Author Topic: Singing and playing at the same time (Bob Dylan You Ain't Going Nowhere)  (Read 806 times)

Offline diademgrove

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Positive Vibrations: 10
Thanks to the example set by Anand and Patthebunny I recorded myself playing and singing at the same time. I used two mics (one with a touch of reverb) and altered the balance between them. Other than that this is me live in my studio (bedroom).

Please let me know what you think. Any pointers will be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

http://youtu.be/tP71jffTupY

Offline Tourniquet

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 72
  • Time exists in abundance until it runs out
Re: Singing and playing at the same time (Bob Dylan You Ain't Going Nowhere)
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 09:28:09 pm »
some of the lower notes are a little off pitch (usually flat), I suspect it may be down to the key taking you lower than your voice is comfortable with.
Try taking the key up 3 or 4 half steps and see what you think.

Volume balance need to be a little more in favour of vocal to help it cut through the guitar at times.
Too much reverb for me.
Too many transition effects (both quantity and variety) and not a fan of shakey cam (bracing the camera against something can make a big difference).

Guitar and vocal timing sounds good and the chords are clean.
       Road Case        Singing Primer guide

Offline diademgrove

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 09:49:20 pm »
some of the lower notes are a little off pitch (usually flat), I suspect it may be down to the key taking you lower than your voice is comfortable with.
Try taking the key up 3 or 4 half steps and see what you think.

Volume balance need to be a little more in favour of vocal to help it cut through the guitar at times.
Too much reverb for me.
Too many transition effects (both quantity and variety) and not a fan of shakey cam (bracing the camera against something can make a big difference).

Guitar and vocal timing sounds good and the chords are clean.

Thanks Tourni.

I've only just got the camcorder, so just getting used to it. Will be investing in a tripod shortly to get rid of the shake. I recently did some filming using a wall to keep the camera steady, I agree, it's so much better.

As to my singing I've noticed that at the end of lines I have a tendency to go flat, so I'm not sure if its the key or whether I have a fear of being sharp, so under shoot the note. I'm trying to correct it but it always seems to be there. Any advice will be appeciated. Its annoying because I hear so much improvement in other areas.

I'll take on board the recording tips.

I'm thinking of another song to have a go at, maybe Love Me Do from Justin's book, hopefully it will come together like this one.

It seems all that playing with a metronome paid off, although I recorded it without a click track.

Thanks again,

Diadem

Offline Tourniquet

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 72
  • Time exists in abundance until it runs out
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 07:09:50 am »
Try singing the final word or note of the line in isolation while recording.
If you hit the note when isolated you're probably right, singing the note in isolation should help break through using muscle memory(can work immediately or take weeks of effort).
       Road Case        Singing Primer guide

Offline diademgrove

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 11:30:17 am »
Thanks again Tourni, I'll try both, raising the key and just singing the last note. Should be interesting.

Offline PattheBunny

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 74
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 12:18:53 am »
I also think you are singing below your natural optimal pitch.   I'm a sucker for singing and playing at the same time, there is a thing that happens when you start to weave the guitar with your voice and your in charge of both of them that never happens -- can't -- with individual tracks.  Even very beginning singer/players have a charm when they do this for me.   And I find it very personal and even moving.

My comments are going to be about the singing.   I think you should stick with this song for a while and get it to the point where you know the lyrics so well you could sing it in your sleep.  Then think about the song and what it means,  or doesn't mean, to you.   Then have another go when you are in a key better for you, probably at least two steps up?   You can move it a half step at a time with a capo at first til you find the right place.   Don't be in a hurry.   

Playing and singing together are a performance art, and to perform you need to have intention.  Intention to do what?  Communicate something.  What are you wanting to say?  This is more important than pitchiness or timing or anything else. 

Maybe someone will jump on board now and say that this is  only one way to go.  That you don't have to know a song well, or sing anything but the notes and words to have it work.   That intention and  preparation are overthinking it.   That alot of songs are not the sort you can give meaning to.    Maybe, maybe not.   This song can have meaning anyway.  And  for me, while I'm not great at it yet, I believe it is the more rewarding way to go if you want to have a deep and meaningful experience singing a song.   And when there is that connection between meaning and music and words, you will feel something special happen.  You will.   

Pat
Realism is relative.

Offline diademgrove

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 11:33:08 am »
Thanks Pat, I'll put what you say into practice. I've already started singing it in Ab but haven't recorded myself yet.

I'll think about what the song means to me and try and incorporate that into my singing and playing.

At the minute I'm singing it to try and improve. Who knows where I may end up, but for now, that's good enough for me.

Thanks again for your advice, its very helpful. Sometimes you just get focused on try to stay in key.

Diadem