Author Topic: CH-001 • Basic Open Chords  (Read 44168 times)

Offline Djordje

• Positive Vibrations: 0
Re: CH-001 • Basic Open Chords
« Reply #165 on: August 18, 2013, 10:39:11 am »
I assume that you mean 5-10min per session multiple times a day or just once?

Offline mouser9169

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 32
« Reply #166 on: August 18, 2013, 11:06:52 am »
I assume that you mean 5-10min per session multiple times a day or just once?

If you're referring to my post, they can be back to back to back if you want (and spread out).

The key is that for five minutes (or three or six or whatever works for you) you are completely concentrating on the task at hand. No distractions. When the timer dings, you can take a breath, shake out your hands, and wind it right back up again if you want. Five more minutes of focused concentration.

How much total to practice depends on your, your life, and how much time you're willing to devote to the guitar. Spread out over a day, a beginner could easily do 3+ hours of practice and benefit from all of it. Most people don't have that kind of time. Those who want to be great players make the time. Most of us are somewhere in between the two extremes.
Mouser's Rules of Music:

1) Always Trust your Muse.
2) See Rule 1)

Offline Djordje

« Reply #167 on: August 18, 2013, 03:37:05 pm »
Alright. :)

Also, do you guys recommend me starting with a pick or? Since I find it a lot easier to pick notes with my fingers.

Offline mouser9169

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 32
« Reply #168 on: August 19, 2013, 12:45:59 am »
If fingerstyle comes easily for you, you may want to look into using a thumb pick.
Mouser's Rules of Music:

1) Always Trust your Muse.
2) See Rule 1)

Offline misterg

• Transcribing Beta Testers
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 113
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #169 on: August 19, 2013, 12:57:30 am »
Also, do you guys recommend me starting with a pick or? Since I find it a lot easier to pick notes with my fingers.

Djordje - It's covered in BC107 here:

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-000-BeginnersCourse.php

Justin recommends a pick to start with, even if you want to learn fingerstyle later.

(All the practice stuff is covered in the relevant stages, too)

The best thing you can do is work through the course right from the beginning and do just what's recommended. :)

Offline Djordje

« Reply #170 on: August 19, 2013, 02:43:54 am »
Alright. I did it from the beginning but I just didn't use a pick. :) Thanks though.

Offline Between2Trees

« Reply #171 on: September 02, 2014, 08:49:12 am »
Hi,

I'm not sure where this question goes but this seemed like a good guess. I've found quite few songs to play that have the first 8 chords but I've been noticing that many of these songs also have a Bm chord. I couldn't find this chord on the chords page. Is it too hard to learn as a beginner? Should I keep skipping it like I'm doing now or is there a good way to play it? Thanks for any help!

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 65
« Reply #172 on: September 02, 2014, 10:07:01 am »
Bm pretty much requires you to play a barre chord, which is a bit more advanced.  I think that is in the intermediate course.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline Tim Mason

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Positive Vibrations: 8
« Reply #173 on: September 02, 2014, 11:47:19 am »
I really wanted to work on 'Jimmy Row' by the Dead, and Neil Young's 'After the Goldrush.' Both use Bmin, but I decided that as these songs were kind of central to the reason that I picked up a guitar in the first place, I'd go for it. You can either use a chord inversion as this guy recommends - http://www.learn-acoustic-guitar.com/easy-b-minor-guitar-chord:, or you can go for the barre chord, using the Amin shape with a barre on the second fret. I found that once I'd got the F-chord more or less working, the Bmin wasn't that much harder, and, in fact, working on the one helped with the other. I'm still nowhere up to speed on the changes, but I do have these two songs that I am very keen on to work with.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 50
  • I've got the same guitar!
    • MySpace
« Reply #174 on: September 02, 2014, 03:06:32 pm »
There's somebody on YouTube that teaches a Bm substitute for everybody that only plays open chords. It's a Bm11, played as x20230, but IMO, it doesn't always fit.

Offline TB-AV

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 257
« Reply #175 on: September 02, 2014, 04:54:33 pm »
Hi,

I'm not sure where this question goes but this seemed like a good guess. I've found quite few songs to play that have the first 8 chords but I've been noticing that many of these songs also have a Bm chord. I couldn't find this chord on the chords page. Is it too hard to learn as a beginner? Should I keep skipping it like I'm doing now or is there a good way to play it? Thanks for any help!

Go ahead and learn it. If you have songs that are causing you to want to play.

Use good arm and hand position... index finger lays across fret 2. Finger tip mutes low E string. But yes, by all means, if you are inspired to play songs and that is the only thing causing a problem then learn it now.

---2----------------------
------3------------------
---------4-----------------------
---------4------------------------
---2--------------------------
---x------------------------
TB-  SOUNDCLOUD
HexaramaQuadraFunk©