Author Topic: Product Question Theory  (Read 5017 times)

Offline monteverdi9

• Arena Rocker
  • Positive Vibrations: 4
    • http://m-verdi.com
Product Question Theory
« on: August 10, 2007, 06:32:16 am »
As long as I've been playing this is kinda embarassing, but i don't really get chord progressions and 'make up' very well.   :oops:

Can somebody tell me, does the 'Useful Music Theory' booklet/module cover this?  I'm a bit daft with the hows and whys of the guitar but I've put them off for so long it really is time.

Thanks,
Guitarists are a fickle bunch.  It's cool to go chasing after a 50's PAF tone, but put a Super Distortion in a Les Paul and you're a dinosaur.  Are we going to rock or play Sex In The City?

Offline Harpmaker

• Arena Rocker
  • Positive Vibrations: 0
  • PA, USA
Product Question Theory
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 08:18:02 pm »
Please take this as the relatively uninformed answer that it is. :)

No, Justin's RUGS Part 1: Practical Music Theory doesn't deal with chord progressions as a topic, but it does lay the groundwork for learning them later. RUGS Pt.1 isn't just a book on music theory, it is more of a course, meaning there are many exercises that he tells you to do. If you do them, you WILL know the fretboard VERY well and know where individual notes are, and how to put them into chords besides the standard ones.

You will also learn Key structure, which is very important to doing progressions (I think).
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline monteverdi9

• Arena Rocker
Product Question Theory
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 09:40:40 pm »
It is a shame that so many of those things got glossed over...in my previous lessons, i mean.  I might have to pick it up just to get a clean start.  It is silly not to know such basic things...it is like I can play quite a few songs and licks, etc...but I've never been able to connect the...'this works because of' ....I guess I'm just more curious why certain things work now and how i can use theory to get better.

Thanks for the reply harps, did you finish it or how long have you been working on it/with it?
Guitarists are a fickle bunch.  It's cool to go chasing after a 50's PAF tone, but put a Super Distortion in a Les Paul and you're a dinosaur.  Are we going to rock or play Sex In The City?

Offline TB-AV

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 253
Product Question Theory
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 10:26:42 pm »
Yes, don't forget the Theory course is being offered in parts. Sooo.... if you really want to learn it. You might want to start at the beginning.

I don't know how you could possible grasp chord progressions without first having this basis.

You have to know the notes. You have to understand intervals. Then you can work with chords and progressions and figure "why" they work.

So yes, I would say buy it, if that's your goal.

TB
TB-  SOUNDCLOUD
HexaramaQuadraFunk©

Offline Harpmaker

• Arena Rocker
  • Positive Vibrations: 0
  • PA, USA
Product Question Theory
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 12:32:11 am »
Quote from: "monteverdi9"
Thanks for the reply harps, did you finish it or how long have you been working on it/with it?

Yes, I read the whole thing, and even understood most of it :), but I haven't been doing the exercises like I should. I completed the written exercises in the book, but not the extra ones that really push home the knowledge that you need to learn the fretboard. I gotta work on that.

Justin is not a spoon-feeding type of teacher. By that I mean that he doesn't tell you every single piece of information like you were a 5 year old; he gives you the info you NEED to know and lets YOU fill in the blanks and connect the dots. RUGS Pt.1 isn't about book learning, it's about teaching you how to think about music theory. You don't just memorize charts and diagrams, you DISCOVER music theory with his help. I am SO looking forward to the next RUGS lesson!

Definitely buy the book. If you don't like it J will refund your money. Here is a copy of the Terms and Conditions:

Terms and Conditions
Basically, if you don't like it, send it back in 14 days in perfect condition and I'll refund your money. If you've damaged it, that's not cool. If it's damaged in transit, send it back and I'll send you a new one and refund your postage. I have to put up an 'official' terms and conditions - but I want you guys to be happy, so please contact me with any problems and I will do my best to help. Thanks
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline monteverdi9

• Arena Rocker
Product Question Theory
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 12:53:01 am »
Thanks guys, I suppose I'll have to fess up and start at the...well, start.  So long as I don't have to go thru the 'twinkle twinkle little star' thing...ugggh.  :shock:

Offline TB-AV

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 253
Product Question Theory
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2007, 08:28:10 pm »
So long as I don't have to go thru the 'twinkle twinkle little star' thing...ugggh.

It's not like that at all. It's totally different. It's actually fun, but not easy.
TB-  SOUNDCLOUD
HexaramaQuadraFunk©

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 109
    • justinguitar.com
Product Question Theory
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 07:31:21 am »
interesting thread...

chord progs will be looked at in a pack on it's own, but there are 3 more planned modules yet... workon on one more today (but it's a month off probably, gotta be right ;))

no twinkle twinkles in the books anywhere... except ear training... lol

Take care

J
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss