me.

The problem I have with this lesson is getting the thumb to sound the note clearly on the low E string at the same time as the kind of mini-barre F chord.

Is there anything I'm missing here, or is it just hours and hours of painful thumb twisting that will lead me to the promised land?

Cheers!
n eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

Gandhi

Offline darkprophet

• Pub Night Playa
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 01:29:25 am »
Regarding the E shapped barre chord the way jimi does it, I can't seem to get the bottom two strings to ring out except if I role my fingers towards the nut. This means all my fingers are sort of "leaning" towards the nut and are not straight on to the fretboard.

Is this way of doing it OK or do I have to keep practicing with the fingers dead straight?

DP :)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 10:30:17 am »
Will try and get some notes for the hendrix class - it's fun eh :) I've just been busy :(

Re: using the thumb... it is just hard work and pain I'm afraid - took me ages to get it together. Yes it's fine to angle your fingers more - you have too - I am doing that on the vid!

If I write down the rhythms for that stuff it becomes too hard to read - best just to listen and try and imitate.

Will see if I get time to do some notes after this forum session!

J
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline rossen

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007, 10:43:19 am »
Hey there, I was wondering - can you give some tips for fretting two strings with the third finger? Thanks.

Offline Nolita

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 03:18:04 am »
Couldn't resist.  Would be lying if I said "I don't want to be even 1/10 as good as Jimi Hendrix' pinkie finger".  Even though I haven't completely mastered everything, I figure giving it a go every now and again for fun can't hurt me too much.

Here's what I think I've figured out.  For two notes with 3rd finger.  I'm not playing with my fingertip.  I'm letting that particular section of finger flatten out as much as it will(hehe only good thing about really flexible joints really).  It then goes ahead and frets those two notes while muting the note next to them(right about where my finger's bent).  It's almost like inverse fretting.  Normally I'm "playing" with my fingertips.  

Hehe just had an earthquake, guess the mere thought of Jimi Hendrix can move the earth...

Back on topic; but in this instance, and others(I've seen them but not tried them, advanced songs/techniques), you have to go ahead and let the finger flatten out.  Without really big hands/fingers, I can't figure any other way.
ingoes Ate My Guitar ~ Decent excuse when you just don't feel like practicing.
.________________________________.
  (\__/) <-- This is Bunny. Copy Bunny
  (O.o ) into your Signature to help him
  (> < ) on his way to world domination

Offline DeadlyChicken

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 22
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 04:48:29 am »
For as long asI have been playing barre chords I played them this kinda way.

Only I do not fret two strings with one finger, I use the pinky too.  it still seems to give me the freedom to pull that pinky off and put it anywhere else and still sounds good to my ear ( I may be muting the string the pinky vacated I am not sure ) .

For me that whole chord using the pinky too is very natural, and I am not sure if I will really benifit right now from learning the technique using one finger for those two strings.

a al

I notice that I do tend to have that high e muted, but I can get it to ring out if I want to, its just that it mostly sounds better to me muted :p

So I guess my question to Justin would be, should I skip over this for now, as I feel I have a way to play that type of chord, or is it really worth re learning the more advanced fingering. ?
Gear:~
Electric
Epiphone Les Paul Std, Fender MIM Strat, Gherson SG copy
Amps
Roland Cube 30X, V Amp pro, Marshall DSL401
Acoustic
Ashton SL29CEQ, Fender Malibu SCE
FX
TU-2, crybaby JH-1b, DS-2, EH Stereo Memory Man w Hazarai

Offline Nolita

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2007, 05:52:57 am »
Hey Chicken,

Not to be a party pooper but, it's not that you're holding the chord wrong(will let Justin have final word on that), so much as it's that when it's time to play some of the stuff where you hear it and ask "How the hell is one guitarist playing that all together?", that's where pinkie comes in :).  I mean, watch the lesson vids + listen to the sounds.  It's like your other fingers are working at holding down the chord.  But pinkie's a little show off.  Pinkie's just riffin', pinkie rocks.  Yeah I said it.

Offline DeadlyChicken

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 22
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2007, 06:53:03 am »
yeah I can get tha tpinky to move about and hammer on and pull of on other strings without too much trouble, which is why I wondering if I "need" to learn the one finger version ;)

e.g. under the bridge the little hammer ons and pull offs I can do using this technique and to me it sounds good :D

I can see that having the pinky free gives you more choice. I am just not sure if its right for me to start learning this methond now.
Gear:~
Electric
Epiphone Les Paul Std, Fender MIM Strat, Gherson SG copy
Amps
Roland Cube 30X, V Amp pro, Marshall DSL401
Acoustic
Ashton SL29CEQ, Fender Malibu SCE
FX
TU-2, crybaby JH-1b, DS-2, EH Stereo Memory Man w Hazarai

Offline Nolita

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2007, 11:36:49 pm »
Oh cool.  You don't wanna know...something about "I'm Pinkie the hardest working finger in showbiz.  I pity the fool who gets in my way!"  Was silliness.  I'm a goof, can't help it.

What if I say that from where I'm sitting it looks like a better workout for pinkie than finger gym?  Cuz it really does.  I mean poor pinkie.  How many solos are there where the poor little guy's stuck on the bench?  And he wants to get in there and riff baby.  He wants to, and he's right at the high 3 strings, he can reach 'em...

Pinkie's jealous.  Pinkie wants to ROCK!.  Pinkie says "Put me in Coach!  Put me in!  I'm ready!  I'm ready!!!".

Why did I just anthropomorphosize a finger?  Overactive imagination + too much coffee?

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2007, 05:42:18 pm »
Hi DC

Looks cool to me.

The one finger version is something that just happened along the way for me - it can sound cool - but mostly it's just about doing WHAT YOU NEED TO DO!

It's it's workin for you then it's cool - if not, I guess you need to work on it!

Sounds like you got it together anyhow!

J

Offline JD

• Bedroom Rocker
Hand position
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2008, 03:31:44 pm »
When I'm (trying) to play the hendrix-style 6th string root chords, to be able to hold down all the strings I end up having to twist my fretting hand around so that the neck is lying along my palm. Is this right or usual - I cant quite see if justin is doing this in the vid...