Author Topic: Ringing guitar notes and duration  (Read 321 times)

Offline PotatoJunior

• Positive Vibrations: 0
Ringing guitar notes and duration
« on: November 16, 2012, 12:17:50 am »
If I play an open B string quarter note on one string, and then I play open D string quarter note, do I mute the B string before playing the open D string if the open B string is a quarter note and the open D string is another quarter note in a 4/4 time signature?

Some times it gets really complicated, and its hard to stop a string from ringing if I am to play the next note. Anyone have tips on this?

I have been trying to stop ringing strings when it reaches the end of the note, e.g. after the string rings for its time duration, I would stop the string with my left hand and sometimes my right. I am wondering if I am doing this right.

Offline kentl

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Positive Vibrations: 3
Re: Ringing guitar notes and duration
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 04:57:43 am »
There is no "right way" as far as I know but the most common is to use either your fingers, your palm, opr swithc a note so its on that string instrad, not always possible but still.

Offline Chantal

• Arena Rocker
  • Positive Vibrations: 40
  • Live today as if there's no tomorrow.
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 05:44:45 am »
There are different muting techniques, which one do you use? Also, it's not always needed to mute. Quite often, those notes are left to ring out until they either die out or a different note gets played on that string. Depending on the tune, that can work really well too.
Thank you for the music!

My Roadcase

Offline misterg

• Transcribing Beta Testers
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 113
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 03:48:13 pm »
If I play an open B string quarter note on one string, and then I play open D string quarter note, do I mute the B string before playing the open D string if the open B string is a quarter note and the open D string is another quarter note in a 4/4 time signature?

The beauty of open notes is that they can be left to ring out - what are you trying to play?

You do need to think about note duration at some point (so stopping a note ringing after a certain duration), but this isn't automatically just before the next note. If you want to play exact quarter notes, it is easier to avoid the open strings and find a convenient location to play the fretted note - just lift your fretting finger slightly to end the note - IMHO this is one of the skills that comes naturally from practising scales.

It all depends what you're trying to play :)

Andy

Offline TB-AV

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 250
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 05:06:22 pm »
The slower you play the more this is magnified. When you play faster it becomes less of an issue.

If however the music specifically requires that any given note have an exact duration, then it must be stopped from ringing by any means available to you.

If for instance you played a slow passage with an open b string 1/4 note and a sustained E note on the A string. Well you might find you could stop the b string with your pick hand fingers or even your fret hand index finger. Whatever works under any given situation is ok. The goal is to make the music sound as it should. The method you choose to do so is up to you. Generally you strive for efficiency and freedom of movement to continue playing.
TB-  SOUNDCLOUD
HexaramaQuadraFunk©