Author Topic: CH-006 • Basic Barre Chords (incl. all four vid lessons)  (Read 82476 times)

Offline connelly73

• Good Vibes 0
Re: CH-006 • Basic Barre Chords (incl. all four vid lessons)
« Reply #285 on: March 05, 2011, 12:58:10 am »
New to this forum but great site from Justin. I have been playing guitar for years and never really got the perfect barre chord. I could get by but after deciding to really get some good technique and songs under my belt tried to tackle barre chords properly. It's just I can't get either the g or b string not to mute when playing particular barre chords like Bb7 or Fmin? I have gone over the lessons and tried moving my index finger up down etc... I'm using the side of the finger as Justin suggests but just can’t nail it. It’s as if the two strings dig into the fleshy part in the middle of the finger. If I add my middle finger to push down with more pressure, it eventually works but sure, this should not be the case.

Is it a case of building up more hard skin on the first finger over time?

Thanks

Offline misterg

• Transcribing Beta Testers
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 113
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #286 on: March 05, 2011, 10:30:04 am »
@Connelly73

Justin comes back to this at the start of the intermediate course - It's basically a case of sticking with it  :-\

There are some possibly useful tips in the text below the video lesson. There's no point repeating them here - have a look:

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/IM-111-EShapeMajorMinorBarreChords.php

In keeping with recent requests from the moderators to try and keep the lesson threads on topic, it might be best to post any follow-up questions relating to problems playing E shaped minor chords on the IM-111 thread (if they aren't answered in that lesson).

HTH

Andy

Offline connelly73

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #287 on: March 06, 2011, 11:31:09 pm »
Thanks andy will stick with it just can't seem to get the g string on the barre. Its not the joint line on my index finger its the fleshy part so hopefully if i build up some hard skin this will help. :-\

Offline Justo

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #288 on: April 15, 2011, 12:52:55 am »
I can't find the IM-111 thread :(

Just wondering though about my a-shape barre chords. Instead of playing them with Index finger and ring finger, I've been playing with index finger and pinky. I've practiced enough to get them nice sounding, but I was wondering if anybody could see any other problems with playing this way. Does anybody else play this way?

Offline Cue Zephyr

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 50
  • I've got the same guitar!
    • MySpace
« Reply #289 on: April 15, 2011, 01:45:11 am »
The only 'problem' I see, is not being able to use the pinky when fingering an Asus4 barre chord. ;)

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 113
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #290 on: April 15, 2011, 03:14:45 pm »
I can't find the IM-111 thread :(

Just wondering though about my a-shape barre chords. Instead of playing them with Index finger and ring finger, I've been playing with index finger and pinky. I've practiced enough to get them nice sounding, but I was wondering if anybody could see any other problems with playing this way. Does anybody else play this way?

I tend to play the same - my pinky finger is just the right length.

IM-111 thread is here:

http://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=23943.0

(Look at the header when you open the page to see how to get there -  have to admit it's not easy to remember where stuff is!)

Andy

Offline cobaltblue

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #291 on: June 23, 2011, 07:57:13 am »
Difference between Maj7 and Dom7 Barre Chords?

Offline freigeist

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #292 on: June 23, 2011, 12:02:19 pm »
Hi cobaltblue,

the minor/major 7th interval ;)

Major7: 1 3 5 7
Dom7: 1 3 5 7b
Min7: 1 3b 5 7b

If you want to learn more of that stuff, you can take a look at Justins PR-011 - Chord Construction Guide

Have fun :)

Offline cobaltblue

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #293 on: June 27, 2011, 05:11:47 am »
Thanks freigeist!

My only problem for me is I can't find these notes on the guitar fast. I mean I always start on the root note to find the 3 or 5 etc. Any advice?

Offline Bootstrap

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
  • Never yield.
    • The Tale Of Bootstrap
« Reply #294 on: June 27, 2011, 03:34:41 pm »
CB - the good thing about barre chords is that the shapes are replicable. If you know how to play variations in the open position then you know how to play them as barres. So if you are playing an A chord using an E shape barre at the 5th fret then to play an Am you just use the same shape as Em in the open position at the 5th fret (ie just lift your 2nd finger off) same for A7 (ie lift your pinky) etc
The best guitar is the one you have in your hands
Road Case last update 11 Mar 2012

Offline Fintan

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #295 on: June 27, 2011, 07:21:47 pm »
I've got a problem with my Em barre chord  :-[ every time i try to play a chord the g-string is muted no matter how i change my barring finger... ???
Any suggestions?  ;D

Offline irishalkies

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 31
« Reply #296 on: July 03, 2011, 03:30:32 am »
I've got a problem with my Em barre chord  :-[ every time i try to play a chord the g-string is muted no matter how i change my barring finger... ???
Any suggestions?  ;D

I had that problem for quite a while. Turn your finger on it's side and move it upwards a bit so that the middle joint of your finger rests on the G string. After a while your finger will develop the strength it needs to make that barre. If I can describe it in words - my fingers are long-ish, and the top of my finger is hanging over the top of the neck.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 50
  • I've got the same guitar!
    • MySpace
« Reply #297 on: July 03, 2011, 10:27:36 pm »
I had that too, and even more so with the Asus2 barre chord. The Em-barre worked itself out over time by tring things, including what irish said. I need 'em often, too. ;)

Offline cobaltblue

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #298 on: July 04, 2011, 10:47:52 am »
Thanks Bootstrap  ;D

Offline worz

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #299 on: July 08, 2011, 11:24:17 am »
I have a question please :)

My barre cord changes are getting faster now, from barre to barre and barre to open, however when i go from open to barre, it doesn't sound great because the open chord rings nicely and is then completely muted by my barre coming down. Am i doing something wrong or am i still going to slow between chords?

Cheers Worz