Author Topic: CH-006 • Basic Barre Chords (incl. all four vid lessons)  (Read 82582 times)

Offline dawnjess

• Good Vibes 1
Re: CH-006 • Basic Barre Chords (incl. all four vid lessons)
« Reply #315 on: January 08, 2012, 11:11:51 am »
Ive been tring barre chords for a few months now ( E major and minor shape and A major shape)

Its just not coming together I always on the E shape have a muted 2nd string no matter what and sometime the odd muted string elsewhere

My A shape one is goin just as bad

any advice on where im going wrong, is it just a case of practice or shall i give it up as a bad job

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #316 on: January 08, 2012, 11:44:10 am »
It's difficult to tell without seeing what you do, but I'll try:

- make sure you use that slight tilt of the index finger, it really helps, particularly in the beginning.

- Try changing the position of your index finger in realtion to the strings. You have to find a position where all the strings (or for starters at least the strings you are not fretting with your other fingers) are in a position where you can actually press them down. That might include your index finger not being perfextly straight, lots of guitarists bend their index finger a little when playing barre chords.

- Don't forget the guitar itself. What string gauge are you using? Is the action on your guitar too high? Heavy strings and/or high action can make playing barre chords extremely difficult.

Offline PattheBunny

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 74
« Reply #317 on: April 29, 2012, 05:44:55 pm »
Oh this i just a moan I think.   I have been doing this barre chord thing for months now and I can't go from any regular chord to a barre and back again.   And I know it's just practice but I am very frustrated.  My hand hurts.  My wrist is a little unhappy.   I am missing frets altogether when I land.  This is what happens when you go too fast.   Ugh.  I just looked at Justin's first lessons on barre chords and I can do the lessons but it all goes to hell in a handbasket when I try to play a song. 

I think Justin should do a lesson just on playing slow.   So that people like me can watch it over and over again when we start to step on the gas.   I need a meditation tape or something.  Ugh.

Pat

Realism is relative.

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #318 on: April 29, 2012, 06:00:47 pm »
Whenever I tend to go too fast practicing changes or something like that, I force myself to accept nothing but perfect accuracy (no slightly off fingertip or anything). That keeps it nice and slow until I'm ready to speed up.

A thought from what you wrote: watch out for flying finger syndrome. If you have problems landing on the spot, chances are it might be in the mix.

Btw: thanks, this is exactly the reason why I'm not that big a fan of the 1-minute-changes. I know they serve a different purpose, but this seems to be a common side effect.

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #319 on: April 29, 2012, 06:26:10 pm »
I agree that you need to practice things slow and methodically.  But sometimes you just need to go for it.  So say 90% of the time you are going for slow, as perfect as possible and like 10% reckless abandon go for it do not stop on errors playing.

I think the ratio changes as you become more advanced, but slow perfect NEVER goes away.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline PattheBunny

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 74
« Reply #320 on: April 30, 2012, 12:00:34 pm »
Shock of shocks I woke up early and had Karma Police in my brain and played it and the barres were pretty good.   What the heck happened?!

Pat
Realism is relative.

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #321 on: April 30, 2012, 12:14:44 pm »
Sounds like subconscious programming. Very effective, if you can pull it off ;)

Offline PattheBunny

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 74
« Reply #322 on: November 04, 2012, 04:21:57 pm »
I've been messing with barre chords for months. Sometimes I can get a few nicely clean.   But over the course of a song?  Ugh.

The second I try to put them into a song, by the second verse or so I have taken the guitar by the neck and swung it towards me with my forearm so that I am virtually crushing the guitar to my bosom.   I have to fight to keep the guitar away from my body.  I know it's because my bicep is trying to get into the act but it's horrible and the most tremendous struggle I've had so far with proper positioning.     I have to push the guitar with my fretting hand -- feels like with my thumb -- to keep it away.  There is a ton of tension in my torso and there is no way I can even see the fret board when this goes on, I am trying too hard to keep it level or away from me.   It's like I am possessed or something, and my body is totally doing things my conscious mind is simple confounded by.

This is somewhat of a nightmare because then I just want to play the open version of the chord and I go backwards.   Ugh again.

Can somebody tell me this is just a phase?  I feel like I need a tranquilizer to play these...

Pat
Realism is relative.

Offline Bootstrap

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
  • Never yield.
    • The Tale Of Bootstrap
« Reply #323 on: November 04, 2012, 08:16:47 pm »
Pat - it's just a phase :)

Most important part is to position your thumb correctly so I aligns between your 2 middle fingers (not your index finger)

And just keep playing even if all the notes don't ring out correctly.

Next phase = competence :)
The best guitar is the one you have in your hands
Road Case last update 11 Mar 2012

Offline allanhu

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
  • I wish I'd thought of that earlier
« Reply #324 on: November 07, 2012, 10:20:42 pm »
 Hi.
  I have just started stage 9 in the beginners course and although I have the sus chords sorted, there is a chord in the bridge of Better Be Home Soon that is killing me. Bb. Please please can anyone help. I thought full bar F was bad, but this one is much worse.
 Thanks.
 Allan.

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #325 on: November 07, 2012, 10:30:35 pm »
How are you trying to play the Bb?  Bars with the first and third finger, or trying to use fingers 2, 3, 4 for each note on the strings four three and two?

Shadow

Offline allanhu

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
  • I wish I'd thought of that earlier
« Reply #326 on: November 07, 2012, 10:40:21 pm »
Hi Shadow.
 Bar with my first finger with just the tip touching the sixth string, and mini bar with my third finger on 2nd 3rd and 4th strings. I cannot get three fingers into one fret as they are a bit chubby.
 Allan.

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #327 on: November 07, 2012, 10:46:09 pm »
Good, that is the easier way.  Best way to practice that shape (and the more difficult version for that matter) is to take it up to say the seventh fret (E) get it working, go down to sixth fret get it working and repeat that until you get all the way down to the first fret.

Shadow

Offline FChris

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #328 on: November 30, 2012, 05:27:35 pm »
Probably someone else asked this already (thinking of the 22 pages of posts) but I did not find an appropriate answer for myself.

My problem is that when I try a barre chord my fingers keep slipping torward the fret of the barre, mostly the second finger. With an E-Shape barre chord this is only  a little nuisance, it just does not sound as clean, but when I try other barres I don't stand a chance to get my fingers down as I should, since they start slipping torward the barre as soon as I try.

I am doing those finger gyms of justin but sometimes I am not sure if they actually have any effect, it kinda feels that at least half of the time I rather train my wrists dexterity instead of my fingers.

Any tips? Or at least something like a time schedule? How long did it take you in the beginning to do barres, until you could use them in songs?
Guitar is a lot about getting there, not arriving. - Drubbing

Offline Bootstrap

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
  • Never yield.
    • The Tale Of Bootstrap
« Reply #329 on: November 30, 2012, 11:17:43 pm »
FChris, for many people it takes a long time to be comfortable with barre chords.

In my experience the most crucial aspect has usually been thumb position. Most people benefit from having their thumb perpendicular to the neck and aligning the thumb opposite the middle 2 fingers - this allows comfortable grip and maximum finger span.

Also try practicing down around the 5th to 7th fret where it is a bit easier to build your confidence.

It can take up to a year or so to be able to confidently switch from open chord shapes to variations (maj, min, 7th) on E & A barre chord shapes (most commonly used) and between shapes.

One thing I did was use E & A barres to play songs that I'd learned as simple open chords. This had 2 effects - I quickly improved as it was a way of doing interesting mass practice; and I learned the notes on the 6th and 5th string (root notes) which till that time I'd struggled a bit with.

Good luck.

Boots :)
The best guitar is the one you have in your hands
Road Case last update 11 Mar 2012