Author Topic: Justin, David Taub or Marty Schwartz? Which products to buy?  (Read 5351 times)

Offline cc5050

• Positive Vibrations: 0
Justin, David Taub or Marty Schwartz? Which products to buy?
« on: October 10, 2012, 09:09:04 pm »
Hi,

I have a choice between buying the Beginners Bundle package, with songbook and music theory (around $112.00) or David Taub's Next Level Chord Magic 6 DVD + Marty Schwartz' Music Theory 4 DVD set for around $100.00.  Any ideas?  Their sale ends Friday, so...

I *love* Justin, like Marty and don't know David, if that helps.   ;)

Anyway, thanks for all you've taught me, Justin!

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
Re: Justin, David Taub or Marty Schwartz? Which products to buy?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 09:30:54 am »
Interesting place to ask ;)

My take on this:

First off, this is apples and oranges. The only actual beginner's guitar course on the list is Justin's. If you go through the lesson index you'll see there's lots of stuff in there that isn't chprds. Plus you get 100 songs and an excellent theory guide (or so I hear). As far as value for money goes, I'd say there isn't even a question here. Still...

Marty is a nice enough guy, but his lessons really don't compare. He's pretty much quick hitter, putting out lots of stuff that goes like "oh, and by the way, here's this and that". There's very little structure, lots of jumping around and skipping essential parts ("we'll get to that later" - which may never happen). Once you've got the basics down, many of his lessons are quite helpful, but for a beginner I wouldn't recommend his stuff. Imho his real talent is teaching songs and arranging them to sound good played by beginnes. He's also good for learning all the little tricks that can make you sound better, but that'll be important a little further down the road.

As far as DT is concerned, I only know his free stuff, and there's a bit of a mixed feeling there. I used his lessons to learn early on (before I knew about Justin's beginner's course) and it was helpful, but again, it didn't really compare to Justin's lessons. Once I found Justin's course, lots of brick walls just suddenly disappeared and I went from "I just don't get it" to "I just need to practice this". It's not that his stuff is bad, but there are better ones out there. Plus you have to put up with a whole lot of "look at me, ain't I great", which I found rather tiresome in the long run.

So fwiw, I'd definitely go with the package from Justin, that's pretty much as good as it gets when you're starting out. Imvho ;)

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 45
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 01:12:31 pm »
I agree with Tq. Don't know David, Marty is good at the yootoob stuff IMO, and not really a good teacher - showing the chords and licks for a song isn't the same thing. Plus, he must go pretty deep into theory to fit it on 4 DVDs. His rock hard sell and his 'countdown sales' always put me off too.

Justin is first and foremost a communicator and teacher, and he's very consistent across all his lessons. The package is what it says; a complete structured course. If you've seen it online, you know what you're getting.

Offline Guitar_noob

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Positive Vibrations: 15
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 05:53:50 pm »
I totally agree.

Marty is great for learning songs and cool little tricks to spice up a bit your songs. But less structured than Justin, and his DVD sale offers (I get them by mail) are quite annoying. Reminds me of home shoping TV shows. "Only five seconds before my offer ends !" :D But hey, a man's gotta eat !
A few months ago, I just stopped watching Justin's lessons because I was feeling that I was good enough (we're never good enough!) and that I was willing to learn songs quicker. That's how I've found Marty on Youtube. I've learned a few songs thanks to him, but that's it. One day, I've bought Justin's DVD and went through all of them again. Now, I feel I have a purpose, a goal ;). I'm not only after instant gratification (learning songs) anymore. I want to learn guitar and understand it all. I'm starting to make some solos and I'm even considering writing my own songs. That's what Justin's lessons do :).

Justin's lessons (and beginner course) : no brainer. ;).

I don't really know Tq.

I suggest you start with Justin, and have a look at Marty's lessons a bit later.

And I guess our opinion may be a bit biased here ;).
限界などない!停滞しているだけだ!

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 61
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 08:10:45 pm »
I'd have to say the biggest difference between Justin and every other teacher is:

Justin teach you how to play the guitar. When you finish his course you can learn to play anything you
want. When you finish other peoples courses you can play some song. Usually only the songs in their
course because they don't teach you how to play the guitar they teach you how to.

Everyone knows that guy that can play a bunch of songs but can't jam with other musicians. That's because
he doesn't know how to play the guitar, he just knows how to memorize songs. There's a big difference.

Offline quahog

• Pub Night Playa
  • Positive Vibrations: 3
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 03:33:18 pm »
To add to what Stitch said, Justin's PMT course has allowed me to transfer my knowledge from guitar to piano.  I still can't play piano worth a darn but at least I know how to formulate all the important chords, apply my scales, etc.  AFAIAC, Justin is the best teacher I've come across anywhere.

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 34
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 10:05:06 pm »
I had a similar question not that long ago. I spend a lot of time looking at youtube videos and websites for learning guitar. I discovered marty a while back, and enjoy his videos some. I saw DT the other day and enjoy those too.

It was looking at the DT videos that I realized the value of the Justin courses. I was getting all excited about "making things musical", and thinking "this is way more fun than the Justin stuff". Then it hit me. None of that would have been any fun if I didn't already have the structure and understanding that I got from what I have done in this course.

Marty and David both like to describe how to play songs by saying "ok, for this is the pattern for the song, play down down up". That's the way a lot of people do it too, but what does that mean? Where does that fall in the pattern? Is it 1  3&? Is it 1, ,2, , , &? Or is it 16ths and it's just 1 &a?

They don't tell you these little things that really enable you to start breaking out of learning songs from examples, and into figuring them out for yourself. It may seem trivial to some, but things like that really put me off some lessons. It makes it seem more like mimicry than learning, and I want to learn.

I have found a few of the things DT has in his videos useful. I like his finger independence exercise better than Justin's (almost the same thing, but DT is harder). I also like his idea of stringing chains of chords you are working on together and practicing them rhythmically, so I've added that to my practice too. I'm sure I would find similar things with Marty.

I've not bought any of them, and I'm sure they all do a great job with what they do, but if I were to choose one to purchase, I would have to go with Justin just because of the broad scope of material he's covered. I just don't see that sort of depth in the other two. Their courses may seem more "fun", but I have a feeling that there would still be a lot of remedial theory and aural work to do afterwards.

Offline Goooner1

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Positive Vibrations: 5
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 08:07:33 am »

Anyway, thanks for all you've taught me, Justin!

You've just answered your own question, haven't you? :)